SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New guy

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 04:54 AM
RaginLEXXX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy

Wanted to introduce myself...i reside in Hampton, Va. I am new to this platform. Any help/advise on this platform would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for a 5 speed SC300. My budget will be between 3000-4000. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think advise wise.

Last edited by RaginLEXXX; 11-02-13 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-02-13, 11:49 AM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If possible I think you should try to find the newest and/or cleanest manual you can. They only came for the SC300 from 92-97, only 120 were made in 97 though. However these are relatively old cars and it's pretty tough to see it well taken care of. So with that budget I think you're only going to get something pretty worn out, and let me tell you that fixing the older SC's is not cheap.

Usually the guy's who settle for any running SC has money to fix it or is going to turn it into a project. As much as I like my car I wish it was more practical. SC's are known to be pretty bad on gas and it's longer than most cars.
Old 11-02-13, 12:08 PM
RaginLEXXX
Driver School Candidate

Yay, a response...so I would have to expand my budget then...is there a significant difference between the older cars and the 96-97? I own a Legend coupe so yeah know about expensive maintenance. Yeah they seem bad on gas so mine will be a weekend warrior. Thanks Asterisk, the search if officially on

Originally Posted by ASTERiSK
If possible I think you should try to find the newest and/or cleanest manual you can. They only came for the SC300 from 92-97, only 120 were made in 97 though. However these are relatively old cars and it's pretty tough to see it well taken care of. So with that budget I think you're only going to get something pretty worn out, and let me tell you that fixing the older SC's is not cheap.

Usually the guy's who settle for any running SC has money to fix it or is going to turn it into a project. As much as I like my car I wish it was more practical. SC's are known to be pretty bad on gas and it's longer than most cars.
Old 11-02-13, 12:53 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 124 Posts

There are a few year to year updates that they have done, you would have to find a website that lists them all, cant really remember all of them.

The most common known difference is that in 97 they updated the body style. I think that was also the year they introduced vvti for the engine. 98+ are all automatic and came with a gated auto shifter as opposed to the strip.

97 5sp is the rarest and most sought after.

When it comes to maintenance, i suggest staying away from the dealership. They will charge you up the you-know-what and will only mess things up. At least that was my experience.

Im not familiar with the prices in VA but in FL 4k will get you a really clean 95 or a 97+ in a more rough shape.

Best of luck on the search. Hit up Craigslist a lot. When i was looking for my car i searched autotrader, cars.com and craigslist and ended up buying it from Craigslist from an older man.
Old 11-02-13, 02:24 PM
RaginLEXXX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks V...I might have take a trip down there...

Originally Posted by vteruni
There are a few year to year updates that they have done, you would have to find a website that lists them all, cant really remember all of them.

The most common known difference is that in 97 they updated the body style. I think that was also the year they introduced vvti for the engine. 98+ are all automatic and came with a gated auto shifter as opposed to the strip.

97 5sp is the rarest and most sought after.

When it comes to maintenance, i suggest staying away from the dealership. They will charge you up the you-know-what and will only mess things up. At least that was my experience.

Im not familiar with the prices in VA but in FL 4k will get you a really clean 95 or a 97+ in a more rough shape.

Best of luck on the search. Hit up Craigslist a lot. When i was looking for my car i searched autotrader, cars.com and craigslist and ended up buying it from Craigslist from an older man.
Old 11-02-13, 04:55 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RaginLEXXX
Yay, a response...so I would have to expand my budget then...is there a significant difference between the older cars and the 96-97? I own a Legend coupe so yeah know about expensive maintenance. Yeah they seem bad on gas so mine will be a weekend warrior. Thanks Asterisk, the search if officially on
Well the 98 SC's are the best ones, but they didn't come manual. It got the nice 97 kit and VVt-i engines, but only SC400s got 5 speed auto. It's really up to you for what you want because you could manual any SC.
Old 11-02-13, 05:09 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 379 Likes on 257 Posts

You should peruse the CL Members Classified on here to see what is available, get a feel for what members have done to their vehicles, and a sense of the price ranges.

While a 5 spd is highly desirable there just were not that many made but there have been a lot upgrades to a 5 spd (some have even done 6 spd). But, the prices are a lot higher albeit still a bargain for a car such as these.

Interiors are typically in poor shape unless they happen to be maintained pristine or previous owners did major replacements/upgrades. Most I have seen the front seats are really torn up (compared to my original '92) or have been replaced.

