SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Wind Deflector LED Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14, 05:05 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Wind Deflector LED Light

So I've been thinking and I know a few members have had their wind deflector etched and then installed some type of LED to illuminate the etching. Wondering if anyone has any photos of this mod and possibly any of the DIY directions? I found threads that just discuss the deflector but nothing specific to installing a LED or light. Any help and pictures, or course, would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-14, 07:12 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
So I've been thinking and I know a few members have had their wind deflector etched and then installed some type of LED to illuminate the etching. Wondering if anyone has any photos of this mod and possibly any of the DIY directions? I found threads that just discuss the deflector but nothing specific to installing a LED or light. Any help and pictures, or course, would be appreciated.
Im assuming you saw mine in my recent post of my car, I got my company name Coqui Creations etched. Now you cannot etch on the OEM "glass" which is some kind of hard clear plastic that once laser etched leaves a yellow haze on the engraving due to the chemicals and materials used in the OEM "greenish" deflector. Having that said find a Plastics store locally and get 1/4 Clear Acrylic, also ask at the store and tell then thatbit will be etched and need it to stay clear. The piece I needed was 3 times the size Id use and got it for $10. NOW, find a good engraver hopefully you have someone locally. Mine in San Diego about 45 mins from me was also a gear head and knew exactly what we would do. He was able to trace and also cut a new piece of acrylic to replace the OEM deflector and engrave it using a picture from my pinstripe and he did the design and traced by comp editing. He input that into the engraver and there you have actual NEW engraved deflector. Again you need new acrylic because the OEM yellows once engraved by laser due to its materials. As far as lighting I had some leftover LED light strip, connected that to a 9v +/- squared battery terminal to a switch. The small battery gives me a few weeks of on and off use. Oh and I threw the battery behind the rear headmount plastic piece. But... I got tired of opening and closing the roof to access that to turn on and off so now its in my under custom wood LED switch panel I built in the back compartment of the center console. Hope that helped my friend
Old 09-05-14, 07:24 PM
reelbb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you elaborate on how the led strip illuminates the engraving? Also, do you just run the strip on the bottom of the acrylic?
Old 09-05-14, 07:41 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks DJ. You were def in my mind when I asked the question. And I had the same concern as as reelbb. Just a LED strip under the deflector? Where did you run the lead wire to avoid getting caught in the motors and moving parts of the top? Any photos would be awesome to elaborate. A picture's worth a thousand words. Thanks
Old 09-06-14, 06:02 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I was going to do that with mine when installing my audio but never got around to it. My idea was to use the etched glass sign vinyl instead of etching the plastic deflector. LED's would run on the bottom of the deflector and run from the wires I already have for my sub and amp LED's.
Old 09-06-14, 07:54 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reelbb
Can you elaborate on how the led strip illuminates the engraving? Also, do you just run the strip on the bottom of the acrylic?
The LED strip lights up anything not clear... so like the engraving and the edges I sanded all light up, and yes the LED strip is simply right under the new acrylic deflector.
Old 09-06-14, 07:58 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Thanks DJ. You were def in my mind when I asked the question. And I had the same concern as as reelbb. Just a LED strip under the deflector? Where did you run the lead wire to avoid getting caught in the motors and moving parts of the top? Any photos would be awesome to elaborate. A picture's worth a thousand words. Thanks
The wires simply just lead thru the bacl of the rear headrests, either one will work. Again you can use a 9v battery to juice it and just drop it in the hole. The hole being the one behind the rear headrests when you remove the plastic headresr backs and can keep removing on and off and dosconnect the battery. Then when I repaired the factory sub I ran wires behind and under the rear seat cushioms and now its independently activated by a switch panel, once again in the rear compartment of the center console. I will take pics later for better understanding
Old 09-08-14, 09:10 AM
photalian
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered some smoked/etched glass vinyl. Going to be putting my company logo on the wind deflector, and possibly adding an LED would make it look even better, although extra attention from the cops isn't something I need So I might just stick to the etched glass decal.
Old 09-08-14, 10:42 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by photalian
I just ordered some smoked/etched glass vinyl. Going to be putting my company logo on the wind deflector, and possibly adding an LED would make it look even better, although extra attention from the cops isn't something I need So I might just stick to the etched glass decal.
I was first told to do this but the only way it will light up properly like etched glass is to sandwich the decal in between 2 pieces of glass or acrylic, but it wouldn't look as one solid piece of glass and it would make it much thicker than you need and would fit in the slot of the rear headrests. but without lighting, it should look kind of etched? Why not pay the extra bit to have it legitimately done? Its only gonna cost less than $100.
Old 09-08-14, 10:56 AM
photalian
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djsurfer
I was first told to do this but the only way it will light up properly like etched glass is to sandwich the decal in between 2 pieces of glass or acrylic, but it wouldn't look as one solid piece of glass and it would make it much thicker than you need and would fit in the slot of the rear headrests. but without lighting, it should look kind of etched? Why not pay the extra bit to have it legitimately done? Its only gonna cost less than $100.
I will definitely post pics as soon as I finish mine. I'll be cutting it out by hand without an exacto, since I'm crafty I could send a vector file to the local sign place, and have them cut one - but I'd rather challenge myself. Then I also get bragging rights after you see how clean it comes out
Old 09-08-14, 12:06 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by photalian
I will definitely post pics as soon as I finish mine. I'll be cutting it out by hand without an exacto, since I'm crafty I could send a vector file to the local sign place, and have them cut one - but I'd rather challenge myself. Then I also get bragging rights after you see how clean it comes out
Ok good luck! Hope it turns out good, just hope it doesn't cost you the OEM glass... if it does and you need one. Let me know I still have my factory one untouched