SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Are Stock SC400 Really Slow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 04:03 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I thought my SC400 was pretty fast, up until I bought my GS460, then it seemed like a slug. Then again, the GS is 13 years newer, and has over 100 more hp.... The SC was great on the freeway when I needed to punch it because it had the 4-speed, so the revs were always up and ready to go, but that's probably why all the gas station owners loved me... It's not a SLOW car, but it certainly isn't fast by today's standards.
Old 10-28-14, 12:17 PM
King700se
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with TRD....on the highway and at higher speeds its fairly quick. I had a nice little pull session with a buddy of mine last night on the interstate. He's got a 14 focus ST that is chipped, intake done, and down pipe on. We had messed around in town before and he would always get the jump on me from about a 40 roll and just leave me. But last night on the interstate had a different outcome...

....we both hit it cruising at about 65 and he stayed right next to me for a couple of seconds then i just slowly started creeping way from him. Surprised the hell out of me to be honest. And im driving a 93 SC400 that is completely stock with 104k miles on her. Only thing ive done - took resonators and mufflers completely off. You cant make these cars sound bad!!!
Old 10-28-14, 01:48 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

My experience is similar to King700se and TRD_Power. Around town, the car is quick but not blazing fast. But at highway speeds, the first time I laid into it to pass, I was amazed how strong and effortlessly it pulled.

Having done the A/T solenoid bypass mod, it's also pretty darn fast around town now.
Old 10-28-14, 02:04 PM
King700se
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
My experience is similar to King700se and TRD_Power. Around town, the car is quick but not blazing fast. But at highway speeds, the first time I laid into it to pass, I was amazed how strong and effortlessly it pulled.

Having done the A/T solenoid bypass mod, it's also pretty darn fast around town now.

This A/T solenoid bypass all you fellas speak of....i need dis!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-14, 03:05 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by King700se
This A/T solenoid bypass all you fellas speak of....i need dis!!!!!!!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...it-s-free.html
Old 10-28-14, 05:12 PM
JoeSchmoe
Driver School Candidate

Default In between.

I had a 92 400. It was a nice car. In terms of fast....it depends on what you're comparing it to.

In the 70's I had Chevy hot rods that would blow the doors off the SC400. But you have to realize that the 400 motor is a VERY small V8. I don't know what it is in cubic inches, but the little old 283 Chevy was probably bigger. Forget about the modern day Vette's that get 650 HP.

I liked my SC 400 and the sound of the motor was cool. And that motor is one of the most dependable and long lasting in all of history. One of the very best engines ever made.

That said, I tend to prefer the 300's and the inline six. For some reason they feel better to me. Maybe the V8 is a bit heavier? My SC300's just seem to handle a little better than that 400.

But I loved my 400. It was burgundy and people raved about the "beautiful car."
Old 10-28-14, 07:35 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The inline 6 is an iron block while the V8 is an aluminum block, so if you'll believe it the inline 6 is actually slightly heavier than the v8 in the SC's.
Old 10-28-14, 07:48 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

yes. its not even considered a quick car IMO but i dont think it was meant to be. it indeed sounds great that makes up for it.
Old 10-28-14, 08:09 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not slow, not fast....just leave it as that. Lol
Old 10-29-14, 10:19 AM
JoeSchmoe
Driver School Candidate

Default Great car, not a race car.

