SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Trunk latch adjustment after strut install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-03, 03:05 PM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk latch adjustment after strut install?

I bought some new trunk struts from Rock Auto for my 93 SC400. I installed them last night, and now my trunk stays open. It actually pops all the way up automatically when I press the trunk release button. Pretty cool.

Anyway, the problem I am now experiencing, is that the right side of the trunk doesn't lay completely flush with the body of the car. If I push on it, it will lay flush, but it doesn't stay that way. It almost feels like there is some play in the lock mechanism that needs to be adjusted.

Is there such an adjustment, or do I just need to wait for these new struts to wear in a bit, and sag?
Old 03-25-03, 10:04 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Another post mentioned that the struts will eventually wear to the point where they no longer pop up your hood, so you might want to wait and see if that happens. .
It might be possible to move the bottom latch slightly, once you remove the inner trim panels and take a look.
Another possibility might be to remove the new strut on the right, replace it with a "worn" strut, and see what that does. With luck, the new left strut will still provide enough lift for the trunk.
Does your trunk have a spolier, and did you buy the struts designed for trunk lids with, or without the spoiler?
Old 03-25-03, 10:50 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blacksc4 ...

blacksc4 was it hard to replace your struts ??? I don't think it would be but I was just asking............. Also about the spoiler / non-spoiler, I have a SC300 with no spoiler (for right now) and my trunk struts seems to be going bad, and when I went to Auto Zone they do have both sets, the 300s struts are like $22 and the 400s are like $27, so if I got the struts for the 400 (since most 400s come with spoilers) and I put them on my 300 I should be fine right???? They should be the same in size just the ones made for the 400 is more powerful????

Thanx for any info
Shawn

Last edited by asnatlas; 03-25-03 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-25-03, 11:03 PM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

Default Re: blacksc4 ...

Originally posted by asnatlas
blacksc4 was it hard to replace your struts ??? I don't think it would be but I was just asking............. Also about the spoiler / non-spoiler, I have a SC300 with no spoiler (for right now) and my trunk struts seems to be going bad, and when I went to Auto Zone they do have both sets, the 300s struts are like $22 and the 400s are like $27, so if I got the struts for the 400 (since most 400s come with spoilers) and I put them on my 300 I should be fine right???? They should be the same in size just the ones made for the 400 is more powerful????

Thanx for any info
Shawn
It was actually more of a pain in the *** to install than I was expecting. Mine were not hard to remove, but they were tricky to pop in place. My hands are sort of banged up, and my back is a little sore, but when all is said and done- I'm glad I did it.

I don't know that I would recommend installing the SC400 struts on an SC300 without a spoiler. I have a SC400 with a spoiler, and mine really pops up with quite a bit of force. If I were to lean over the trunk while turning the key to unlock the trunk, I might get a swift upper cut to the chin. If you don't have a spoiler weighing it down, then it would flip up with even more force. Just head over to rockauto.com and order them. They're cheaper than Autozone, and they'll ship to your doorstep.
Old 03-26-03, 11:13 AM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
Another post mentioned that the struts will eventually wear to the point where they no longer pop up your hood, so you might want to wait and see if that happens. .
Could you please post a link to that post? I did a search, but can't find it.

Thanks
Old 03-26-03, 12:52 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've tried searching, but I can't seem to find it. But I definitely remember the comment.

I believe the phrase used was "enjoy (the fast pop-up) while you can"....(because eventually they won't pop the trunk up anymore).

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 03-27-03 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-27-03, 05:41 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

After 2 years w/ new trunk struts, mine still pops up with force. I wonder how long they said it took before it doesn't pop up?

Coud they have damaged them on installation?
Old 04-03-03, 02:15 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too had that problem and i thought that the trunk was messed up but since i was able to push it down, i assumed that something was loose. and it turns out i was right. pull the liner back on the trunk and you'll see like two screws holding the trunk to the bar thingie i guess you call it... but anywho the last screw was loose so i just pulled the trunk itself closer to the bar and tightened it down. now it's back to being flush how it was before. maybe this'll help
Old 04-04-03, 06:46 PM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

Originally posted by LexAnt
I too had that problem and i thought that the trunk was messed up but since i was able to push it down, i assumed that something was loose. and it turns out i was right. pull the liner back on the trunk and you'll see like two screws holding the trunk to the bar thingie i guess you call it... but anywho the last screw was loose so i just pulled the trunk itself closer to the bar and tightened it down. now it's back to being flush how it was before. maybe this'll help
Thanks for your help, but I need some clarification. Are you saying to pull back the liner on the trunk lid itself, or to pull the liner back where the struts go?
Old 04-04-03, 07:07 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull back the liner on the trunk itself... you'll see two screws that hold the spring to the lid. it's the lining on the trunk itself... not hte one you pull back to get to hte struts.
Old 04-05-03, 06:40 AM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

Thanks for your help, man. I did what you said, and now my trunk lies flush. I ended up having to adjust both sides, even though only one of the sides was not flush. It was a give and take adjustment from side to side until everything fit the way it should.

Thanks again.