SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 08:16 AM
mydakrri
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Squeal

I replaced my brake pads and rotors and now the driver’s side brake has a loud pitched squeal. It doesn’t squeal all the time and if I let up on the brakes and reapply them it goes away. From what I’m reading on the forum, I think maybe one piston is hung up. How do you free up a stuck piston in the caliber piston? Or could there be another reason for the squeal.

I installed Callahan slotted rotors and ceramic pads on all 4-wheels.

Thanks
Old 07-25-13, 01:10 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think it's the piston, you would have noticed the piston not contracting of moving freely when you compressed them to insert the new pads. Now, I have incountered break squeal/ noise when I used a cheap pad. Normally the pad does it have a shim on the back side that helps when the brake is applied and vibration occurs. I can suggest using an anti squeal paste that you can buy at any auto parts store. Good luck
Old 07-27-13, 10:59 AM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hlthlnk
I don't think it's the piston, you would have noticed the piston not contracting of moving freely when you compressed them to insert the new pads. Now, I have incountered break squeal/ noise when I used a cheap pad. Normally the pad does it have a shim on the back side that helps when the brake is applied and vibration occurs. I can suggest using an anti squeal paste that you can buy at any auto parts store. Good luck
I second that. Pads usually cause the squeal. If you pads have shims then I would remove the shims and get brake grease between the pad and the shim(brake and caliper grease). If you pad doesn't have any
Shims you might wanna source some either from lexus or the company that makes the pads.
Old 07-29-13, 11:44 PM
Alex818
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with mine, the metal clip had come loose. Remove the tire, double check. Another fix might be to add a layer of silicone glue behind the pad against the caliper.
Old 07-30-13, 09:15 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Did you break in / seat the new brakes after installation? This involves about 4 rapid hard braking applications from around 60 to 70 mph down to 20 mph giving a few minutes time in between applications for the brakes to cool down. As Alex818 stated putting a layer of high temp red silicone on the back of the pad essentially "Gluing" the pad to the caliper will make a huge difference. A brake squeal is caused by high speed vibrations between the pads and rotor. The silicone essentially acts as a vibration damper / shock absorber to stop these vibrations and eliminating the squeal. Of course you need to make sure all of your anti rattle clips are in place along with the shims on the back of the brake pads, I glue the shims on with a little high temp red as well. I include the silicone treatment in every brake job I do and have had virtually no squealing complaints from customers. I've done hundreds of brake jobs!
Hope this helps and you get your problem fixed.
Old 08-01-13, 07:32 AM
mydakrri
Driver

Took it apart this last weekend and I found a piston seized on the drivers side. Ordered two new calipers and had them installed at the Toyota dealership in town.

When I did the brakes a few weeks back I did I could of swore the piston was out and I had to press it in. But when I looked at it this past Saturday it was rusted/seized tight.

Thank you all for your input

Dakrri