I think maybe some folks expect too much out of these cars. They were never meant to be race cars. They're too heavy. The SC's are gorgeous luxury cruisers that last forever, with bulletproof motors and transmissions that will go 400K if you change the fluids. Just that fact alone makes these cars an engineering marvel.
If you want fast and cheap, get a V8 Mustang or Camaro. An American V8 already has more HP to start with. Even the turbo SC's are no match for a hotrod Chevy V8.
And don't misunderstand what I'm saying here. I love the SC's and I've had five of them. But I keep mine stock and i don't run the crap out of them.
Back in my hot rod days I spent a fortune to go fast. Blown motors, broken rear ends, torn up transmissions....that gets very expensive. And it's a full time job working on a car like that.
And, I hate to be s downer, but there's always the chance of having a bad crash. Look at Paul Walker. Horrible.
My close buddy in high school was street racing his 66 hotrod Nova one night and had a big crash. His girlfriend was a passenger in the car and she died. He never got over it. I think he barely avoided jail time.
Going fast has it's downside.
Old 10-29-14, 10:42 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My SC is a my daily driver to work. It is more than fast in So Cal freeway morning and evening traffic.
Old 10-29-14, 10:49 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe
I think maybe some folks expect too much out of these cars. They were never meant to be race cars. They're too heavy. The SC's are gorgeous luxury cruisers that last forever, with bulletproof motors and transmissions that will go 400K if you change the fluids. Just that fact alone makes these cars an engineering marvel.
If you want fast and cheap, get a V8 Mustang or Camaro. An American V8 already has more HP to start with. Even the turbo SC's are no match for a hotrod Chevy V8.
And don't misunderstand what I'm saying here. I love the SC's and I've had five of them. But I keep mine stock and i don't run the crap out of them.
Back in my hot rod days I spent a fortune to go fast. Blown motors, broken rear ends, torn up transmissions....that gets very expensive. And it's a full time job working on a car like that.
And, I hate to be s downer, but there's always the chance of having a bad crash. Look at Paul Walker. Horrible.
My close buddy in high school was street racing his 66 hotrod Nova one night and had a big crash. His girlfriend was a passenger in the car and she died. He never got over it. I think he barely avoided jail time.
Going fast has it's downside.
BIG reason why I drive extra safe with people in the car. I'd never forgive myself if I got into an accident by driving like a moron and my passenger lost their life. Keep the fast driving on the track The nice thing with the SC being so heavy is the fact that it's safe. Lost my SC a little over a month ago to a driver going 35-40 mph; when she rearended it, the back was pretty mangled up, but the interior was completely unaltered. I'll take safety over speed any day of the week.
Old 10-29-14, 05:37 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use to own a 92 SC400 and 92 SC300 5spd which was later turbocharged(na-t). In stock form they both were quick, but not fast IMO. My 5spd SC300 felt a bit faster than the SC400 stock. However, I got power hungry and turbocharged it. My search for more power ended up with a blown motor and ended up getting rid of the car after fixing it.

I'd really like to test drive a 98-00 SC400 but it seems even those years are getting pretty rare. If I ever buy a 98-00 I'd probably keep it forever this time.
Old 10-29-14, 07:03 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you check out the numbers of SC's sold in the U.S. per year (more 300's than 400's) you'll find the newer they get the less there is. So try not to destroy them! They were built to cruise @ speed all day long & handle as well. They were never meant to be drag raced or drifted. 4.0L Breaks down to appx 258Ci that is a small V8 by any standard. I put a GF chip in my 96 SC400 which definetlly improved my hp & fuel ratio. I've not had it dyno'd but am sure it's over 300hp now. still doing other things to help increase it's breathing, better exhaust , ETC. When this car is done I'm going to cruise it cross country (east coast to west coast & back) @ speed & in style. Look for me to be flying thru your town & don't blink! you might miss me. LOL. All Natural no boost.
Old 10-29-14, 10:49 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,224 Likes on 859 Posts

There is nothing wrong with a turbocharged SC and no reason to trade reliability when it's done right but that can get very expensive. 300-350hp is all it really needs to get out of its own way from a standstill. In all other situations even the SC300 has enough power most of the time (highway, etc)... unless what you want is to go VERY fast.

Safety is a reason I chose this car but it's also why I upgraded the suspension, braking system and tires. Aftermarket traction control can help too but as mentioned by everyone above there is no replacement for a careful, alert and attentive driver behind the wheel. On the car's design, look at the location of the gas tank: you don't get a fold down seat and the center of gravity is higher but what a gain in safety by placing it upright between the trunk and back seat.

I don't believe in bling but I don't believe in stock as a reassurance. I believe in better hardware to help the driver to execute safe decisions quickly.

All that said, the SC400 engine is extremely well designed with over 400 million (1989) dollars invested into the overall package. It may not be the fastest or biggest V8 but it will run for a very, very, very long time if it's maintained. So will the 2JZ but the 1UZ is a landmark V8 the world had to follow and it was in service for almost fifteen years solid.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-29-14 at 10:54 PM.