SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

HELP: lousy paint on 2006 pebble beach...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 09:09 AM
cudakid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: lousy paint on 2006 pebble beach...

Got my SC430 in Oct 2005. the brown paint scratches VERY VERY easily. its very 'soft'. Now the "pebble beach" badges on the side are delaminating

anybody else have this problem?

It's making me really rethink about keeping the car:

so far to date:
1. defective speaker
2. defective side view mirror
3. poor radio reception
4. the paint
5. When delivered the panel near the remote trunk release loose
and other little nits

are all sc430's this problem prone???

'cuda
Old 06-26-07, 09:44 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Radio reception would all depend on where you live. Are you comparing it to other vehicles? Does your antennae adjust to the different stations? Myself ,I do not listen to the radio but the times I have I noticed the reception was far better than most of my prior vehicles.

On the issue of soft paint. Not sure as all cars get scratches over a period of time so it depends on why you refer to it as soft. Did you scratch it with something that you believe should not have scratched it? Darker colors generally will show scratches more than lighter colors will. I'm sure my silver has a ton of scratches in it that just is not very visible to the eye.
I recently picked up a nasty 2” scratch but that is not the paints fault as I painted that panel a while back and used only the top of the DuPont paint. Still scratched.

Have not heard of the clear wearing on the badges-curious if your car is an outside car or stored while not in use. Either way, have not heard or come across that.

Speakers/side mirror-does happen. I would say just about all Lexus models have had issues with the side mirrors at one time due to issues with the vendor(s) Lexus went through.

But..you have had the car for over 1.5 years and you replaced the speaker and side mirror and something aligned. I would not call that trouble prone and in fact would say that it is pretty darn decent though not perfect.

Heck, my 06 Ford picked up in Sept 05 has been in the shop 11 times for a total of 3.5 months in the shop. Now that is a trouble prone car but..expected.

Plus again, the SC430 has been considered one of the most reliable cars on the road. Not perfect as issues do and will rise up, but very high up there.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 06-26-07 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-27-07, 09:31 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm on my second one and haven't had any issues with anything on your list. Plus, I have one of the darker colors (Smoky Granite Mica) and the car looks scratch-free to me. In fact, after being without an SC430 for a few years and then buying another one, I was amazed all over again at how beautiful the paint job is.

Can't address your radio reception issue as I only listen to XM and I-Pod in my SC, but I never have high expectations for AM/FM radio from ANY car.
Old 06-28-07, 09:03 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems here regarding "soft paint." Actually it's pretty tough and scratch resistant. A couple of days ago, someone rear ended me at very low mph in a parking lot. The Altima's bumper was completely pushed in in the corner and the SC had some black scratch-like markings - buffed that thing right off with no scratches to the paint

Maybe yours has been repainted or has some body work done? Have it checked out.
Old 06-28-07, 10:30 AM
tabasco
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The paint on my new SC is about the best I have ever seen. I have put about 5 coats of Zaino on it and it is unbelievably glossy (like melted licorice). I havent try to scratch it to see if it is soft (not a test I want to perform).

I ordered a '07 BMW 335i Coupe, and when it arrived i turned it down because of a bad paint job. The Lexus dealer said he would think the car got damaged during shipping and could be fully repainted at the port without having to disclose it to the customer. If it is damaged and repainted at the dealership, then it has to be disclosed.

I hope that is not what your problem is....
Old 06-29-07, 02:34 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tabasco
The paint on my new SC is about the best I have ever seen. I have put about 5 coats of Zaino on it and it is unbelievably glossy (like melted licorice). I havent try to scratch it to see if it is soft (not a test I want to perform).

I ordered a '07 BMW 335i Coupe, and when it arrived i turned it down because of a bad paint job. The Lexus dealer said he would think the car got damaged during shipping and could be fully repainted at the port without having to disclose it to the customer. If it is damaged and repainted at the dealership, then it has to be disclosed.

I hope that is not what your problem is....
I'm glad you're enjoying your new SC! I've waxed my SC at least 10 times since I got it in February. There is a huge "payoff" after waxing the SC. "Melted licorice" is a great description.
Old 06-29-07, 09:31 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Sc430 is rated on of the most reliable cars mechanically and integrity wise. Comparable cars like MB, BMW and Jags have more severe problems like MAF sensors, electrical and radiators. Paint and adhesive should be the least of ones worries.