SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Performance - air intake and exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 07:59 AM
Countdamon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mandel73, I was in the same boat. What I did was add a blitz air intake, but frankly didn't think it added much to the sound. There is a axil back exhaust on ebay from a small Texas company called top speed. Its only $360 and is a direct bolt on system, unlike the bulls&#t exhaust system Magnaflow claims to be direct bolt on. The top speed added a deep growl sound I was looking for without getting too loud. For me it was enough sound.
Old 04-19-13, 11:01 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Is there a aftermarket intake kit, similar to the Injen type (chrome, wide diameter, straight pipe, cone filter), that still allows us to keep the front air scoop? I am going to modify the lower air filter box but really want to keep the scoop rather then creating a "port" behind the headlight. Hope this makes sense.
Old 04-19-13, 12:55 PM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

ShawnOK- yeah, what you said makes sense. Unfortunatly there is nothing at this time that will allow you to keep the piece that directs the cold air into the cone area. You are going to need to customize the one currently in the car or fabricate one from scratch. Keep us posted and good luck.
Old 07-27-13, 12:07 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Do you still like the Top Speed axle back exhaust?

Originally Posted by Countdamon
Mandel73, I was in the same boat. What I did was add a blitz air intake, but frankly didn't think it added much to the sound. There is a axil back exhaust on ebay from a small Texas company called top speed. Its only $360 and is a direct bolt on system, unlike the bulls&#t exhaust system Magnaflow claims to be direct bolt on. The top speed added a deep growl sound I was looking for without getting too loud. For me it was enough sound.
I was just wondering if you still like your Top Speed axle back exhaust, Countdamon? I just ordered one and I'm hoping it isn't too loud and will hold up over time. I like your description of a deep growl but hope there is no drone. Here's some pics of the exhaust of which we speak.

StillLine

Old 07-29-13, 02:13 PM
Countdamon
Rookie

It's certainly not too loud, if anything it probably isn't loud enough, but I like it.
Old 07-29-13, 02:42 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Is there a aftermarket intake kit, similar to the Injen type (chrome, wide diameter, straight pipe, cone filter), that still allows us to keep the front air scoop? I am going to modify the lower air filter box but really want to keep the scoop rather then creating a "port" behind the headlight. Hope this makes sense.
Yes - you can do a BFI like I did and others. There are a lot of postsnon the soarer forums and I posted pictures as well. Only a 4-5 whp increase but then you add the exhuast and headers for a complete airflow mod.
Old 07-29-13, 09:15 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Default Thanks!

It's certainly not too loud, if anything it probably isn't loud enough, but I like it.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to installing it on my SC.
Old 07-30-13, 05:38 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex818
Intake - No go.
Exhaust - No go.

Neither will add HP/torque that you will notice. Waste of money.

If you want sound which might make you think your car got faster then adjust the sound on your stock exhaust pipes. This is free. (all SCs, GSs are adjustable. 4 bolts underneath the car, towards rear). Anyone of u in the LA area want me to show it to you, bring your car by.

Want to have it look like u got exhausts? Bolt out the original tips it came with which is probably half black around the chrome, get yourself bolt on tips (autozone, pepboys).

I'd also clean the throttle body.

Jump in my SC and you'll change your mind....

Oh....the only thing I buy from PepBoys is zip ties....
Old 07-30-13, 06:13 PM
Alex818
Driver

I doubt it as tests and experience have proved otherwise. But sure I would love to if you were local.
Old 08-09-13, 03:03 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Default Top Speed PRO 1 Performance axleback exhaust system

Originally Posted by StillLine
Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to installing it on my SC.
Installed the Top Speed PRO 1 Performance axleback exhaust system I purchased off eBay and here's the video.

StillLine
Old 04-02-14, 09:26 PM
ChicagoRJ
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Intake - No go.
Exhaust - No go.

Neither will add HP/torque that you will notice. Waste of money.

If you want sound which might make you think your car got faster then adjust the sound on your stock exhaust pipes. This is free. (all SCs, GSs are adjustable. 4 bolts underneath the car, towards rear). Anyone of u in the LA area want me to show it to you, bring your car by.

Want to have it look like u got exhausts? Bolt out the original tips it came with which is probably half black around the chrome, get yourself bolt on tips (autozone, pepboys).

I'd also clean the throttle body.
Four bolts underneath the car ?? Where, on the exhaust ?? Got any photos? Has anyone else tried this ? tks,
Old 04-03-14, 06:02 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I doubt it as tests and experience have proved otherwise. But sure I would love to if you were local.

Not sure who has my setup to test......WR intake with CA adapter, PPE headers, Megan downpipes, Borla cat back.....but I'm satisfied, which is what's important.