SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

LuxLink issue explained

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 03:55 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LuxLink issue explained

If you turn off car while top is in motion and the headlights are on, the lights will stay on after the car shuts down no matter how many times you hit the lock button on the key.

Two freak incidents of drained battery were explained by passer by in the parking garage telling me lights were on all morning. Lights came on automatically in parking garage, and I was in such a hurry that I started closing the top, pulled key out, headed for office. Even though I beeped twice after motor stopped, lights still did not go out.

At least now I don't have to be so edgy wondering when & where my battery will get drained next.
Old 06-20-07, 05:11 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't encounter this problem yet. I will take note for next install though. Thank you for letting us know.
Regards,
JP Importz
Old 06-20-07, 05:20 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bfigard
If you turn off car while top is in motion and the headlights are on, the lights will stay on after the car shuts down no matter how many times you hit the lock button on the key.

Two freak incidents of drained battery were explained by passer by in the parking garage telling me lights were on all morning. Lights came on automatically in parking garage, and I was in such a hurry that I started closing the top, pulled key out, headed for office. Even though I beeped twice after motor stopped, lights still did not go out.

At least now I don't have to be so edgy wondering when & where my battery will get drained next.
Do you have the defalut delay enabled for the headlights? I wonder if having them "instant off with ignition" (which is a programming option by the dealer) would prevent this problem.

Also, do I understand that this only happens if you kill the engine WHILE the top is moving? So if you killed the engine first, then closed the top, there'd be no problem?
Old 06-21-07, 09:41 AM
bfigard
Rookie

If you kill the engine first, then use the key to put the top up the lights will go off after 30 seconds or so. But the locks don't lock automatically. If you're in such a hurry, you'd probably have walked out of range by the time the top is finished, so you would not be able to lock the doors.

The point of putting the top up this way is you don't want to sit near the car waiting for it to finish. If you pull the key out while top is moving up, you can still beep the locks shut as you walk away. ...just make sure your lights aren't still on when you do so.

Do I have to go to the dealer to set it so the lights to go off immediately with ignition kill?
Old 06-21-07, 01:40 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

good thread, i just got the luxlink installed yesterday and this is great info to have, saved me a dead battery!
Old 06-22-07, 06:51 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never ever had that problem, you might have a defective unit
Old 08-19-07, 04:28 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I thiink have figured out the sequence here.

LuxLink or no Luxlink, if you lights are on and you turn off the car, the lights will stay on until you open the driver's door. If you have kept the original factory setting, then they stay on for X seconds after the door is open. This can be modified (by the dealer) to be immediately upon opening the door.

With the LuxLink operating the top as you get out of the vehicle, the vehicle thinks is that it is still on (which it kinda is). While this is happening, you get out and walk away. Now the LuxLink finishes and turns off the car. The car is waiting for the driver's door to open to kill the lights or start the X second countdown to light kill. Because you are already gone, the door never opens so the lights stay on.

Any LuxLink owners figured a workaround?
Old 08-20-07, 05:47 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

My wife had this problem when she drove the SC...I never did (and I drive it every day). Finally figured out the sequence and why it's a problem for her and not me.

You have to start the top-closing sequence, take the key out of the ignition and THEN open the door. If you do things in that order, the lights turn off when the sequence completes and the ignition turns off.

If you open the door before starting the sequence or removing the key...the lights stay on (because of what JohnnyCake said above...the car's waiting for you to get out).

Since, of all the things I need to do before walking away from the car, the top-closing sequence takes the longest, it's the FIRST thing I do before getting out of the car so, it's never been a problem for me. Also, I'm in the habit of waiting by the car for the top to finish closing and the engine to shut off, so I can lock the car up. I make sure the lights turn off before I walk away (I park in an underground garage both at work and at home so, I see this two times a day).

I have to say, I think the double-tap on the top switch is the greatest feature of the LuxLink! Always hated having the hold the button the whole time!