SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is it Illegal in California to not have a front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 06:52 PM
gsta127
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it Illegal in California to not have a front license plate?

So today I got a $90 parking ticket for not having a front license plate on my 93 sc300. This is Bull***** because there is no place to put one in the front and when i bought the car it didn't have one.

It really pisses me off that those parking ***** are giving out tickets for things like this. This goes to show how broke the city of Oakland is.

Do I have every right to protest this to the city and refuse to pay it? what is the law in california about front license plates?

thanks
Old 12-09-09, 06:55 PM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Daym...they got you in a parking lot parked??. I think you can fight it. The car wasnt in motion. Just say you where parked there picking up the plate from a friend, or you took it off to get it polished or something...hah

Im going to get my car inspected for a fix it ticket ( headlight ). Knowing that they gave you a ticket like that makes me think I should put a front plate on when going to the sheriff station for inspection.
Old 12-09-09, 06:58 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it is illegal..
Old 12-09-09, 07:01 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, you need to have a front plate in Cali. They seem to be writing a lot of tickets for this lately.
Old 12-09-09, 07:02 PM
gsta127
Rookie

Na they got me while i was parked on the street out side my high school. but the thing is i didn't take the plate off, the car never came with one. if i was going to add one i would have to order a new plate and drill holes to put it on, plus it screws up the look of the car as well.
Old 12-09-09, 07:11 PM
Blurr
Driver

Yeah, its illegal. Stupid but illegal. Usually, they pull you over for speeding AND give you a ticket for something like that. I guess you fit the "profile".
Old 12-09-09, 07:14 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow thats a ridiculous fine.
Old 12-09-09, 07:26 PM
wexpac
Rookie

thats sucks that they got you when you werent even driving as they dont even know if it was really a car your even drove your a car you just parked there for a second. Either way I thought it was only a fix it ticket for $15 =/

I try to avoid this by putting it in the windshield but some cops still are dicks about it
Old 12-09-09, 07:27 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you have no case. it's not a moving violation, so they have the right to ticket you while being parked.
at least that's the way it is here in NY.....
Old 12-09-09, 07:45 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got one before, wasn't as expensive though, $30, a tip for you, try parking facing a wall... they're too lazy to check if you have one or not, especially those metered parking spots.

Sometimes they'll even go after you for having it in the dashboard as usually that's a JDM/Tuner thing... so be careful.
Old 12-09-09, 07:58 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is illegal...
Old 12-09-09, 08:04 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

i've gotten a no front plate ticket while parked before. Having no front plate is against the law in CA, so essentially you are breaking the law. Just pay the fine and if you don't want another one put on your front plate. It makes your car look not as cool, but gives cops one less reason to pull you over.
Old 12-09-09, 08:26 PM
gsta127
Rookie

So i understand that its illegal, but i refuse to pay the fine because it should be a fix-it-ticket not a $90 citation. It still seems that it should be lexus' fault for importing a car without a place to put a front license plate.

also my friend got the same ticket for the same reason on his 03 mini cooper S, so were going to fight this together.
Old 12-09-09, 08:28 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Fix the problem have a front license plate
Take pics
Go to court with pics
then they might waive the ticket since you fixed it.

My brother did that with his car. He got a ticket for exhaust then purchased a silence and showed them a receipt for the silencer said he was sorry for disturbing the peace... and they let it go.
Old 12-09-09, 08:43 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsta127
So i understand that its illegal, but i refuse to pay the fine because it should be a fix-it-ticket not a $90 citation. It still seems that it should be lexus' fault for importing a car without a place to put a front license plate.

also my friend got the same ticket for the same reason on his 03 mini cooper S, so were going to fight this together.
You could win, but the state is in a budget crisis. That is why they are issuing fines rather than $10 fix it tickets. You could put the blame on Lexus, but than it could also be your fault for buying a car that had no place to put a front plate. If you go to Lexus they will happily drill holes and mount the front plate for you.

But if you are going to fight it, just mount the front plate and depending on your judge they might just waive it for you. It doesn't hurt to try.

Also don't mount it with just zip ties or something. It has to be securely mounted. The better it looks, the better chance you have of winning over whoever is looking at your case.

Quick Reply: Is it Illegal in California to not have a front license plate?