SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is it Illegal in California to not have a front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 09:07 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by gsta127
So i understand that its illegal, but i refuse to pay the fine because it should be a fix-it-ticket not a $90 citation. It still seems that it should be lexus' fault for importing a car without a place to put a front license plate.

also my friend got the same ticket for the same reason on his 03 mini cooper S, so were going to fight this together.
It is the dealerships responsibility to mount the front plate not Lexus. Most dealerships will install the plates right away, but some will ask you before you leave if you want the front plate put on or not. The dealership I bought my SC from made sure I had both plates before I left.
Old 12-09-09, 09:10 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread made me go out and put my front plate on. Did some searching and forums are seeing people getting high priced no front plate tickets in CA. bleh.
Old 12-09-09, 09:13 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Sad to say but you guys are not going to win. I got the same ticket while parked in front of my apartment. It is 10 dollars if you get it signed off and the Police Departments charge $10 to sign it off so it is $20.

Refusing to pay for it will worsen your problem. First the ticket will double and then a hold will be placed on the title at the DMV. Should you accumulate more, you're car will be impounded.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ct-bumper.html

Ask the agency that issued it is correctable. If it is, mount the plate then take it off after it gets signed off.
Old 12-09-09, 09:24 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

^ I actually bought that at Autozone a few hours ago. Good find xKnowonex.
Old 12-09-09, 09:38 PM
gsta127
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but for the case of my friend with the mini, his family bout it new in 03 without the front plate so its definitely not his fault.
Old 12-09-09, 09:45 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gsta127
but for the case of my friend with the mini, his family bout it new in 03 without the front plate so its definitely not his fault.
The law doesn't care whether whether your car came with the front plate. So that is irrelevant since it is your responsibility to conform your car to the state's vehicle code.

Nobody likes the front plate law (I refuse to keep one on myself) but getting a fix-it ticket it is just something you have to live with should you don't abide by it. So don't waste your time fighting it and don't be dumb and ignore the ticket.

Last edited by xknowonex; 12-09-09 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-09-09, 10:23 PM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

its just a fix it ticket get it done and pay the fee of 25 bucks now i believe?
Old 12-10-09, 12:59 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow thats crazy. I got a warning my first time, then a 15 dollar fine the second time. Both while parked.
Old 12-10-09, 03:05 AM
Jfg kevin
Driver

I recently got a ticket in Oakland too, but i was going to work...My ticket was 140..=(...They been cracking down on this lately...I hate the front plate, but i hate getting pulled over for it and paying the fine even more, so i decide to put the front plate on...I didn't drill the front bumper for the front plate, i just made a L bracket for it and made it seem like it was place where it should be...
Old 12-10-09, 04:30 AM
mysoarer
Driver School Candidate

yeah dey would get u on anything, i got the plate thing on my sc4 and no sticker on my 240 vert which i dont drive (have current reg's). the vert was parked. for the sc4 a cop bust a u turn just to give me the plate ticket. and i be getting those orange sticker on my windshield for parking over 72 hrs and saying they'll tow my ****
Old 12-22-09, 09:53 PM
hooovver
Driver School Candidate

Default SC300 Front Plate Required?? Request for mounting suggestions

Just got a parking ticket in Mission Bay area, San Francisco, for $103 VC5200 NO PLATES. This is quite odd since I've driven the SC300 around and in and out of California for more than eight years.

Turns out that the front plate has been hiding, stuck fast to the inside of rear plate all these years.

If I am reading this citation correctly, I can correct the 'problem' get a sign off from an officer and pay only a $10 penalty. In lieu of drilling holes in my still-pretty pearl-white front bumper cover, has anybody got any ideas about any quick-and-dirty means of mounting that front plate to appease the coppers? Silly Putty? Coat hangers? A small ironing board bent in half, etc?
Old 12-22-09, 10:49 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

they do the same thing in san Francisco
Old 12-23-09, 01:31 AM
potatoBBQ
Intermediate

In Little Tokyo in LA, I sometimes see a parking enforcement guy driving around at 11pm and shining a flashlight at every front bumper looking for cars w/o front plates. Mind you, by 11pm, the parking meters should be off so he was actually driving around specifically looking for front plates. I've gotten 3 front plate tickets while my car was just parked on the street in LA. I'm lazy so I just pay the fine and I still don't have a front plate, but as much as it sucks, it's the law in CA... pay up or put a front plate on.
Old 12-23-09, 01:39 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by potatoBBQ
In Little Tokyo in LA, I sometimes see a parking enforcement guy driving around at 11pm and shining a flashlight at every front bumper looking for cars w/o front plates. Mind you, by 11pm, the parking meters should be off so he was actually driving around specifically looking for front plates. I've gotten 3 front plate tickets while my car was just parked on the street in LA. I'm lazy so I just pay the fine and I still don't have a front plate, but as much as it sucks, it's the law in CA... pay up or put a front plate on.
Metermaids or the worst scum on this earth. Unlike police officers, they neither serve or protect. I think they rank no higher than a street pimp in society. You would really rather pay $110 than $20? If so, no wonder why you keep getting the tickets. You are a cash cow to them.
Old 12-23-09, 11:54 AM
potatoBBQ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Metermaids or the worst scum on this earth. Unlike police officers, they neither serve or protect. I think they rank no higher than a street pimp in society. You would really rather pay $110 than $20? If so, no wonder why you keep getting the tickets. You are a cash cow to them.
I was hoping they'd take the money and put it towards fixing some potholes, haha. It was a few years ago and spread over maybe 2 years and I think it was also closer to $70 than $110. It was on another car where I would pretty much have had to drill into the front bumper so between $20 and $70 and drilling, I just paid the $70. I think if it had broken the hundred $ mark, I prob would have put a front plate on. I like your front plate solution for your Shine bumper tho. I might just put a front plate on my SC.

Quick Reply: Is it Illegal in California to not have a front license plate?