SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Found One!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-01, 03:15 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile Found One!

After six months of being on order here in Atlanta for an Indigo Ink / Ecru / Nav / Run Flats / Spoiler SC430, it still has not come in, with zero ETA. As if the stars all lined up at once, out of the clear blue I had a friend in Southern California last week, who I had turned on to looking at a new ES300, page me while I was on vacation that she had found my car -- turns out she was in Mission Viejo -- they just moved into a new $15M bigger dealership and received 4 bonus SC430s, and one wasn't spoken for -- guess what color? Right, the elusive (2% of shipments from what I have been told) Indigo Ink Pearl. I make a call -- he's got to get the paperwork and will call me back in 30 minutes. While I'm waiting for the call back on options and details, I check Yahoo! -- my horoscope says "you're going to be extravagant and buy a car or PC today" and in my email was my weekly Delta specials notice with a $188 roundtrip special going to Orange County (14 miles from the dealer). Just a few minutes later the salesman calls back and in that time the SC430 physically arrived from the port in Long Beach at the dealership. We faxed paperwork back and forth, I gave him a credit card for a hold on the sale, ordered that airline ticket on the net, found a great deal at a local Hilton, and hopped on a plane on Saturday. Arrived before noon, paid my money, and the car is on a transport back here to Atlanta as of this afternoon. Can you believe all that? Never in my life, but true! ...oh, and to top it off, yesterday I determined that I had purchased my original SC300 on the same day of the month 6 years ago. Too coincidental...

Now it's going to be like a really long Christmas Eve (remember those when you were a kid?) waiting for the SC430 to at long last arrive at my home! Will be posting impressions and pictures when I've had a chance to break her in a bit, but wanted you-all to know it's a done deal for me, and I join the ranks of the other proud SC430 owners out here...

My biggest decision now is whether to stay with Zymol (7-year fan of the stuff) or switch to Zaino as many of you have talked about. I ordered a set of the Zaino from Sal, just in case... Decisions, decisions, decisions. Have to have something to take my mind off the waiting, eh?
Old 10-24-01, 08:16 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only 2%

Really only 2% are Indigo? I love mine (black interior) but I had no idea I was so unique. Gotta go strut some more.
Old 10-25-01, 04:40 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bert ... quick! Go buy a lottery ticket!
Old 10-27-01, 04:41 PM
liners
Driver School Candidate

Congratulations Bert! Just came back from the Western North Carolina mountains. We drove our indigo/echru all over the Blue Ridge Parkway with the top down windows up at 50 degrees. What a thrill!

I've only seen one other indigo in Florida since August. Next time through Atlanta, I'll wave!
Old 10-29-01, 08:10 AM
deanz
Driver School Candidate

Bert,

Contgratulations on your SC.

I to live here in Atlanta (Buckhead) and I'm on a waiting list for a SC430. They told me back in August that that it would be another 15 months before I saw mine!!! Although you got yours from Cali, which dealer would you suggest to place a deposit with for the shortest wait - mine is currently with Hennessey. I'm relatively new to the area, so your experience with the Lexus Dealerships here would be very helpful.

Also, I've never seen an Idigo SC430 and I'd like to see one before I actually purchase the thing. My initial inclination was for a Silver SC. If you're ever in the Buckhead or Alpharetta (where I work) area - please let me know - I'd like to just see the Indigo in person if at all possible.

Regards,

Dean
Old 10-29-01, 10:22 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Dean,

I think you're going to have a long wait most anywhere, but here's my situation. Bought my '99 RX300 at Nalley Lexus Marietta -- I continue to have great service there and keep going back, especially since it's only 10 mins from where I work at Windy Hill. I made and appt and went to that dealership in the Spring -- the salesman I had bought the RX from had moved on -- the guy they assigned me was a jerk and wanted nothing but my money -- was not informed on the product (I knew more than him!), it wasn't the kind of sales experience I was expecting from Lexus to be treated like I was buying a Ford, etc. I left. Went to Nalley Lexus in Roswell (very near you in Alpharetta over by Lowes and the 400) -- fantastic 1-year old dealership -- talk to "Andy Sayers" -- really good salesman. They have a policy of putting you on the waiting list for a 1st and 2nd choice with your $1K check, but it's fully refundable at any time. Unfortunately, that's what I ended up doing -- sure wish I could have bought the car from Andy, but he could not deliver and could not tell me when to expect the car... I recommend dealing with him -- I would have if not for the story above, and will go to him when I replace the RX some day...

I have had three cars I passed up with Andy while waiting for my Indigo Ink/Ecru -- an Egyptian Sand became available, and a "used" black/black with 840 miles as well as a new Indigo Ink/Black became available just this past Saturday, but of course I had closed the deal on my first choice the weekend before in CA... The point being, cars do sometimes become available, but it's a mess -- Lexus is shipping cars to dealers but not necessarially where the demand is it appears, and they have some kind of way they receive volume based on volume they sell, customer sat, and their investments in Lexus, from what I can tell. Of course, as time goes on, people drop out and don't want to buy the car -- nearly 50% drop out at Nalley Roswell for example. I don't think any dealership has a real good way to tell you how long it will be, except some of the folks out here have at least received a call when the car is shipping and they have a 2-3 week countdown to delivery. Lexus is not shipping cars between dealerships either to match demand -- probably because demand is so high and the cars will sell anyway -- I tried to get Andy to get it from Mission Viejo, but no could do. Delivery does not seem to mix between dealerships with the same owner either, or at least that is the situation with Nalley where the delivery time is 18 months at the Marietta location (the more established dealer). A friend of mine was up in Cincinnati a couple of months ago and there were 3 SCs available for sale -- 1 in the showroom that had just come in and none were spoken for at that point -- when I called 2 days later, they were sold and gone! I saw two at the Honolulu dealership (an awful long way to ship, won't have Nav, but good as backups for RodF if he needs a second car!) while I was there a couple of weeks ago. It's all very strange. In my case, I really believe part of the problem with getting delivery was I had also chosen a color that just isn't produced very often (2%) and less than that if you think through interior color combinations -- I was #2 or #3 on the list when I placed the order, but still didn't get one in nearly 6 months of waiting -- you may want to consider that point and discuss with your salesman -- there are a lot more silvers out there. Saw a Silver/Ecru while in Mission Viego -- that would have been my 2nd choice, but like the Indigo Ink, I would have never guessed I would want the combo from the small paint chips in the brochure -- I saw one that happened to be under prep for delivery back in June in Roswell -- had to have it, and held out until the miracle finally occurred... Additionally, about 2 months ago, I called 20+ dealerships in Georgia and all adjoining states -- same story -- 9-12 month delivery, but come in and give us your deposit -- happy to put it "on order" for you. You could consider putting the car on order at multiple dealerships I suppose if you understood their refund policy well enough...

I've not dealt with Hennessey here in Atlanta, so I don't have any advice there -- they are the largest in terms of dealerships, by far in the Atlanta region. Dealerships vary though -- sales at Nalley in Roswell is much better than Marietta at least with my experience. Guess you just have to give it a go...

If you are still interested in seeing the Indigo Ink in person, drop me a PM and I'll try to hook up after Thanksgiving or early December -- I'm traveling most of next month and won't get to play with the new SC430 very much, I'm afraid. Gotta get that multi-day Zaino job in there somewhere too before I take her out in public...