Pre Purchase Inspection question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-16, 03:51 AM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre Purchase Inspection question

Hi All,

I have been searching for my first Lexus SC for quite some time now.

I am looking at a 94 SC300 with 100k miles within the next couple days.

I will be bringing the car to the mechanics to have a ppi done.

I have searched and understand the common issues with these cars (i.e., water pump, alternator, display LEDs, valve gaskets......) but I wanted to ask you guys if you suggest getting a compression test and a leak down test down as part of the PPI? I know that these engines are extremely reliable but not sure if its worth doing.

Also, it seems like every SC that I found around here has an engine light indicating an O2 sensor that needs to be replaced. i know these are older cars but not sure why this is very consistent with 90% of the cars that I have inquired about have this issue. I just wanted to make sure this is not the beginning of some major issue.

The mechanic will be pulling the code and let me know what the problem is.

Another question, is there a way for the mechanic to know whether the mileage was rolled back in these cars, it seems very low for the age of the vehicle?

None the less, I am very excited and feels like a kid before Christmas.

Tell you the truth, I have not test driven any SC yet as they are pretty rare around my area.

I know my next question has been covered a lot but if there is 1 or 2 tips that you can give me when test driving the car, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all. Hope I will be able to contribute to this forum very soon.
Old 02-18-16, 08:31 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

A compression test should not be necessary with that amount of miles. Not sure about how early models are with O2 sensors but mine has never sprung the code. They aren't ridiculously expensive either.

Easiest way to tell if the mileage is rolled back is the general condition of the car and if it looks typical of another similar mileage SC. Also checking for stuff like oil leaks, cracked rubber boots in the suspension, worn shocks/struts could help ID if it was rolled back. It's highly unlikely but if it's a serious concern, make sure you know.

Driving test is the regular run of the mill driving test, turn the radio down and listen for any strange noises from the engine or transmission, see how the transmission shifts between gears and have the door open listening for strange noises as you shift, how well it idles or how well it does higher up on the rpm's, etc. Getting that PPI will paint a clear picture of the car you're trying to get.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-16, 04:42 AM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally Posted by tfwnoturbo
A compression test should not be necessary with that amount of miles. Not sure about how early models are with O2 sensors but mine has never sprung the code. They aren't ridiculously expensive either.

Easiest way to tell if the mileage is rolled back is the general condition of the car and if it looks typical of another similar mileage SC. Also checking for stuff like oil leaks, cracked rubber boots in the suspension, worn shocks/struts could help ID if it was rolled back. It's highly unlikely but if it's a serious concern, make sure you know.

Driving test is the regular run of the mill driving test, turn the radio down and listen for any strange noises from the engine or transmission, see how the transmission shifts between gears and have the door open listening for strange noises as you shift, how well it idles or how well it does higher up on the rpm's, etc. Getting that PPI will paint a clear picture of the car you're trying to get.

Good luck!
Old 02-20-16, 04:59 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

100k is low it should be in good shape listen for any engine noises, leaks, and especially smoke on cold start up.. also check all your electronics and coolant condition.!!! good to go Ive got SCs that dont run at all and can get them to run like a champ so its not a very risky car to buy unless its apparently crap
Old 02-21-16, 02:37 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't typically need a compression test, but if you're already paying a mechanic a fee to inspect it, and the car is expensive, it's not a bad idea. If he's a good mechanic he can probably hear if the car is misfiring, or any common noise issues right away, but he won't know what needs to be done to fix it until he can really get a good look at it.

Also a "bad 02 sensor" is the single most common issue I see people list with their cars for sale, but most times I find people say "bad 02 sensor" to trick people into thinking it's a cheap fix, when in reality the check engine light is on for a different problem. Obviously your mechanic will confirm this in an instant with an OBD scanner.

If you are worried about the mileage being rolled back get a carfax or punch the vin into lexus.com and see what comes back. I could see someone replacing a faded cluster with a new one, messing up the cars mileage, so get a car report if you're worried about it.

It would also help us if you just listed the link to the car you intended on looking at. You're in NJ, so I would look for rust issues, I have a 96 that has a lot of rust issues. A heater shield rotted out, a few exhaust mounts rotted out, lower subframe is rotting away... Not the end of the world, but if I factor in what I paid for repairs, and added that to my original purchase price I would have a perfect car... Instead I still have a fixer upper.
Old 02-22-16, 06:56 PM
SCYAL8R
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jumpman86
Hi All,

I have been searching for my first Lexus SC for quite some time now.

I am looking at a 94 SC300 with 100k miles within the next couple days.

I will be bringing the car to the mechanics to have a ppi done.

I have searched and understand the common issues with these cars (i.e., water pump, alternator, display LEDs, valve gaskets......) but I wanted to ask you guys if you suggest getting a compression test and a leak down test down as part of the PPI? I know that these engines are extremely reliable but not sure if its worth doing.

Also, it seems like every SC that I found around here has an engine light indicating an O2 sensor that needs to be replaced. i know these are older cars but not sure why this is very consistent with 90% of the cars that I have inquired about have this issue. I just wanted to make sure this is not the beginning of some major issue.

The mechanic will be pulling the code and let me know what the problem is.

Another question, is there a way for the mechanic to know whether the mileage was rolled back in these cars, it seems very low for the age of the vehicle?

None the less, I am very excited and feels like a kid before Christmas.

Tell you the truth, I have not test driven any SC yet as they are pretty rare around my area.

I know my next question has been covered a lot but if there is 1 or 2 tips that you can give me when test driving the car, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all. Hope I will be able to contribute to this forum very soon.
I'm close to Jersey and have owned a couple. I'd be glad to take a look at it if you wanted another set of eyes. Pm me if you want.