SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Maaco good for painting SC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 06:35 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they ask you do you want clearcoating.... some people just try to save money....its all depends what you want.... a quick fix until you stack your chips.... its a good deal.. if you want to compete in HIN.... forget about it.
Old 05-19-06, 12:21 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

huh, how about earlshieb or 1-day paint and body???.....

nah, dont do it. i think i decent paint job will run you between 1500-2000.

very good paint job will costs $3000++
Old 05-19-06, 12:46 PM
younge55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are all the same. Definitely do not go this route unless you plan on selling it within the next month. I went to one of these about five years ago for my nissan. The first salesman would not even touch my car because he knew it wasn't a good idea. I was reluctant to listen to him or advice from others. My car was black and getting oxidized so I wanted a new paint job. I'm **** like that. All I needed was a good buffing but I wasn't aware of this route back then.

Why is the price so cheap....cheap paint....and good paint in my opinion isn't even that expensive....but the biggest value comes from the lack of prep work. They may scuff it, tape the windows and other areas instead of the proper full removal and then just paint over it. Results....bad unless you have 10 year old beater that is rusted. The lack of prep work will leave the paint to easily peel off which was happening after a couple of months. I ended up going back, getting it repainted and the same results happened. I finally ended up going to good body shop and had to pay more to get my car repainted because of the mess this discount body shop did. It ended up being more expensive because of the extra clean up, paint was everywhere including the extra layers of paint on my car. Yes, they basically just paint over you exisiting paint. Learn from my expensive mistake and do not go this route. Things may have changed but looking at the prices, I highly doubt it. Lucky my first car wasn't a lexus.
Old 05-19-06, 01:40 PM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Hellz No!!!
Old 05-19-06, 03:05 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

What is your reason for painting? Oxidation? If so, try to get it professionally wetsanded and buffed out first. It'll either save you money or help you delay it so u can save up for a good paint job.
Old 05-19-06, 09:02 PM
93 LS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by projekt
I have a red burgandy SC4 1992...you think i should let Maaco repaint my car?

Considering the quality of the factory paint that comes on your, NO, NO,NO it is not good quality paint...
Old 05-20-06, 08:15 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

maaco...ehh Earl and One day paint is better. MAKE sure u pay for the clear coat. and then take the freshly painted car to a place that will wet sand and buff the paint. i took my del sol to Earl. i did all the prep work. all they did was clean it off and respray. it left me with very lil orange peel.
Old 05-21-06, 08:47 AM
MadMaxxNA
Driver

Your results will vary greatly depending on the shop. All of them are franchised, some do business more dirty than others.

First problem is prep work. Many of them cut corners on jobs, it's no secret. But, if you some basic prepwork yourself (removing emblems, trim pieces, etc.) and even some light masking, then all you're paying them for is the shoot. And belive it or not, they can shoot fairly well.

The other thing to watch is the paint selection. Some of the econ paint jobs use pretty much junk paint. They DO carry PPG, and they can/will use it. Usually, if you speak with the owner or manager and just lay out your concerns (and make it very clear that you will come back for even the most minor of problems over and over and over again...) then no worries.

I've had friends work for several of the shops. It really boils down to what shop and what you want. A friend of mine had his car done at a shop. He did some of the trim removal first and spent ~1K IIRC, paint turned out perfect (and still looks great). I don't recomend laying out 300$ for a lexus paint job, but nor do I think a OE style job run you 2500+ either.

On a side note, I guess all lex paint was base/clear vs. a supras single stage?
Old 05-21-06, 09:08 AM
Mwmorph
Driver

I would recommend macco/earl schieb if you are willing ot take if all emblems, tape over all trim, cover everything not getting painted, and then sanding down the car and putting a coat of primer on it by yourself. Basicalyl do al lthe prep they wont do by yourself.

even then, spring for their most expensive package. the $300 package uses a 1 layer spray with single stagepaint that is supposed to seperate into base coart and clear coat. It never happens because the quality of the paint is inferior. Make sure you get the 2nd or 3rd coat of clear coat.
Old 05-21-06, 09:28 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mwmorph
I would recommend macco/earl schieb if you are willing ot take if all emblems, tape over all trim, cover everything not getting painted, and then sanding down the car and putting a coat of primer on it by yourself. Basicalyl do al lthe prep they wont do by yourself.

even then, spring for their most expensive package. the $300 package uses a 1 layer spray with single stagepaint that is supposed to seperate into base coart and clear coat. It never happens because the quality of the paint is inferior. Make sure you get the 2nd or 3rd coat of clear coat.
I agree....
Old 05-21-06, 10:05 AM
blange400
Driver

Lexus qualifies paint shops. Ask your local LEXUS dealer what shops are certified. Failing to be happy with that answer you can call the Mercedes dealer ask them who they use. Infinity ..BMW...etc.. You can call insurance companies claims dept and ask what shops get the least complaints or returns.

If you are paying less than 1500.00 -3000.00 for your paint job..you're likely not getting the prep work, coats of paint, qualiity of paint, or more important the quality of craftsmanship...you get what you pay for.

If you want a car to take to earl maico's one day..get a saturn.
Old 05-21-06, 10:33 PM
Mikethe1st
Rookie

Take blange400's advice!!!!!!!! If you're going to keep the car for awhile you want a quality paint job so do it right the first time. I would only take the car to maaco/earl sheib if my car's paint was peeling like mad and I wanted to sell it asap.
Old 08-19-09, 10:41 PM
wagomaniac
Lexus Test Driver

Default Maaco body work/paint

curios on what people's opinion on Maaco are? if you have had work done by Maaco how satisfied were you? and please post up pics if you have had work/paint job from them
Old 08-19-09, 10:52 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Search button works https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...0-dollars.html
Old 08-19-09, 10:53 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Ohh im very interested in this question too. I am going to repaint my car soon. I have heard maaco isn't very good but iv also been told if you get their signature package (best available) That it is a good paint job.

Last edited by nfordhk; 08-19-09 at 10:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Maaco good for painting SC?