SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is the SC reaching classic car status?

Old 08-14-15, 11:40 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Is the SC reaching classic car status?

I don't think so, but something happened recently that makes me believe some people are trying to reach for this. I've mentioned previously that my mom gave me her 1992 SC400 about 8 months ago. I'm loving the car, but my mom makes comments to me here and there that she wishes she would have driven it more when she had it. About a month ago, I saw a beautiful Garnet Pearl 1992 SC400 come up here in LA on Craigslist with about 60,000 miles. It was a one owner car and stated that a lot of the common SC400 issues had been addressed. The owner was asking around $6,000. I was going to go check it out and surprise my mom with it if everything checked out. Well I emailed the owner 2 days after the ad was posted. They responded the car had sold... I was bummed/shocked that it went so quick. Well, about a week later, I was looking on eBay motors and sure enough here is the same SC400 with a $12,000 asking price. I was kind of shocked to see that someone thought they could flip an SC400 for that kind of profit. Once I saw the higher quality pictures on eBay, I realized it wasn't in the amazing condition that the owner described on the CL ad, although it is in great shape for the age.

Anyone have opinions on the classic status of the SC and if/when it will become one?

Last edited by COOLIS; 08-14-15 at 11:58 AM. Reason: no outside FS links
Old 08-14-15, 11:47 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

please avoid outside For Sale links as per our forum rules
Old 08-14-15, 04:02 PM
SMWallis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic?

Based on how often someone stops me to say they think its good looking, they used to have one, etc I have to think it is gaining status everyday.
Old 08-14-15, 04:23 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we are almost there to import them and drive them legally,another 4 months? so this will most likely spark more interest
Old 08-14-15, 05:11 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Someone saw a steal, and is trying to make big profit, no surprise there. As far as classic status, I don't think the SC is there yet. If they stopped making it in say 95-97 I would probably agree, but they stopped making them in 2000. I think we got at least another 5-7 years before it's considered a classic.
Old 08-14-15, 05:25 PM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This doesn't surprise me one bit. These cars are being flipped left and right. I am currently in the market for a decent condition SC. The scenario you mentioned originally is exactly what I'm looking for; however, on the east coast the dealers are quicker and buying these cars to flip.

I've been watching and the cars are just sitting based on the prices. So it is unusual to me that the prices are so extremely high. They are not selling fast at all.

I would like to hear from others that are searching because I keep reading about all these steals and deals, but I'm not coming across any at all. LOL.
Old 08-14-15, 05:35 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

its like the housing market, the end
Old 08-14-15, 06:12 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

They are technically classics now or are about to be if you go by the 25-year "classic" designation most DMVs use. Popular and widely notable classics... not so sure on that one at present time but we'll see. Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens to the market once Z30 Soarers become legal for import.

I agree with you, mikef. It goes up and goes down.
Old 08-14-15, 07:08 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Funny, there was a thread exactly like this a couple years back. And another one a couple more years back before that.

I think what makes one a classic car is, when people start paying a higher than market value because of how much it means to them personally to have one in possession. And yes, these cars has been a classic in quite some time now, just low key, and probably not by what the majority considers what a classic is.
Old 08-14-15, 07:22 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The only thing I notice is that they are plenty of them for sale, prices are very affordable

Insurance rates seems to increase from people crashing them
And getting smog profile of high modification car that every smog test they select sc to test only

Still a long way to go...
Old 08-14-15, 11:19 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
I think what makes one a classic car is, when people start paying a higher than market value
Technical definitions aside, I would agree. Until you see a SC highlighted on the auction block of a televised event, don't kid yourself about it being a mainstream classic. Cult classic, maybe, but that's an entirely different ballgame.

A true classic evokes: "Man, I love those cars."

The SC without fail evokes: "I've always liked those cars." Anyone and everyone I've talked to with familiarity of the SC has phrased it the exact same way. It's appreciation but not lust.
Old 08-14-15, 11:21 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by SC3coupe
Insurance rates seems to increase from people crashing them
And getting smog profile of high modification car that every smog test they select sc to test only
In my experience the insurance rates haven't changed much, but since the market is depressed for these cars it does make it more difficult or at least tedious to make sure you're covered for the amount it would actually take to replace your particular car with something identical.

The second issue (for Californians) is extremely annoying but we aren't the only ones so affected.
Old 08-16-15, 07:57 AM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I really want Moog's new car (from Mighty Car Mods) to be a Soarer. The value will shoot up.
Old 08-16-15, 05:05 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

As much as most of us love the first gen SC models, they will never reach the true status of a classic similar to the US muscle cars or European exotics.

The stock versions are fine but what really has set these cars apart is the various modifications made to the engines and suspensions some of which are just total monsters.

Arguably, the most attractive cosmetic change made is the jump from 15/16 inch wheels to the 18s and 19s and 20s depicted on the numerous photos shared on this forum. By far, the most attention and comments I get are about the wheels.

Enjoy these while we can and with prices low on a "starter" and mods reasonably available and affordable there will be many years ahead to debate this again.....
Old 08-16-15, 08:15 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I could say it got my car for a steal, i bought a wrecked 99, with minor body damage repaired it for 1300. so i got a 99 with 176K for 2300

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the SC reaching classic car status?