SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Buying 1992 SC400 with 115K mile

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-15, 10:49 AM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying 1992 SC400 with 115K mile

I am buying a 1992 SC400 with 115K miles on it for $1K.. anytihing i should look for? your input is very much appreciated and thank you in advance
Old 10-05-15, 11:00 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly at 1k there is not much you can really expect from the car or complain to the seller about.

If you feel the car is in good shape then go for it.
Old 10-05-15, 11:03 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinoiryder
I am buying a 1992 SC400 with 115K miles on it for $1K.. anytihing i should look for? your input is very much appreciated and thank you in advance

Dude,

Are you purchasing it already smogged? If so, and it passes, then drive it. A worn suspension is the number one item to check out after any engine/transmission problems. If something feels odd, check it out.

Old 10-05-15, 11:20 AM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Timing belt. Do the timing belt. I mean, if it was done around 60-80k, that could still be 10 years ago if it's been sitting that much. Unless it's been done in the last 5 years, I would plan on doing that soon. While it shouldn't be an interference problem (broken/bent valves, although still a bit of a debate), it'll still leave you stranded if it goes. It generally doesn't warn you that it's going to go, it just stops all at once.

But, like others have said, at $1k, drive it like you stole it. 'Cause if it's in decent shape, it's not a whole lot different.
Old 10-05-15, 02:51 PM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FSUsucks1
Honestly at 1k there is not much you can really expect from the car or complain to the seller about.

If you feel the car is in good shape then go for it.
theres no issue with the car.. just trying to find out what fixes i will be needing in the future..

Originally Posted by freakness
Dude,

Are you purchasing it already smogged? If so, and it passes, then drive it. A worn suspension is the number one item to check out after any engine/transmission problems. If something feels odd, check it out.

it pass the smog with no issue.. engine and transmissions does not have any problem.. owner does regular oil change.. planning to drop it a little.. any suggestion what to change in the suspension? i am changing the shocks to coilovers..

Originally Posted by matguy
Timing belt. Do the timing belt. I mean, if it was done around 60-80k, that could still be 10 years ago if it's been sitting that much. Unless it's been done in the last 5 years, I would plan on doing that soon. While it shouldn't be an interference problem (broken/bent valves, although still a bit of a debate), it'll still leave you stranded if it goes. It generally doesn't warn you that it's going to go, it just stops all at once.

But, like others have said, at $1k, drive it like you stole it. 'Cause if it's in decent shape, it's not a whole lot different.
Timing belt was done last year.. car has been running all this tme.. owner just put 5k per year on the mileage.. no accident.. interior need some TLC..
Old 10-05-15, 03:05 PM
matguy
Driver

Ya know, now that I think of it, you shouldn't buy it. You should, though, tell me where it is...

Really, at that price, even if the starter needs to be replaced tomorrow, it sounds like a great deal.
Old 10-05-15, 05:47 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While it shouldn't be an interference problem (broken/bent valves, although still a bit of a debate), it'll still leave you stranded if it goes.
Not a debate, 92-95 is non-interference.
Old 10-05-15, 07:35 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you've gotten a steal. If the owner has keep up with the maintenance there's less worry for you? You might be free from a basic tune up if not needed? plugs, wires, new dizzy/coil. Any noticeable leaks? If so invest in some new gaskets/seals. It's time consuming but well worth it. Interior, you can check in the classifieds for needed parts. Aliga and RGW LLC may be able to help you out with parts. Also if you plan on lowering the car, definitely re-route the wiring harness inside the wheel well. This will save you from chewing up your harness in the long run.

Post up some pics when you get a chance. Thanks.

steve
Old 10-05-15, 08:09 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Ya know, now that I think of it, you shouldn't buy it. You should, though, tell me where it is...

Really, at that price, even if the starter needs to be replaced tomorrow, it sounds like a great deal.
Get it before somebody else does. Seriously, at that price and with that kind of mileage, SC's sell like hotcakes. I do have one recommendation, though. Since the mileage is stored inside the cluster itself, it is very easy to swap clusters. I'd grab the VIN, and run a search on Lexus owners website. See the dealer service history and see if the mileage lines up.
Old 10-06-15, 10:39 PM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

I got the Car today.. i got the price lowered to $800..

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Sounds like you've gotten a steal. If the owner has keep up with the maintenance there's less worry for you? You might be free from a basic tune up if not needed? plugs, wires, new dizzy/coil. Any noticeable leaks? If so invest in some new gaskets/seals. It's time consuming but well worth it. Interior, you can check in the classifieds for needed parts. Aliga and RGW LLC may be able to help you out with parts. Also if you plan on lowering the car, definitely re-route the wiring harness inside the wheel well. This will save you from chewing up your harness in the long run.

Post up some pics when you get a chance. Thanks.

steve
the previous owner was a Lexus Tech/Mechanic - so maintenance is up to date.. I will into the harness as i am planning to drop is to close the gap from the wheel..

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Get it before somebody else does. Seriously, at that price and with that kind of mileage, SC's sell like hotcakes. I do have one recommendation, though. Since the mileage is stored inside the cluster itself, it is very easy to swap clusters. I'd grab the VIN, and run a search on Lexus owners website. See the dealer service history and see if the mileage lines up.
close the deal today.. everything is original - nothing was tampered with..
Old 10-15-15, 08:04 AM
brybo86
Driver

been over a week and still no pics? cmon now