SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Yet another cluster.. Do I have one issue or multi issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 04:14 PM
ghoul
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another cluster.. Do I have one issue or multi issues?

Let me start by apologizeing; I know you guys see a lot of theses (mostly because I read the threads!)
Not all the issues seem to be the same so I thought I would post.... That and lextech.org seems to not like the "here's my cluster fix it" peeps.
I got this 95 with about 200k miles and little to no back story.
The speedometer, and half the cluster lights appeared to be dead when I bought it (including needle lights)... Tach and all other gauges appear to be working (again, except for needle lights). But today after driving it for a bit I noticed the O/D disable light flashing, so I pressed the little button on the shifter and the trans dropped a gear and the light became solid, when I pressed the button in again the trans shifted into OD the speedometer started working and the OD light continued to flash.
From what I have found in my research lights out/no speedometer seems to be cluster microchip or bad solder joints however, intermittent speedometer and flashing OD light seems to be attributed to bad speed sensor or other trans issue.....

Is there a common ground or perhapse a short of some type in the cluster that can cause all of this? Or do you suppose there are multiple issues at play here? Is there something I can do to troubleshoot or potentially fix any of this (like re-soldering every contact on the back of the cluster) or should I just send the cluster off with a note that says "please fix this" receive my but chewing, then troubleshoot after the repaired cluster shows up?????

Last edited by ghoul; 05-04-15 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-04-15, 06:52 PM
ghoul
Driver School Candidate

Ok here is what I'm facing

I poped the lense off and instently got the feeling someone's been here before (nail polish on the needles)

So that establishes yes, the needle lights have been out for some time...
And I took off the back guard off and found this.... (Broken in half diode? In r19 slot)

I poked super lightly at it and it poped right off.... So.... Yeah... Time to send it to the pros eh?!
Old 05-04-15, 08:05 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't even try and fix that cluster, looks like an inexperienced individual was in there before and it looks like its missing something...that's what I would do, anyways.
Old 05-05-15, 09:35 AM
ghoul
Driver School Candidate

Awww, you're no fun! Lol
Found a picture of another board; looks like there was a resister in r19 about the same size as the fragment I removed... Looks like it got hot and poped...

Can't tell if that's 10 with an ohm symbol or 100? Oh well, breezed in an email to lextech I'll keep lightly poaking this cluster till I hear back...
Old 05-05-15, 09:49 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Check with Tanin, also a forum sponsor. They're doing ECU repairs now, too. I think you mentioned in the other thread also having the typical HVAC LCD bleed. Send that in at the same time and they'll have your car looking like "new" in a few days.
Old 05-05-15, 10:20 AM
ghoul
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by t2d2
Check with Tanin, also a forum sponsor. They're doing ECU repairs now, too. I think you mentioned in the other thread also having the typical HVAC LCD bleed. Send that in at the same time and they'll have your car looking like "new" in a few days.
Good call, I will drop them a line for sure. I do have the HVAC bleed issue however i ebay-Ed a replacement screen for $30 shipped so I will tackle that one on my own.
I checked with a few of the electrical boys here in the shop and learned a few things;
That was "100" on the back of the resister and what that means is its a 10 ohm resister. Apparently what they do is add a digit at the end of a number to tell you how many 0 follow the value....
For example
100=10 ohm
101=100 ohm
102=1000 ohm
103=10,000 ohm
Ect..... So I'm now on the hunt for a 10ohm serface mount resister and a short on the bored somewhere....
That's if I don't get a response to my emails...