New SC430 owner, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-15, 07:18 AM
treyster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SC430 owner, have some questions

Hi everyone,
New member here. Last weekend I finally bought at 2002 SC430. It's got 109K, the timing belt was serviced, the tires are new, all the pads and rotors have been replaced, and it purrs like a kitten. But, it's 13 yrs old and has a few minor problems I hope you can help me with.

FIrst issue, no interior light above the windshield, the rear view mirror light doesn't work and the homelink won't program. I assume they're all on the same circuit. However, the sunvisor lights work. Any idea where to start on this, which panel the fuse might be in? This car spent it's first 8 yrs in Florida so maybe some corrosion issues in the wiring (which I hate).

Next up, the antenna was car washed. The owner gave me a new antenna and I've read on how to replace it on this forum. There's a receipt showing a shop tried to replace it but said they would have to tear out the motor to get it to feed, maybe a piece of plastic broke off in there. If I get the old one out and can't get the new one in, will my radio still work? Is there a windshield antenna too?

A speaker in the right door is buzzing, one of the smaller one's I think. Are there any gotcha's in taking the door panel off? What should I look for?

Lastly, is this the OEM spare tire? It has a Ford logo on it. The owner told me you can't fold down the top with the spare tire in the well. I browsed through the owners manual and didn't see anything about interference when you put the top down. It appears to fit but I'm not going to try it unless you tell me it will work. The TMPS light is on and 3 of the sensors need replaced so eventually I will disable the damn thing.

Old 04-18-15, 09:06 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I cant help ya with much but I KNOW that's not the original spare. Your lug pattern is 114.3 x 5. You can always get the Lexus spare tire kit for a pretty penny or several people have replaced the whole kit with the Mazda RX-8 setup, it actually looks better and weighs less. Nice car though!
Old 04-18-15, 10:31 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

trey
welcome to the forum the correct tire is 145/70/17

Last edited by bacardi11; 04-18-15 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-18-15, 04:29 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by treyster
Hi everyone,
New member here. Last weekend I finally bought at 2002 SC430. It's got 109K, the timing belt was serviced, the tires are new, all the pads and rotors have been replaced, and it purrs like a kitten. But, it's 13 yrs old and has a few minor problems I hope you can help me with.

FIrst issue, no interior light above the windshield, the rear view mirror light doesn't work and the homelink won't program. I assume they're all on the same circuit. However, the sunvisor lights work. Any idea where to start on this, which panel the fuse might be in? This car spent it's first 8 yrs in Florida so maybe some corrosion issues in the wiring (which I hate).

Next up, the antenna was car washed. The owner gave me a new antenna and I've read on how to replace it on this forum. There's a receipt showing a shop tried to replace it but said they would have to tear out the motor to get it to feed, maybe a piece of plastic broke off in there. If I get the old one out and can't get the new one in, will my radio still work? Is there a windshield antenna too?

A speaker in the right door is buzzing, one of the smaller one's I think. Are there any gotcha's in taking the door panel off? What should I look for?

Lastly, is this the OEM spare tire? It has a Ford logo on it. The owner told me you can't fold down the top with the spare tire in the well. I browsed through the owners manual and didn't see anything about interference when you put the top down. It appears to fit but I'm not going to try it unless you tell me it will work. The TMPS light is on and 3 of the sensors need replaced so eventually I will disable the damn thing.

...going to try to help some.....1st issue.....it sounds like you have a fuse out, I don't have my manual handy, so not 100% sure if all those are on the same link. If you don't have a manual, you might try changing out one of the bulbs to see if it works.I know one of the fellow members here might be able to help also with the fuse location. Your 2nd issue isn't too bad, I've replaced 2 mast.When you turn the radio on or off,do you hear the antenna motor moving? If so, then it's only the mast broken.If there is no sound,then you might be looking at replacing the motor or whole assembly. If you have to remove the assembly,there is a thread on how to do it. After it's removed,there are a few screws located on the side of the motor case, remove all of those & you'll be able to take the case off. After removing the case, you will be able to see how to feed the new mast into the motor, get it started,then turn on radio & it will pull the mast all the way in. Re-assemble,then mount it back,should be good as new. Third issue, there are a few threads about removing door panels, so it shouldn't be hard for you, but just take your time so that you don't accidently break any clips. Lastly....that isn't the OEM spare, but looking at the stamp on it, the spare should work,because it has the same bolt pattern. My spare came from a g35, it's not what everyone recommends here,but it works & it works for me...lol. You might ask the former owner, if he tried dropping the top with the spare tire in it. I wouldn't be afraid to try, but would definitely take my time & stop it in intervals to check clearance...hope this helps some
Old 04-18-15, 04:38 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to Club Lexus. For new owners it's a great idea to can through the stickies and learn to use advanced search. There's a great wealth of info here.

