SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

First Dyno!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 03:08 PM
02Ku
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Dyno!!!!

I finally got my sc430 dyno-ed this afternoon. 228 hp/266 torque. At least to me this seems a little low (hp). Isnt stock at the engine 300. 70 hp loss seems alot. What numbers do you all put out. And if i wanna get that hp up to 260 wat are the first things i should do. Thanks guys.

ku
Old 04-22-06, 09:25 PM
herragge
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone should know this.

Horsepower ratings from the factory are at the FLYWHEEL meaning that it is the amount of horsepower that the engine puts out to spin the flywheel.

The dyno number you got is WHEEL horsepower or rwhp. This is measure at the wheels of course of car and how fast they can turn the rollers of a dyno. It is more accurate for the real world beacuse of represents the amount of power that is getting to the ground (roughly). You can get a flywheel measure of horsepower but it is the most convienient to do it on the roller type dyno that I'm assuming you did. Otherwise you'd have to remove your engine to measure power like that.

The reason for the loss is because the engine must incorporate the weight of the car, wheels, suspension and pull all of that while spinning the wheels to put out the most horsepower possible. Thats why horsepower ratings from the factory aren't the same as the dyno numbers.

Your number of 220hp seems on the lower side in comparison to other stock SC's. This is not that big of a deal because there is a difference between dynometers in terms of brand, the temperature it is outside, humidity etc. As long as you are consistent with using the same dyno if you want to add mods to your car and measure the increases, then its ok. I think the average stock power is about 240rwhp.

Steve
Old 04-22-06, 11:32 PM
02Ku
Driver

Thanks Steve,

Ya i knew that b4 hand that those numbers were at the wheel. What i meant was: that for rwhp it was low. ill keep in mind all that you said. If i get an exhaust and air intake wats the average hp increase. thanks guys

kunal
Old 04-23-06, 10:06 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Kunal

The numbers do appear low but that could be due to the dyno you used. Check a few post down for my post on my headers and you will see my numbers before and after.
Even those numbers were low but since I started on that dyno it only made sense to use the same machine for the new mods.

What dyno machine was it? Red rollers? Black rollers? Dynojet or Mustang?

Exhaust will only provide you with a few ponies. Intake will help depending on which. Headers will really help.

Lee
Old 04-23-06, 12:00 PM
02Ku
Driver

thanks lee,

Ill consider all your advice. Not sure the brand of the dyno but i will ask my brother. We were at the shop together for his vette club (his numbers: 500 rwhp/550 torque). If i were to get the three parts you all have suggested what brands. Ive done some research on the intake and it seems that injen is up there with the best. Ive only found headers on l-tuned. any other suggestions.

kunal
Old 04-23-06, 12:02 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Only headers available are made from ssheaders.com. They do make considerable torque improvements and also will give out around 18hp which is what I netted.

Injen is very good as well. Both of these will work best with an exhaust to open up the back end.