SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-03, 10:47 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry What should I do?

I'm in a bit of a jam right now. 3 weeks ago, I went a professional installation place to get my amp/sub/speakers installed. However, the installation was not complete in that there was a whine/humming sound whenever I step on the accelerator or let go of it. I know this high pitch noise is probably a grounding issue. But the installer claims they tried EVERYTHING and can't get it to work and it's the SC FACTORY headunit that's causing this whine. That bugs me because while I may want to get an aftermarket unit later, I do not want to be forced into it because it should have nothing to do w/ the whine!
I tried to give them solutions I found on this forum and recommendation of experts here. However, they've really not embraced those suggestions or said they didnt work. Since I've already paid via credit card they've really ignored me up to today when I started complaining and demanded a refund.

What's worse about this experience is that while trying to fix the whine problem, they broke my factory 12 CD changer by letting a plastic piece in the rear trunk fall into it. It jammed the changer and when attempting to close it, they broke off a small plastic piece. I know it's rare to find and impossible to replace these days. They said they'll ship it to a shop and have it fixed. But it'll be like a 2 weeks turn around time.

My question is: What should I do NOW? Everyone I know said my system sounds like crap and I should demand my $ back and go somewhere who can do the work RIGHT (which the shop said they cant refund me because they've already done the work). Right now, all I want is for everything to work out and my system to sound okay and the CD player to WORK. What do you guys suggest I do?

Last edited by Legends6spd; 02-25-03 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-25-03, 11:00 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Call your credit card company. They may have a dispute resloution process you can go through where they can help you get satisfaction. This kind of stuff is so lame. You paid the money, you deserve a systen that works. They are supposed to be the experts, and they probably messed up the balanced line grounding when they connected the new amp to your head unit. This is not acceptable! Talk to your credit card company, the Better Business Bureau, keep stepping on these people's toes until they make it right or refund the labor portion of the job - you got the equipment, so you pay for that, but now you will have to go elsewhere if these morons can't figure it out and get it connected right to get rid of the alternator whine.

Oh yeah, I forgot they broke your changer. Break their elbows! No, no violence, but maybe Small Claims Court...

Morons. Grrr!

Last edited by strongsail; 02-25-03 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-25-03, 11:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

sounds like an rca is crossing over a power wire somewhere in the car. infact, if the system is grounded properly, thats exactly what the problem is. they ran the rca's over a power wire and it is inducing alternator noise.
Old 02-25-03, 11:11 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your advice strongsail. I just made a call to my credit card company and got off the phone. They'll call me tomorrow about this dispute and will take care of me. I've spent thousands of dollars on it every month and this is the first time I ever had a dispute and they really took care of me - THANK YOU Mastercard! That's what I call service!

BTW, I only paid for the install ($600+). All the equipments were mine own (brand new). Can I sue them when they've offered to fix the changer already? I've read here that only Lexus Dealers can refurbish the CD changers.

Onelasttry, thanks for your recommendation also. I bet you nailed it on the head. However, they ran all the wires to one side and I bet that is the problem. It seems to me like they just don't want to go back in and redo all that wiring.
I'll give them till the end of this week to get it fixed. I've even asked for the help of our moderator pcmw to give them a call (but I understand if you can't, MW).
If it's not fixed by end of this week, I'm going to stop wasting all this time of mine and stress and go ahead w/ the dispute.

Last edited by Legends6spd; 02-25-03 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-25-03, 11:15 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

legends, if i can help, just ask. i own a chain of stores and am a masters installer with a masters certificate in tech.

they havent broke anything i havent fixed

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-25-03 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-25-03, 11:21 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

onelasttry,

Thank you so much for your offer. You've got a PM.
Old 02-25-03, 11:37 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

as do you. that letter should do the trick nicely.

actually you have 2, i revised the letter.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-25-03 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-26-03, 09:27 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Legend,

I think you need to call the shop, explain to them you called the credit card company but would like to resolve the issue before they take action. Make EVERY attempt to get this settled. Also, document everything, bring a co-worker or other witness that can testify to what is said or done. That helps.

Altenator whine is pretty common and simple to diagnose. I am very methodical and always try to isolate the issue. You could take as given that the factory headunit has no whine. It has been there for a while and never produced the issue. I would then take a boombox or even MP3 player and plug it into your aftermarket amplifier. See if the noise is in the RCA/Signal feed. If there is no noise now, then you just need to isolate the signal feed and either insulate it with some shielding (computer motherboard anti-stat bags and 2" wide electricians tape works great) or better cables/location. If this is not the issue. Then your grounds are suspect. Test the grounds and make sure they lead to double metal weld joints that are properly scrapped etc..

Best of luck.

I would be happy to call the shop, but do not think that is appropriate given you took action with the CC company. Let me know.

MW
Old 02-26-03, 10:00 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

hey there mw! i spoke with him on a pm and they ran every wire down one side of the vehicle. obviously shoddy install. the induction he is getting won't stop until he gets a re-wire. If they aren't smart enough not to know they can't cross power and signal wires, i doubt any of us can help...lol. i gave him a form letter to try with a certified tech Siggy suggesting the proper fix, though they will probably stick their thumb somewhere and drool at the paper wondering what half the words are.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-26-03 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-26-03, 10:10 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree..

Thanks onelasttry. I have no signal noise, whine, or anything and used the factory non-shielded signal tapped from the rear trunk of the amplifier plug. I did create noise from the AudioControl LineDriver (it is audiocontrol after all)... The optimal setup would probably be to install a line driver up front, and then shielded RCAs to the rear of the car. Of course, away from the dreaded B+.

MW