I'll try to help with some of your issues:

1. Check the 5 amp fuses in the drivers panel on the left wall of the foot well. If all fuses are good look at fixing the lights first then the Home Link. They might be on different fuses - the fuse box cover has the definitions. For lights if the fuse is good bulbs might be burned out ...

2. Yes there is an antenna in the windshield too but it is not too hard to fix the mast problem. First, I would try yourself the antenna mast removal procedure from the manual. You might be able to see the tip of the part that got stuck and pull it out the rest of the way. Also try to insert the new mast yourself. You might get lucky.

If not, you will have to remove and fix the motor. There are lots of threads here on how to remove the trunk liners. You only need to remove the passenger side trunk liner to access the antenna motor. You have to remove clips and the bracket for the top cover but search for that DIY. Then look at the DIY I think from MandyFig on changing the antenna. You will need to remove the motor (a single nut on the inside + the nut on top the antenna mount). If you have a piece broken off you will have to open up the motor, remove it and put everything back together. Then do the procedure in the manual for inserting a new antenna mast.

3. Door speaker. It is probably the 6x9" speaker and you should plan on replacing these from both doors. Although the ML is an 8 ohm impedence, I and others have done just fine using 4ohm impedance speakers. There is some risk in damaging the amplifer so if you are worried about it you can find 8 ohm speakers or get dual channel 4 ohm speakers and link the two channels together. I haven't had a problem but I don't drive much or crank the system up much. Anyway there is a lot of information about that here.

I would say there are two gotchas removing the door liners, The first is to make sure you remove the small black screws in the edge of the door as well as the screw under the inside door lever cover. It is easy to miss one of those screws. The second is when all the screws are off the panel seems loose but doesn't come off ... You need to pull the bottom towards you and then push it up to release some clips on the upper edge. Once you get it you'll see but you have to play with it a bit first.

4. Search on e-Bay for the spare tire specs Bacardi posted for you. The spare off the Prius and Camery fit as well as the Mazda. I got one from a Camry for $99. If you want the cover, different rear liner and the metals holders you will have to check prices for the spare tire kit not including the tire for example at Sewell (call them) or L-Parts or E-Bay for used. (see a recent thread about Sewell - their phone number and email is there). You can see both vendors in the classified section.

Good luck

Last edited by SlvBullet; 04-18-15 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-18-15, 05:33 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Congratulations on your acquisition and welcome to the forum.

Here are a couple of links with information on removing the door panel (see posts # 37 & 72) I created for replacing the window weatherstripping.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-noise-3.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-noise-5.html

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-18-15, 10:01 PM
mpezely
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing the Antenna
This is a two-person job.

•Remove the antenna retaining nut. Be careful not to scratch it.
•With the key in the ignition switch "LOCK" position, press the "AM" and "DISC" buttons on the radio simultaneously with turning the ignition switch to "ACC". Then the radio "LCD" display will read "ANT" and the antenna mast will hyper-extend, disengaging the cable. You can let go of the "AM" and "DISC" buttons now.
•With the ignition switch still in "ACC", the new cable is inserted to a full stop into the motor antenna assembly through the mast pipe hole in the body panel, with the teeth on the antenna cable toward the rear of the vehicle.
•As the person in the driver's seat switches the key to "LOCK", feed the cable and mast pipe in.
•After it retracts completely, replace the retaining nut
Old 04-18-15, 11:39 PM
CSTU93
Driver

Welcome and congrats!
Old 04-19-15, 03:38 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Beautiful car, looks in top condition, welcome to CL ! Hope all your questions get answered.
Old 04-19-15, 04:48 AM
treyster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...going to try to help some.....1st issue.....it sounds like you have a fuse out, I don't have my manual handy, so not 100% sure if all those are on the same link. If you don't have a manual, you might try changing out one of the bulbs to see if it works.I know one of the fellow members here might be able to help also with the fuse location. Your 2nd issue isn't too bad, I've replaced 2 mast.When you turn the radio on or off,do you hear the antenna motor moving? If so, then it's only the mast broken.If there is no sound,then you might be looking at replacing the motor or whole assembly. If you have to remove the assembly,there is a thread on how to do it. After it's removed,there are a few screws located on the side of the motor case, remove all of those & you'll be able to take the case off. After removing the case, you will be able to see how to feed the new mast into the motor, get it started,then turn on radio & it will pull the mast all the way in. Re-assemble,then mount it back,should be good as new. Third issue, there are a few threads about removing door panels, so it shouldn't be hard for you, but just take your time so that you don't accidently break any clips. Lastly....that isn't the OEM spare, but looking at the stamp on it, the spare should work,because it has the same bolt pattern. My spare came from a g35, it's not what everyone recommends here,but it works & it works for me...lol. You might ask the former owner, if he tried dropping the top with the spare tire in it. I wouldn't be afraid to try, but would definitely take my time & stop it in intervals to check clearance...hope this helps some
I've finally got some time to drive an observe, I can hear the antenna motor spinning, so maybe I'm in luck.

