SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Has anyone changed RFT under Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-04, 06:51 AM
Deanski
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone changed RFT under Warranty?

Has anyone had the dealer change their Bridgestone RFT's to the newer Dunlops under warranty?

Seeing that my wife cannot drive the car and is afraid of it due to the way the car handles with these tires on it, I wanted to switch or at least try the Dunlops since I hear they are more forgiving. I'm sure I'll pay some type of rate charge for the current wear on the Bridgestones, and that's fair...

It's just sad that Lexus put these tires on this car.:thumbdn Suspension must be taking a beating by now!

In time I may switch to regular tires such as M-PS/2 or GY F1-GS3, but at this time I feel that Lexus has really made a bad choice as to tires on this vehicle.

Since we are on tire subject, I was wondering what the best wheel combo would be in the way of how wide of a wheel/tire can be fitted to improve handling w/o going to 19" or 20" wheels? I'd like to see a wider tread contact in the rear, but not sure what wheel size.

Please let me know if any of you had the tires changed at the dealer and what did you have to do?

Regards,
Deanski
Old 05-13-04, 07:07 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Deanski,

I know the former owner of my car had the fronts replaced under warranty for "unusual wear" but I don't know any more details. He opted to stay with the Bridgestones. After I bought the car and drove on those for a couple of weeks, I switched to the Dunlop DSST 5000Ms. Even though the Dunlops are all season tires, they handle and ride better (although still stiff) and are less noisy. They're better but, after my SC400 with conventional tires, this car is still a lumber wagon!

George
Old 05-13-04, 07:11 AM
Deanski
Driver

Default C's The Day

Now that was quick!

So far I don't think they are wearing uneven. Just God awful on the roads.

Deanski
Old 05-13-04, 07:52 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

I sure agree with that.

When I was having the Dunlops mounted, I briefly had the 225x55x16 stockers from my old SC on the 430. I was tempted to take it out for a ride just to get a sense of the difference. I didn't because it looked so funny (I could have done it at night) and I wondered if the narrower tires and different offset would give it a squirrelly feel. Anyway, now I wish I had.

I'm committed to stick with the Dunlops for 6 months. If they don't get noisier I'll probably leave them on at least through the winter. Unless there's some major leap in this RF technology, likely next I'll try conventional tires.

George
Old 05-24-04, 07:19 AM
MarsB007
Driver

Afraid to drive the car because of the Run Flats? Never heard that one before... maybe you can make a case and sue Lexus for emotional distress... LOL

How about you conduct a little experiment... take the car for a spin for a few hours... come back and tell her you changed the tires and that the car rides soooo much better now... chances are she wont know the difference and agree with you that the car indeed drives better!!!

I agree with you that the ride is very stiff... something you will always find with any run flat tires. However, that's how the car is supposed to be. If you want ultimate luxury... get yourself a nice LS430 Ultra Luxury... but don't expect the same level of comfort and luxury from the SC. Each car appeals to its segment of the market. For me the convenience of having the runflats outweighs any inconvenince which they may cause... drive the car for a bit, and you won't even notice any difference.

Last edited by MarsB007; 05-24-04 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-24-04, 08:28 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Hi MarsB (and sorry Deanski for a brief hijack of your thread),

I've read many reports that say the SC430 really is a much better handling and riding car without the runflats. I'm still working with the Dunlops but I've pretty much decided on this for next spring:

1. Replace the Dunlops with Michelin Sport Pilot A/S tires. Keep the pressure sensors in.

2. Buy and carry a cheap ($15) 300 psi 12v pump from Target and carry that tucked away in the "trunk".

3. If I ever have a low pressure warning, I'll just stop and pump it up and keep going until I get to a repair place.

4. Actually I've already done 2 and 3 so that if I have a "flat" runflat I won't have to run it flat (unless it won't hold any air) and risk ruining it.

Now I'm still trying to figure what I do if I'm off in the country and break one of these attractive (with the 5 star cap) but flimsy wheels.

George
Old 05-24-04, 08:38 AM
MarsB007
Driver

I dont deny the fact that the car probably rides better with normal tires on... what i'm arguing is merely that the difference might not necessarily be entirely there (might be more in our heads - me included). I've driven numerous cars with the Bridgestones... Dunlops... Bridgestones "new"model... and they all seemed pretty much the same... the convenience of not having to worry about the tires makes it worth it for me. Besides, I dont want to take up any more trunk space out of the already small trunk.... and before you ask ... the space under the cover is already used (DVD changer is mounted there). :-)

Yes... the ride is on the rough side... but I bought the car knowing the way it rides...

BTW, the MB SL500 is even more harsh and noisy than the SC... and they have Michelin RFT on them. As a day to day driver I prefer the SC over the SL... although the SL has better steering and throttle response. I dont know what Lexus did to the 04 SC and LS, but the electronic throttle sux now... I feel like the car doesn't respond to acceleration very well... although it does... the feeling is just not there, although in reality both cars take off... maybe it's just my imagination!

Good luck with your search for a better tire...

Last edited by MarsB007; 05-24-04 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-25-04, 01:24 PM
SpeadRacer
Driver School Candidate

MarsBoo7 - you write...
the space under the cover is already used (DVD changer is mounted there). :-)

Please explain... I'm wanting to install a DVD player so I can watch...

oops, my passenger can watch DVD's while I'm driving using the Navigation screen.

thank you for your input