Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Toyo run flat replacements

Old 08-01-03, 12:19 PM   #1
golfkwesi
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Default Toyo run flat replacements

Can anyone tell me if the following tires are a decent repalcement for the run flats:

Toyo Proxes T1-S 245/40R/8 93Y

Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
golfkwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 01:51 PM   #2
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Personally, I stay far away from Toyo, Hankook, Ventus, Kuhmo (especially 712s) and any other Korean tire maker tire.....

....but that is based on my own personal experience and MHO....

I'd recommend PZero Rosso OR Bridestone S03s as my #1 recommendation if you don't drive in winter conditions (colder than 40 degrees) as a fantastic performance tire including in the rain myself.

I have S03s on my SC430 and love them.... and ALSO have them on my other car (a VW)

SSRs and Car is gone... only got the back black seat belt pads with Lexus Motorsport written on them, car cover and seat covers now.. LOL leftover memories I guess...

REPLACED by a beautiful Speed Yellow Boxster S
ceboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 01:58 PM   #3
golfkwesi
Driver

Ceboyd,

Thanks for your answer. They were just put on brand new of an SC that I am considering purchasing. He said that they cost about $1,000. He thought that they were good tires?

Do you think that I should be concerned about purchasing the car with them? I live in Florida.

Is there any flat tire repair product in a can that you carry in case of a flat?
Old 08-01-03, 02:45 PM   #4
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Golfweski, I live in Florida and I replaced my runflats with Michelin Pilot Sports. I love them. The ride and handling are significantly improved, and no problems in the rain.

Re: tire repair in a can, I carry Fix-a-Flat, but it supposedly damages the tire pressure sensors. I had mine disconnected because of my rims, so it isn't an issue for me. I don't know of any other similar product that won't damage the sensors.
dseag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 02:52 PM   #5
golfkwesi
Driver

Default Toyo tires

Dseag2,

Have you heard about these tires:

Toyo Proxes T1-S 245/40R/8 93Y

Michael
Old 08-01-03, 02:53 PM   #6
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally posted by golfkwesi
Ceboyd,

Thanks for your answer. They were just put on brand new of an SC that I am considering purchasing. He said that they cost about $1,000. He thought that they were good tires?

Do you think that I should be concerned about purchasing the car with them? I live in Florida.

Is there any flat tire repair product in a can that you carry in case of a flat?

If this is a dealership, the guy is lying to you about cost... those are cheap tires.... if it is a private seller, they overpaid

I wouldn't turn down a good deal on the whole car if that is the only issue (the tires).. you can try them for a while and replace them if they cause problems later on and sell them or chalk it up to part of ownership costs....

I have a full sized spare for my non-run flat tires (and I have one more left if you wanted to buy one from me btw) BUT others have bought the space saver spare from the dealer to fit in the trunk spot...

..and some folks just use the goo in a can....

It is up to you.

Over all, I think you'll love the SC430 though ... good luck!

SSRs and Car is gone... only got the back black seat belt pads with Lexus Motorsport written on them, car cover and seat covers now.. LOL leftover memories I guess...

REPLACED by a beautiful Speed Yellow Boxster S
ceboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 03:22 PM   #7
LexPro
Pole Position

I just put a set of yokahama avs100 i think that was the model and they look good and are pretty quiet on a sc430 for a customer. They cost 592 at discount tire.
Houston, TX
2002 SC430 Silver/Black
Chrome 20" Daat Da52-Black pearl badges-Xpel-K40-JL audio 8" sub-JL amp-K&N-3.916 differential-Bradi front and rear slotted/drilled rotors
LexPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 03:23 PM   #8
LexPro
Pole Position

PS I think toyos are made in Japan and are OEM equipment on ES300s. Some people dont like them though.
Houston, TX
2002 SC430 Silver/Black
Chrome 20" Daat Da52-Black pearl badges-Xpel-K40-JL audio 8" sub-JL amp-K&N-3.916 differential-Bradi front and rear slotted/drilled rotors
LexPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-03, 03:23 PM