Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

axxis ultimate hell

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 07:35 PM
djjt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axxis ultimate hell

yeah, so i got these brake pads... and they squeek like no tomorrow and when i'm slowing down, i'll end up stopping abruptly and releasing abruptly.

i'm just concerned with the squeeking. if i replace the stock rotors with say... brembo slotted rotors. you think the squeeking will go away?

or should just change the pads to something non ceramic, cheaper alternative.

jt
Old 05-03-06, 07:55 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

What kind of squeaking sound is it? High pitch like fingernails on a chalkboard?

I think there is some anti squeal grease that you're supposed to apply when changing brake pads. Maybe you missed this step?
Old 05-03-06, 08:26 PM
djjt
Lead Lap

yes high pitched screetching sounds haha

there's a spray!!?? thats all i need???

jt
Old 05-03-06, 09:31 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

It's actually like a tube of grease. It goes between the brake pad backing and the brake piston...I think. So to apply it, you're gona need to pull out the brake pads. It's not a spray
Old 05-03-06, 09:47 PM
noop
Instructor

I have these on my car now, have had them for about 6 months. They suck! Squeak like no other, and the brake dust is crazy! I have to clean my rims almost everyday. I just ordered some Axxis Deluxe from Carsons.
Old 05-04-06, 08:00 AM
djjt
Lead Lap

doesn't the squeeking sound occur between the pad and the rotor? so applying this grease behind the pad and infront of the piston would work?

jt
Old 05-05-06, 01:15 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

I think its like the vibration and heat combined when the piston hits the back of the brake pad. Thats only part of the sound, I'm sure its still mostly the pad to rotor contact though. Try some different pads if the sound is really bugging you.
Old 05-05-06, 01:26 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djjt
doesn't the squeeking sound occur between the pad and the rotor? so applying this grease behind the pad and infront of the piston would work?

jt
The pad and rotor make more of a grinding sound, or a squeaky sound when wet. The noise is caused by the high frequency vibration of the pad and the caliper when the brakes are applied. Anything that can separate these two rubbing surfaces will eliminate the high pitch squeal. Putting pad grease is just like fixing a squeaky wheel, the rubbing surfaces have somthing slippery to eliminate the friction that causes the squeal.

Any part of the pad assembly that touches the caliper where it is held in place has a potential to contribute to the high pitched squeal.

The primary spot is where the piston touches against the pad, but it doesn't hurt to put anti squeal on every part of the caliper that touches or holds the pad in place.

Yes there is a spray from Permatex that works very well. I have tried the grease, but the spray goes on thick and is tacky. It has worked better for me in eliminating stubburn squeals. I basically take a new pad and place it face down on some newspaper. Then I basically spray the whole back of the pad.

Always make sure to not get grease or this spray on the front pad surface that goes against the rotor. Use spray brake cleaner and wipe off any foreign matter that gets on it.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 05-05-06 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-05-06, 06:47 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by noop
I have these on my car now, have had them for about 6 months. They suck! Squeak like no other, and the brake dust is crazy! I have to clean my rims almost everyday. I just ordered some Axxis Deluxe from Carsons.
Yeah, I actually did the same thing, I especially hated them because during inner city driving they would squeak the whole damn drive (lower speeds) the Deluxe were a god send, I'm looking into a set for the 7, because the brake dust on these OEM pads will make your head spin.
Old 05-05-06, 10:25 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Yeah, I actually did the same thing, I especially hated them because during inner city driving they would squeak the whole damn drive (lower speeds) the Deluxe were a god send, I'm looking into a set for the 7, because the brake dust on these OEM pads will make your head spin.
Aren't the Ultimates the best grip wise? I didn't go to them because I heard about the dust. I do have the Deluxe the wifey's car and no squeal and no dust, at least i don't see any on her polished rims.

I suppose that extreme grip forces the squeal to be even worse. It might be so much that even pad grease will just wear off or get squeezed out. This is where I think two heavy coats of Permatex spray on anti-squeal may have a better chance to eliminate the squeal.

If the dust didn't bother you I'd say try the Permatex spray. They do perform better than the Deluxe, but I guess it's all a matter of trade offs.
Old 05-05-06, 11:32 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ultimates are great for braking. They are not good, IMO, for daily use. They are hard, takes time to warm up, and dust like crazy. They are hard on your rotors too so expect to replace rotors often.

Once at temp, they are great. I don't need all that, though. I've been happy with the Deluxe Plus. When I talked to the techs at StopTechs, they like the Ultimates but they are good pads for street drving (if you can put up with the issues above). If you track the car, though, they recommend other pads so even with them the Ultimates are not great for tracking. All the problems and not even good enough for "real" driving. I decided it was not worth the headaches.
Old 05-05-06, 09:08 PM
blk_lex_gs
Driver School Candidate

Had the same problem. I changed to stock toyota pads with my brembos and problem solved.
Old 05-05-06, 09:14 PM
djjt
Lead Lap

i was thinkin bout going back to stock, forget the ceramic heh
Old 05-07-06, 01:04 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Akebono Ceramic pads which I purchased from Tire Rack in 2004. No squeeling and, no dust. It has more bite than stock pads.
Old 05-07-06, 01:12 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

I remember having good luck with the EBC Greenstuff pads on my old GS...

Quick Reply: axxis ultimate hell