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to Club Lexus. For new owners it's a great idea to can through the stickies and learn to use advanced search. There's a great wealth of info here.

I'll try to help with some of your issues:

1. Check the 5 amp fuses in the drivers panel on the left wall of the foot well. If all fuses are good look at fixing the lights first then the Home Link. They might be on different fuses - the fuse box cover has the definitions. For lights if the fuse is good bulbs might be burned out ...

2. Yes there is an antenna in the windshield too but it is not too hard to fix the mast problem. First, I would try yourself the antenna mast removal procedure from the manual. You might be able to see the tip of the part that got stuck and pull it out the rest of the way. Also try to insert the new mast yourself. You might get lucky.

If not, you will have to remove and fix the motor. There are lots of threads here on how to remove the trunk liners. You only need to remove the passenger side trunk liner to access the antenna motor. You have to remove clips and the bracket for the top cover but search for that DIY. Then look at the DIY I think from MandyFig on changing the antenna. You will need to remove the motor (a single nut on the inside + the nut on top the antenna mount). If you have a piece broken off you will have to open up the motor, remove it and put everything back together. Then do the procedure in the manual for inserting a new antenna mast.

3. Door speaker. It is probably the 6x9" speaker and you should plan on replacing these from both doors. Although the ML is an 8 ohm impedence, I and others have done just fine using 4ohm impedance speakers. There is some risk in damaging the amplifer so if you are worried about it you can find 8 ohm speakers or get dual channel 4 ohm speakers and link the two channels together. I haven't had a problem but I don't drive much or crank the system up much. Anyway there is a lot of information about that here.

I would say there are two gotchas removing the door liners, The first is to make sure you remove the small black screws in the edge of the door as well as the screw under the inside door lever cover. It is easy to miss one of those screws. The second is when all the screws are off the panel seems loose but doesn't come off ... You need to pull the bottom towards you and then push it up to release some clips on the upper edge. Once you get it you'll see but you have to play with it a bit first.

4. Search on e-Bay for the spare tire specs Bacardi posted for you. The spare off the Prius and Camery fit as well as the Mazda. I got one from a Camry for $99. If you want the cover, different rear liner and the metals holders you will have to check prices for the spare tire kit not including the tire for example at Sewell (call them) or L-Parts or E-Bay for used. (see a recent thread about Sewell - their phone number and email is there). You can see both vendors in the classified section.

Good luck
Lots of info, thanks. You are correct, it is the 6x9 speaker. Thanks for the heads up on the correct ohm, I never would have known.

Originally Posted by Harold57
Congratulations on your acquisition and welcome to the forum.

Here are a couple of links with information on removing the door panel (see posts # 37 & 72) I created for replacing the window weatherstripping.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-noise-3.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-noise-5.html

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
More great info, I'll be taking it apart soon. I hate not having decent sound

Originally Posted by mpezely
Replacing the Antenna
This is a two-person job.

•Remove the antenna retaining nut. Be careful not to scratch it.
•With the key in the ignition switch "LOCK" position, press the "AM" and "DISC" buttons on the radio simultaneously with turning the ignition switch to "ACC". Then the radio "LCD" display will read "ANT" and the antenna mast will hyper-extend, disengaging the cable. You can let go of the "AM" and "DISC" buttons now.
•With the ignition switch still in "ACC", the new cable is inserted to a full stop into the motor antenna assembly through the mast pipe hole in the body panel, with the teeth on the antenna cable toward the rear of the vehicle.
•As the person in the driver's seat switches the key to "LOCK", feed the cable and mast pipe in.
•After it retracts completely, replace the retaining nut
I printed out the procedure from this site but this clarifies the process. Thanks!
Old 04-20-15, 10:44 AM
SebSC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome here
Old 05-10-15, 05:46 PM
treyster
Driver School Candidate

OK, thanks to you folks I've managed to get some things done.

-I figured out I had to rotate the antenna to get it to grab the motor. When it first went in, it would only go down about halfway. After a few cyclings, now it will only go about 1/4 the way up. Any suggestions?

-After doing some reading on this forum, I ordered a speaker re-foam kit and tackled that yesterday on the right door. Stereo sounds 1000% better, but now I can hear that I need to re-foam the driver side lol. I also found a video on YT of a guy doing a R&R and a re-foam speaker on a SC430. Nice to know exactly what to do before you tear into it.

-The interior lights were just loose, crappy design IMO. Put new ones in anyway. Still haven't figured out what's wrong with the Homelink buttons, if anything.

-I used the 3M headlight restoration kit this morning and managed to remove all the yellowing from the right headlight. It looks almost new now.

-I bought the 2002 SC430 Electrical Wiring Diagram service manual on Ebay last week. Pretty daunting going through it. There's an awful lot of very expensive stuff that can go wrong. Did I say I hate chasing electrical issues?

Thanks to everyone, I'm getting there....