SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lateral Wheel movement? Not normal. Help me...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 10:50 PM
aporozco
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lateral Wheel movement? Not normal. Help me...

So I have an issue with the front driver wheel... When I reverse, the wheel moves laterally if I apply the brakes. it moves a little bit forward. It's the entire wheel and caliper and hub I assume. I havent had time to put it on a lift and move it myself. Any quick Ideas? Is it the Control arms or some bushings?

I'll put a video on here tomorrow.
Old 11-29-10, 10:54 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You basically got it covered. Check for ball joints, control arm bushings any wear and tear you happen to see. If you hear grinding noises while driving, most likely a hub bearing.
Old 11-30-10, 06:41 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When bushings go out you have those movements.
Old 11-30-10, 08:42 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MMCtuner
When bushings go out you have those movements.
Yep, that is a classic symptom of totally shot LCA bushings; usually an unmistakable clunk when rolling backward and then applying the brake.
Old 11-30-10, 05:55 PM
aporozco
Driver

okay, thanks for the knowledge guys.

So Just a control arm bushing set? Should probably get two (for each side) while I'm at it huh? I found some from Daizen, are there any other manufacters and/or would OEM replacement suffice?

Thanks again
Old 11-30-10, 06:18 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aporozco
okay, thanks for the knowledge guys.

So Just a control arm bushing set? Should probably get two (for each side) while I'm at it huh? I found some from Daizen, are there any other manufacters and/or would OEM replacement suffice?

Thanks again
You should read up on this a little bit. There are a few ways to approach it. If you replace the entire LCA, you gain the additional benefits of getting a new ball joint and you save all the hassle of pressing and/or torching out the old bushings. Trouble is, those new LCA's run about $260 a piece from Toyota for a compatible MK4 Supra piece; if you buy them from Lexus, expect to pay about $450 each.

Alternatively, you can reuse your LCA's by replacing just the bushings with Daizens or Prothane or whatever. You'll have to deal with a somewhat arduous job of removing the old ones first though. Be sure your ball joints are ok first though, since there are no replacements available for them discretely, and you'd be putting good money after bad to replace bushings when the ***** are shot.

If you are going to DIY and you have limited tools and skills, you may be better off just replacing the LCAs outright.

$.02
Old 11-30-10, 06:20 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Go prothane for $56 like I did same quality less cash.
Old 12-01-10, 11:00 PM
aporozco
Driver

yes I have since done more reseacrh. I will infact do both LCA's. I hope to use some N/A supra's since they're cheaper.

Can I only get them from ebay and the dealer? I looked at rock auto and they didnt have lowers... Or any aftermarket supra manufacters.

Sorry for the ignorance, I learn on the fly and I'm busy so this forum is my primary source of knowledge. I love CL especially the search button
Old 12-02-10, 08:19 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aporozco
yes I have since done more research. I will in fact do both LCA's. I hope to use some N/A supra's since they're cheaper.

Can I only get them from ebay and the dealer? I looked at rock auto and they didn't have lowers... Or any aftermarket supra manufacturers.

Sorry for the ignorance, I learn on the fly and I'm busy so this forum is my primary source of knowledge. I love CL especially the search button
I don't know of any aftermarket LCA's that would be priced less than the OEM parts from Toyota. If it were me, I'd just go with the factory parts. If you look around a bit, there are various sources for discounted OEM Toyota parts. I got mine from magauto, but that was a few years ago and there may be better sources since. One think to consider, if you buy them online and from out of state supplier, you usually don't have to pay taxes, which helps offset the shipping costs. G/L
Old 12-03-10, 12:14 AM
hyl768s
Driver School Candidate

I also need to replace the LCA. Looks like the 96 Supra LCA is the best choice. Someone says Carson Toyota have the best price. I wonder if we have group buy, is it possible for us get better deal???