my new 93 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-13, 10:57 PM
PACREEKER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new 93 SC400

hey everyone new guy here....

I just picked up an SC400 totally a random/emergency purchase I might add. I didn't know anything about them until yesterday-Needless to say i love it! There are a few issues with the interior but overall the engine is in pretty good condition.
The antenna is stuck in the up position, the climate control module is faded and barely visible, the door panels are a bit broken up including the passenger door handle and the speakers are shot.

Like i said earlier the speakers are mostly shot. The tweeters are the only speakers that work. Can I get original nokamichi speakers anywhere, or should i just plan to get a new sound system?

Is there a website i can get all of these parts in on place? (especially the the climate control module)

Who else has a high mileage SC and how many miles do you have on her?

Thanks for your time,
Greg
Old 03-25-13, 01:16 AM
zzobeyyzz
Driver

Welcome ! I have 160,000 miles on mine and doing the works tommrow

Check ebay and hit up junkyards

Ask around

I'm doing replacements Oem parts from ebay !
Old 03-25-13, 06:19 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Check out the audio system for upgrades in the audio department. Check www.leatherseats.com for the seats. Check the classifieds for door panels or Ebay. Lextech can repair your screen for the climate control for 40 bucks. Buy the screen off of Ebay and send the unit to them. Turn around is pretty quick. Ask for Brian or OLT. My odometer is showing 122k onmy 92 SC400. See signature for mods. Welcome to CL!!! Let the modding begin. See sticky thread at top of section for all your known SC problems.
Old 03-25-13, 08:48 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a 92 about two months ago, I have a lot of the same problems as you, door, antenna, lcd, speakers etc... Good luck with it man. I would definitely search this forum a lot before doing anything, you can pretty much find any info you need here with ease.

As far as the audio is concerned I would replace everything in the car. Fix the other stuff first of course, get a nice tune up etc... then replace all the speakers, the deck, and amp. Mine's slowly coming together, money's been tight since I bought it but work's picking up fast now and I plan to do everything possible to make this car purr.
Old 03-26-13, 11:26 AM
marvabetic
Rookie

Grats on the purchase! Use the search engine on CL as you find just about anything you need tips on repairing. When I first joined I spent a month going over what I needed to repair, how to repair it, and what it costed. Then I went down the list and decided what was more important t do first. Just be careful on spending money on interior parts before fixing any needed engine maintenance and repairs. As far as Lcd repairs go, you can also go on ebay and places will do the complete replacement for you. Prices will vary. For speakers, as long as you can find a decent pair that fits I would just get aftermarket ones. You could also go to a junk yard and look for all the parts you may need as its the cheapest. I'd also check your rear sub woofer and rear speakers as they are usually cracked from sun damage if you haven't already. For any new parts you would like to buy. Go to Sewell Lexus parts online and use your CL member ID to get a discount. There prices are the lowest I've seen for a reputable seller. Good luck with your build!
Old 03-31-13, 12:53 PM
sidewayz93
Driver School Candidate

New climate control units are pretty cheap
Old 03-31-13, 04:15 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My antenna used to not go all the way down, so I hammered it and disabled the motor lol. Not into the garbage that's on the radio nowadays anyway.
Old 04-01-13, 05:28 AM
PACREEKER
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input fellas...so far I fixed the door panel with a couple screws and a bracket. I tore into the antenna to realize that the coiled plastic piece was broken. As for the audio system my sub is the only thing that works in the back.
The car has a new starter and water pump and 226,000 miles on it. I'm noticing that I might be in the initial stages of a wheel bearing issue. But other then that she is a beauty to drive.
Has anyone installed a performance chip to get better gas mileage? Are there any drawbacks to installing one of these?

Thanks for the input guys it really helps....
Old 04-01-13, 05:42 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey welcome to family. As far as mileage, I'm at 275k-still running strong, these are great cars and will last a long time as long as you maintain it. You could always check the classifieds for speakers, or pm aliga or RGW LLC. They're pretty resourceful with finding parts, etc. Also should check out some of the stickies-a lot of great information there!

steve
Old 04-01-13, 09:46 AM
mikevandam
Driver

you can get ost of your parts here on the forums, a lot of people will help ya out!
Old 04-01-13, 07:10 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the SC and welcome to Club Lexus
Old 04-01-13, 09:57 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by PACREEKER
I tore into the antenna to realize that the coiled plastic piece was broken.
The whips with a new plastic string are not that expensive. I replaced one on my old '83 Cressida and when the '92 SC one broke they were almost identicial in design and the second time around it was much easier. If the motor unit is still good, replacing the whip is worth it.... Good luck.
Old 04-01-13, 10:03 PM
Powerline
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club! My SC400 is pushing 223000.. She still runs strong.
Old 04-02-13, 09:07 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
The whips with a new plastic string are not that expensive. I replaced one on my old '83 Cressida and when the '92 SC one broke they were almost identicial in design and the second time around it was much easier. If the motor unit is still good, replacing the whip is worth it.... Good luck.
Definitely replace the plastic string. I've replaced mine a few times since purchasing a 92 SC400 in 1991. The motor has never failed.