SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

question about the CD changer mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 12:17 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about the CD changer mount

When I bought my SC3 the 12 disc changer was loose in the trunk, not installed, and the amp bracket was bent from somebody throwing the spare on top of it (I think).
Back then I tried to straighten it, but broke some spot welds before getting it back into reasonable shape. Because of that I never tried to install the CD changer.
Today I installed a new/used amp bracket, and thought putting the disc changer in was going to be a piece of cake. No such luck!
There's a bracket on the CD unit, secured with four chrome screws, two in the front and two in the back. There are also holes under the changer, which makes it look like it could be secured with four screws on each end instead of two, but I don't know if it matters.
The bracket has a tang about 4" long with a threaded stud in it, and I see where it fits through a hole to mount the front of the unit to the body, above the amp and sort of below the gas filler neck. a ways. There's a longer one on the back, more vertical, with a hole in the end, and I see where that bolts on the body behind the corner marker part of the tail light assembly. On the bottom of the bracket are two tangs with holes about 5/16". I thought they would line up with two threaded mounting points on the top of the amp bracket, but they don't quite line up, and they are also at the wrong angle to cleanly bolt together with the other bracket. I could probably force them, but doubt that's what I should do.
Am I supposed to have some other parts that go between the changer bracket and the amp bracket? Maybe some sort of rubber, shock absorbing isolators, or something like that? I've been searching all over the web for pictures of the stock installation, with no luck.
Can anybody open their trunk, peek at theirs, and give me a little help?

Last edited by hoosier58; 07-05-12 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-05-12, 05:50 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This link may be of help? http://www.carstereoremoval.com/htm/...40092_00CD.htm
Old 07-05-12, 09:06 PM
RgSc
Driver School Candidate

loose it... the cd changer.. if possibly the amp.. its old and going to continue to fail.. invest an aftermarket radio and speakers... the upside of all this... you reduce weight, plus with new audio equipment, better sound quality, reliability, ect....there's too much to gain when switching to new equipment
Old 07-06-12, 05:45 AM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Thanks Teal. That's the kind of picture I was looking for, but couldn't find. I was even on carstereoremoval.com's SC main page, but the link to that page wouldn't open for me.

That makes it look like I just need to bend the lower mounting tangs on my CD changer bracket so they line up with the mounting tabs on top of the amp bracket. I didn't think that could be right, but maybe the changer was mounted when the lower bracket got smashed. I just assumed that it wasn't, and that the upper bracket was the correct shape.

Good idea, Rg, but not in my budget right now. Stereo upgrade is on the wish list, but down from a window regulator and door actuator. My work van is in a transmission shop right now, and not only can't I work without it, I'm going to have to pay them. I'm doing things now that take time, but no money.
Old 07-06-12, 09:14 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SC's came with 12 and 6 CD changers, you could possibly have the bracket for a 6, which there a good chance has a slightly different bracket.