SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Door stuck shut, at a lose...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-14, 07:29 PM
Rhoderman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand completely. And, if my door is ever locked shut, I will definitely try to find you.
Old 08-03-14, 10:02 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

Excellent work and equally good documentation of everything you did! This will surely come in handy when someone is up **** creek in the future.
Old 08-04-14, 02:08 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The saga continues.

I got the new plastic clip and put it on, closed the door and attempted to reopen from the outside. The rod popped loose again with just slight pressure. I opened the door again from the inside(super easy with the panel off ha) and repositioned the clip and tested the outside handle while watching/feeling the connection. Everything seemed fine and moved freely. I used a flat bad screw driver on the door actuator to simulate the door being closed and the clip popped free once it hit resistance. I tried that a few times then put the clip back in, closed the door and very gently opened from the outside and as long as I barely move the outside handle the door opens and the clip stays in place. Too much force or moving the handle too far and it pops right off.

I at first thought the rod had bent and was just going down at a bad angle so I took the inside handle off the door panel and attached it back to the door with the cables and that handle doesn't work. I checked the cables and they seem fine. I can't tell if the cable stretched or if the actuator is binding up. I am betting the actuator is binding up since the inside handle does not work either, seems the obvious place for the problem to be,

Any more advice to try and get this worked out would be great. It seems the actuator is a bit of a hassle to get at, removing the window guide seems like it would free up enough space though. I am almost considering drilling a hole through the end of the actuator rod and using a cotter pin to keep it in place for any future issues.

I also sadly managed to mess up the power window regulator in the process, the cable seems to have come off the track slightly, I would seriously consider a new door at this point and just bolt it on ha.
Old 08-04-14, 02:25 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,
I just posted a write up about this and inside it there are links regarding the replacement of the actuator. Do you have a drill press or something ? The end of the actuator rod is so round I don't see how you can drill a hole. I would have loved to have done that..

Is there pressure on the rod away from the hole ? i.e. is there pressure against your hand as you pop the rod back in ? If so , the bottom must be bent.

Since you're having trouble with the inner cables, you'd probably need a new actuator.

Here's a link for replacing the window regulator if you have to. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...p-by-step.html

I'd recommend getting new parts since installing them is such a pain.

Also, be careful unscrewing the screw holding the rear window guide. I stripped mine even after using liquid wrench for a few hours - shoulda let it soak in overnight.
Old 08-04-14, 04:13 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Originally Posted by jpw
Hi,
I just posted a write up about this and inside it there are links regarding the replacement of the actuator. Do you have a drill press or something ? The end of the actuator rod is so round I don't see how you can drill a hole. I would have loved to have done that..

Is there pressure on the rod away from the hole ? i.e. is there pressure against your hand as you pop the rod back in ? If so , the bottom must be bent.

Since you're having trouble with the inner cables, you'd probably need a new actuator.

Here's a link for replacing the window regulator if you have to. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...p-by-step.html

I'd recommend getting new parts since installing them is such a pain.

Also, be careful unscrewing the screw holding the rear window guide. I stripped mine even after using liquid wrench for a few hours - shoulda let it soak in overnight.
Thanks for that, I looked at the weird bolt holding the glass in place and had no clue what i was going to use to unscrew that, makes sense after seeing your write up. Also I put a screw driver on the lower screw holding the guide in place and felt it starting to give so I backed off before stripping it, letting it soak and plan to really be mindful of that but good heads up.

The actuator rod slips back into the handle pretty easy, there is slight pressure so it is likely bent, the window was hitting it I am sure of that. I plan to pull the actuator out and having a look. I've found a few other threads explaining how to fix/remake the rod. Once I have it out I will see better what is binding things up I hope. When I use the inside door handle i can see something moving in the actuator just not moving enough it seems.

I have a friend with a drill press but I was going to throw the rod in a vise and just use the smallest bit I could find at first, didn't think it would be too difficult that way, could be wrong though.

It all really just sucks that the small piece of plastic broke and has caused me all of this grief. Granted, I should have been a little more gentle with the window but I needed to pull it up a few inches, should have known something would break. After the cost of a new regulator and new actuator I am near 300-400 bucks, saved the door panel though and didnt go cutting into the outside of the door . STill a chance I can save the regulator, maybe one of the plastic guides broke and I can plastic weld it. Also the actuator may be ok just again something I can fix inside of it but worst case being 400 bucks still sucks but could be worse.
Old 08-04-14, 06:07 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

Not sure what color your car is, but here are some doors:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...and-doors.html
Old 08-04-14, 10:39 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just curious, did you use a OEM clip designed for Toyota products? I bought a blister pack of clips from the parts store first & they just kept popping off every time I opened the door from the outside. When I finally ordered the correct ones & made sure I straightened the rod correctly I had no more problem. To get to the latch in the door you pretty much have to pull the guts out of the door to get to it. Clip must snap into latch hole very firmly & over rod the same.
Old 08-04-14, 11:59 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
Just curious, did you use a OEM clip designed for Toyota products? I bought a blister pack of clips from the parts store first & they just kept popping off every time I opened the door from the outside. When I finally ordered the correct ones & made sure I straightened the rod correctly I had no more problem. To get to the latch in the door you pretty much have to pull the guts out of the door to get to it. Clip must snap into latch hole very firmly & over rod the same.
I got it from the dealer using the part number from the other thread and it looks identical. It doesn't snap into the door handle firmly but just snug, fits onto the connecting rod pretty tight.
Old 08-05-14, 10:05 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have done this to other cars that the hole in the handle is a bit worn. take some teflon tape & put abit on the clip where it goes thru the hole. Push clip thru hole in handle , making sure it seats properly, then turn it up slightly out of the way with rod snap openings facing towards where rod will be. Then push rod thru opening in clip firmly, then swing clip down & snap it over rod. Clip must be installed in handle hole first. If you can get some oil to the latch, oil where rod goes into latch.