SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Line Lock's & brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-11, 02:11 PM
Adaa60
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Line Lock's & brakes

So I'm thinking i want to install a line lock, Have any of you done this? and is it hard? looking for any input at all

Also going to start to learn drifting so any tips would be nice

also going with my break questions. how does my ebreak actually work? if i were to disable and seal the rear lines from my abs station, will my ebrake still work? and could i still drive around town safely while running only front brakes? i know some of these may be stupid questions, but i have never owned a car with 4 wheel disc let alone abs so i dont know and would rather have an idea before i do something retarded and get myself or someone else hurt.
Old 04-03-11, 02:27 PM
blacksc4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure whts goin on here haha not my scene of the car parts
BUT i will say from experience running jus front brakes is ok as long as theres no precipitation on the ground cuz keep in mind you running a rear wheel drive car and 80% of ur braking comes from the rear so u will have less stop time and can be relatively dangerous.
living in ohio i had no rear brakes due to a master cylinder fail for 3 months and there was snow... bad mix alot less stop time so i had start braking much before needed
kinda depends on location on your driving style
Old 04-03-11, 02:43 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Parking brakes are cable actuated so they will still function even with the line lock on. The line lock won't permanently disable the rear brakes, in fact, its not even for the rear brakes. Here is the product description from Hurst's site:"What exactly does a Line-Lock, Brake-Control Kit do? Here is how it works: Press the brake pedal an hold the roll control Snap-action switch down. Remove your foot from the pedal, and the solenoid maintains line pressure to the front brakes until switch is released. This makes it easy to heat the rear tires in the burnout box, while minimizing wear and tear on your cars rear brake components. You can also use the system to prevent a manual-trans car from rolling out of the staging beams at the starting line. Weather you call it a roll control, line lock or roll stop. A Brake-Control Kit, will keep your vehicle out of the staging lights before your ready to launch."
Old 04-03-11, 02:51 PM
Subjug4tor
Driver

I think he means a hydraulic e-brake, not a line-lock
Old 04-03-11, 03:15 PM
Adaa60
Rookie

basically I want to be able to turn off my back breaks with a on off switch but have my ebreak work at all times.

How can i do this?

this way when drifting i can drive around the track with the auto trans and slow down the car without slowing the rear tires

also when I'm at bandimer speedway i will be able to burnout in the box before a 1/4 drag
Old 04-03-11, 03:27 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your e-brake is independent of your actual rear brakes. Anything you do to the hydraulic part of the system will not affect your e-brake.

It is not okay to run with only front brakes, it completely throws off the brake bias. Not safe whatsoever, you will put your life and others at risk. Any vehicle will still need rear brakes to keep the rear of the car tracking straight when coming to a stop.
Old 04-03-11, 04:19 PM
WingsofWar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Adaa60
basically I want to be able to turn off my back breaks with a on off switch but have my ebreak work at all times.

How can i do this?

this way when drifting i can drive around the track with the auto trans and slow down the car without slowing the rear tires

also when I'm at bandimer speedway i will be able to burnout in the box before a 1/4 drag
This is a horrible way to go about learning to corner. Think about what your doing. Picture this, you disable the brakes in the back before the turn. Your going 50mph, You try to slow down the car via brake pedal overloading the front brakes bias. Your rear tires are spinning faster because you disabled the brakes which will virtually have no grip. You know what happens? the worst kind of understeer. Your Front brake locks, you have no tractions to turn left or right. You slam into a wall.

The purpose of having a line lock is for two main purposes; burn outs for getting be best traction off your tires before a run, and keeping your car on the starting line so you can build power.

If your learning to drift, try this in an appropriate place where nobody will get hurt. Since you have an auto transmission, O/D off. Before you enter a corner use your brakes to shift the weight of the car to the front, drop down to 2nd gear, get off the brakes, turn the wheel, and power over. If you have an open diff. grip might not be that great but work at it with practice. Try some left foot braking techniques if you find yourself slow at the transitions.
Old 04-03-11, 10:55 PM
Copilot
Driver

Auto drifting doesn't require modifying your brakes lol. The only purpose of a line lock is for doing burnouts. If you only want an ebrake and don't want normal hydraulic rear brakes, then just pull the line off and cap it off or something, but disabling your rear brakes is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard of.

To drift in an auto you need power and weight shifting since you don't have a clutch. You should also have a welded diff or lsd. I really doubt you will have enough power in a stock sc400.