SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Maaco good for painting SC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-09, 07:23 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ROGSC400 - car looks good.. How long has it been since you got it done?

Enigma8246 - Again, best to prep it yourself... Tape off everything and remove what you can (like headlights etc...). The fade/oxidize was possibly due to not enough clear coat. That should of and can be taken up with them. Don't they give a lifetime warranty or something like that?
Old 08-20-09, 07:37 AM
rogsc400
Driver

Its been about 9 months now............I dont drive my car that much maybe twice a week ...........so I keep it covered when I not driving it........its a 92 and any thing is better than my factory paint job.......that car is almost 20yr old
Old 08-20-09, 07:49 AM
95silversc
Rookie

Im paying about 4,800 on a full paint job. Thats with a new core support install, shaving the antena + fitting a cf hood and cf decklid.
Old 08-20-09, 08:40 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a civic in the shop that has a Maaco job. Its cracking... they just sprayed over the original paint with no primer or anything. probably looked good the first day... now its fading and cracking.
Old 08-20-09, 08:55 AM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maaco is awful, I speak from experience! The owner before me had the car maaco painted right before I bought it... The body is descent, just a little overspray on the windows and in the light jambs. The bumpers are awful! All the pait has begun to spyder web and flake off! I say avoid Maaco at all costs!

Oh yeah and they used a super industrial glue that has noticble drips running from the badges. This wouldnt be so bad if they didnt put "300 sc"
Old 08-20-09, 09:02 AM
RANDY P
Driver

take the painter aside and offer him some personal cash to take extra good care of your car.

rjp
Old 08-20-09, 10:59 AM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
yeah i know but i didnt get much results, i used "maaco" as the keyword....... and the few results that did come out, the pictures arent there anymore
Old 08-20-09, 12:07 PM
Papajorgio
Advanced

what about an alternative to maaco like carsmetics? there not everywhere like maaco but ive heard the work there is alot better for very reasonable prices...
Old 08-20-09, 01:10 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
There's a civic in the shop that has a Maaco job. Its cracking... they just sprayed over the original paint with no primer or anything. probably looked good the first day... now its fading and cracking.
Same thing they did to my friends

Originally Posted by Luv2xl
Enigma8246 - Again, best to prep it yourself... Tape off everything and remove what you can (like headlights etc...). The fade/oxidize was possibly due to not enough clear coat. That should of and can be taken up with them. Don't they give a lifetime warranty or something like that?
Don't know about the warranty but don't worry about me. I won't be letting maaco spray my ride
Old 08-20-09, 01:12 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RANDY P
take the painter aside and offer him some personal cash to take extra good care of your car.

rjp
This sounds like a good idea. I plan to sand my car down myself then take it to a place to get it painted to cut down on the cost.
Old 08-20-09, 02:34 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Luis,

I honestly would save up and get it painted at real local body shop. Moreover, you have an aftermarket bumper so make sure they prep and fit it right as well. If they just spray paint over it and screw it on, it is going to look like crap.

You don't have to spend $5,000 to get a good paintjob. Most of the cost is, like how many of the guys have said on here, all prep work.

Masking stuff up as opposed to removing it can save you money but masking it properly takes alot of time as well. You can either mask stuff or get extreme as removing the car down to its bare shell.
Old 08-20-09, 04:33 PM
booja
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by King7Two
So does my GF's nail polish.

Really?

Correct answer is NO.

Cheap pay = cheap work
it really depends on what hes going for. if he just wants something thats decent again and his car looks like crap i would say go for it. if you want a show quality car i would say no.

it all depends on the person doing the work at the maaco. granted they do use one step paint and gloss... so if it cracks or chips it all comes off... but they do warranty it as well for several years.

my friend took a DA integra to them because he just wanted some more shine to his old dull paint. and he got a kit painted along with it as well. my friend brought the car to them with the headlights and tails off and no exhaust and such... he expressed his concern about the over spray and they took care of him.

at the end he paid a total of 450 to paint the whole car and fix lil dings and dents. it came with a 4 or 5 year warranty as well on oxidizing and chips and cracks.

and it looked f'ing great. i bet i could sit his DA next to another car with a $3000 job and you wouldnt be able to tell. he told them to take their time on it and they did. and it showed.

but in short... it depends where you go and who does it... i have seen crappy ones from maaco.
Old 08-20-09, 05:52 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get what you pay for. They can do a good job, if you pay them.

Their $1200 job is the only one with seperate clearcoat, and that's what makes the paint shine and last..
Old 08-20-09, 05:57 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

they are a half *** shop. imo they should never be considered
Old 08-20-09, 08:58 PM
Jay-Balrog
Driver

depends on what your needs are.

alot of people are under the assumption that EVERYONE needs a show quality paintjob to be happy.

if your paint is good and you just want another color. dont even bother...save up and do it right.

if you have a beater drift/track car with 7 different colored panels that you just want to look 'better' not good not great but better. then by all means do the maaco.

doing your own prepwork and removal of lights and trim increases the chances of getting decent work.

like others have said too....maacos are independantly owned so one maaco might be great, the other. not so much.

Quick Reply: Maaco good for painting SC?