Some have gotten really lucky in finding a garaged 5spd with low mileage but that is getting rare nowadays.
Old 11-02-13, 05:29 PM
95SC3T
Pole Position

a few differences you might wanna know:

year break down

92-94 red and yellow tails, single filament style running light( fog light if converted )
95-96 more updated tailights , bumper mounting for the fogs is different than the running lights on the 92-94, h3 fog lights not running lights
97+ new body style for the bumper side skirts and rear bumper, new fog light shape, new taillight setup

and read everything you need to know here and more:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tart-here.html
Old 11-02-13, 06:03 PM
RaginLEXXX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASTERiSK
Well the 98 SC's are the best ones, but they didn't come manual. It got the nice 97 kit and VVt-i engines, but only SC400s got 5 speed auto. It's really up to you for what you want because you could manual any SC.
Yeah, it's looking pretty grim on finding a decent 5 speed...auto to manual might be a viable option. Besides V8, are there a decent amount of aftermarket support? Noticed gas mileage is close between the sc3 and sc4

Originally Posted by 95SC3T
a few differences you might wanna know:

year break down

92-94 red and yellow tails, single filament style running light( fog light if converted )
95-96 more updated tailights , bumper mounting for the fogs is different than the running lights on the 92-94, h3 fog lights not running lights
97+ new body style for the bumper side skirts and rear bumper, new fog light shape, new taillight setup

and read everything you need to know here and more:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tart-here.html
Thanks for link, I'll read this..
Old 11-02-13, 06:04 PM
RaginLEXXX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Duck05
You should peruse the CL Members Classified on here to see what is available, get a feel for what members have done to their vehicles, and a sense of the price ranges.

While a 5 spd is highly desirable there just were not that many made but there have been a lot upgrades to a 5 spd (some have even done 6 spd). But, the prices are a lot higher albeit still a bargain for a car such as these.

Interiors are typically in poor shape unless they happen to be maintained pristine or previous owners did major replacements/upgrades. Most I have seen the front seats are really torn up (compared to my original '92) or have been replaced.

Some have gotten really lucky in finding a garaged 5spd with low mileage but that is getting rare nowadays.
Yeah it's looking like luck will have to be in my favor to find one like that, but I'll be patient though...
Old 11-02-13, 06:12 PM
RaginLEXXX
Driver School Candidate

There is a 5 speed I'm interested that's for sale on CL "RavSpec" is selling...thoughts?
Old 11-02-13, 07:11 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 379 Likes on 257 Posts

On the surface, nice looking car. Appears it has been up for sale over a year - never a good sign.

Read the whole thread, though.

Interior (as usual) is not that great; window sills are cracked through (typical) so if that stuff does not bother you than focus on the mechanical aspects.

At $7500, way over your $3000-4000 "budget" but here is where it gets tricky.... Any SC you buy will likely take several thousand dollars to repair/enhance it to any level one would feel good about.

Your comment on being patient is a good idea....
Old 11-02-13, 07:52 PM
RaginLEXXX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Duck05
On the surface, nice looking car. Appears it has been up for sale over a year - never a good sign.

Read the whole thread, though.

Interior (as usual) is not that great; window sills are cracked through (typical) so if that stuff does not bother you than focus on the mechanical aspects.

At $7500, way over your $3000-4000 "budget" but here is where it gets tricky.... Any SC you buy will likely take several thousand dollars to repair/enhance it to any level one would feel good about.

Your comment on being patient is a good idea....
You're right on the budget buster, and I'm sure that my patience will hopefully pay off and I'll find one in my price range and put the other 3K to enhance/repair it to my liking
Old 11-02-13, 08:22 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would ALMOST say spend $1-2k and find a rough shape but running SC. Then spend the rest of your budget on maintenance/repairs, that way you'll know exactly whats been done and it can be done to your liking.

The thing with SC's is that people in the scene will know what they're capeable of, and charge an arm and a a leg for them. But there's also the old lady across town whose got no idea what she has and will let it for almost for free because its 'just an old car'.

Good luck on your search. You've done the right thing by doing some research before making a purcahse. Most people buy a piece of scrap metal then come to the forum looking for help.
Old 11-03-13, 09:57 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 124 Posts

+1 on the old person seller, easy to negotiate the price too. I dropped the price by $1500 when i bought mine.