Very weird electric motor noise. :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 10:30 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Couple of Things

Thank you very much Frank,

I appreciate your taking the time to go through the whole process in detail for me.

Here's what's happened and what I've done to remedy the problems:

To re-cap, about a week ago I started hearing this noise (with your permission, I can even email a short 30 sec. clip on media format to you so you'll know exactly what I am referring to) as I was on my way to work. At first I thought it was a belt or bearing related problem since the noise level increased as I gave the car more gas and decreased as I slowed down.

Coincidentally, even though I have not had anyone serviced my car within the past 3 months/2,500 miles, I did made a sudden change of habit (going from NMR mode on my auto tranny to the PWR mode) because I was told that PWR is more gas efficient and causes less stress on the engine since it keeps the RPM higher.

Just two days ago, someone on CL suggested that I go test my PS pump by keeping the car in idle, and then turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and right and repeat this step at least 10 times. I followed the instructions and could not hear any groan or weird sound. After this, I also inspected my PS pump reservoir as instructed. I was told that if I had a bad PS pump I would see bubbles in the filter area. I did not see any bubble at all.

My car's service record indicates that my PS steering pump was changed 40k miles ago so chances are, I think my PS pump is still okay.

Also, my car has always been serviced exclusively at either Toyota or Lexus dealers so more than likely the service tech knew that the PS pump/tranny require the special Dextron/Toyota fluid.

Last night was when I noticed that the noise is actually coming from undeaneath my tranny console. According to my research, SC4s are usually in need for a tranny replacement after 150k miles, no? I've had my tranny seal replaced a while ago but my car has just gone over 170k miles. I wonder if it's time for me to replace the tranny.

I wish I had the tools/equipments to help me find out what the actual problems are. I am a student living in a small studio and unfortunately, I have access to almost nothing. I've called my mechanic and made an appointment with him this Friday. Hopefully, he'll have some answer for me by the end of this week.

I will, however, check my tranny/PS pump and see if they're normal.

Thanks again for your advices and I'll let you know how things turn out.

Regards,

Jon

Originally posted by Frankinaustin
Jon -
If it is your PS pump, you can do a form of diagnosis this way: take a long screwdriver and place the tip on the pump body while the motor is running. Put the other end (the end you hold with your hand) to your ear. You'll be able to hear what's going on inside your pump and differentiate from the other motor noise.

Also, check your PS fluid level AND color. The PS fluid is good ole Dextron III and if it's in good shape it should be red/translucent - sorta like the juice from a jar of mericino cherries. If it looks dark, replace it with plain ole cheap-o Dextron III. The way I change it is this way: I got a turkey baster from the grocery store - it's a big plastic eye-dropper. I suck out the old until the resivour is empty and refile with the new stuff.

As a note of reference - I tried to replace the PS fluid with some fancy Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid and the dadgum PS Pump made so much noise I thought that it was going to break. It's as if the Amsoil was too thick/viscous.

HOWEVER...

You mentioned that the sound is coming from your tranny area. I would suggest the following:
1.) Jack up your car and put it on jack stands for safety. crawl underneath your car to the tranny area and look for where the driveshaft meets the transmission. There should be a fairly large universal joint there. Inspect the area very closly with a strong flashlight just to make sure what you are hear is not somply some debris that got lodged there - like a plastic grocery sack or a small animal. Sounds silly, but you never know. Perhaps some crap just got wrapped around the end of your tranny.

2.) the other thing I'd suggest is to really look closely at the color of your transmission fluid. It should be red. However if it's dirty or worn out it will be dark - maybe brown or even purple. (i'm color blind).

- Has someone serviced your transmission and put fluid other than what is specified for your tranny? I can't remember if you drive and SC400 or not, but the v-8 engine has to use special tranny fluid called Toyota Type IV.

If your fluid looks crappy or if you suspect that the wrong fluid is in your tranny, change it. Change it this way. With your car up on jacks, drain the 2 quarts from the pan via the drain plug - just like changing your regular motor oil. Replace the plug. Add the exact amount back into the tranny that came out of the pan - usually 2 quarts. You refil the tranny fluid thru the pipe that the dip stick goes down into. You'll need a special funnel that you can get from a regualr car parts store. After you've refilled the tranny, start your engine and let it run about 2 min. Then drain your tranny pan again. Do this process 3 or 4 times. You'll end up changing about 50 - 75% of your fluid. you'll need to have bought about 12 qts of tranny fluid.

If this doesn't solve your noise, then consider this: Drain your tranny pan once again and take your tranny pan off. There are about 20 ten milimeter bolts that hold the pan to the tranny. You'll need a rubber mallet to bang the pan loose, since it's glued onto the tranny with silicon.

Once you have the pan off, there is a screen/filter that you can take loose just to see if it's clogged. Don't replace it with a new one, just spray any crap out of it with carb spray. Also, with the pan off, look into it and see if there's much crap in the bottom. If everything is ok, then there should only be minimal amount of black metalic dust. If there is a lot, then perhaps your tranny is soon to be seeing the Lord. What's a lot of dust? If there is more dust than a handful of beach sand, then you might worry. If less dust than a few ground up asprint, then you are ok. Clean the pan out real good with carb spray and paper towels before you put it back in. you'll need a tube of silicone to glue the pan back to the tranny.

This should take you a full saturday. Start today by looking at the color of your tranny fluid.

PS - I got your email. I totally understand and good luck to you. Frank
Old 09-30-03, 11:00 AM
Frankinaustin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default email

Yes, please email me that sound file. Frank
Old 09-30-03, 11:06 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Default Re: email

File sent.

Thanks again for your help Frank.

Jon

Originally posted by Frankinaustin
Yes, please email me that sound file. Frank
Old 12-17-03, 08:32 AM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

I'm having similar symptoms plus I can actually hear my tranny shift. And if I'm stopped on a steep hill, and take my foot off the brake to accelerate, the car will roll back and not go occasionally. When I had the car inspected after i bought it a few months ago, they reccomended that I changed the fluid soon. I'm going to do this within the next week or so, along with a new tranny mount (also needed) Will all of this help my problems out? Should I be worried about it going out?
Thanks,
Zac
Old 12-17-03, 03:02 PM
DaizenLex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same howling noise, and it was very very loud, sounded like a spaceship, all i did was a tune-up and it was gone you still hear it liltle bit though i think its perfectly normal, i also have a system so that can also be my problem
Old 12-17-03, 08:14 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

DaizenLex: Could this be your alternator whining? My other car has a system installed and it too, makes that whiny noise. But the noise on my other car certainly does not come from underneath my center console, which is right where the tranny is located.

Since I have a tranny replacement, the noise had disappeared a long time ago.

Jon
Old 12-18-03, 07:52 AM
ginessgold

if the noise is going with ur engine revolutions it might be an electrical problem...
does the noise come when ur in neutral and just rev the engine?
it might be a faulty ground wire which might throw the audio system off, the sound maybe coming from the speakers..

try to see if you hear the sound with a tape playing or radio on... (dont just turn the volume up real high)

check all your audio components for proper grounding.. cd changer, head unit, amps.
A friend of mine had a similar problem in his BMW, it sorta sounded likea fake turbo
Old 12-20-03, 08:50 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Since I have a tranny replacement, the noise had disappeared a long time ago.

Originally posted by O. L. T.
only when you are moving?

Ok, if at idle also, and you know it isnt your belts, it may be the section conecting to the torque convertor.

Old 12-27-03, 03:33 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Transmissiion mount?

I had mine replaced at about 115K - as the rubber part of the mount fatigues, the mount collapses until the top and bottom portions begin to touch each other, and more drivetrain vibration will be transmitted to the body, directly under the console. Also, the misalignment will cause the driveshaft mount to wear out too - just thinkin' out loud here - if you have jackstands and a floor jack to support the tranny, it's a very easy part to replace -