SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1992 SC body work etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 05:05 PM
lexusLO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 SC body work etc

Hey guys i have some more questions. sorry if they seem remedial or anything like that but anyways, i have a little bit of body work to be done and right now im on a budget so my choices for parts are pick n pull and things like that. so would a passenger fender from any year sc300 or 400 fit on a 92? and also, check engine light comes on but i was told its not the cat converters because i went on a long drive and i didn't lose power and i was told also that the cats would of got clogged up so are there only a few things it could be or could it be anything? i had a thought that its something simple because somebody took a look under the hood and they said a little hose or something wasn't in and they put it back in and the light went off for a while but came back on so i was thinking maybe it just keeps coming out but i do not know. thanks much appreciated
Old 11-09-11, 05:11 PM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

chk engine could be numerous things there is a thread on here how to run your chk engine in the d.i.y section also fenders are interchangable
Old 11-09-11, 09:00 PM
antonio356
Driver

Any year fender works...
Old 11-09-11, 09:30 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

I would find ANY SC300 or 400 parting out in your color for body parts......
As far as the other you can have the code checked free at pepboys etc. or as suggested there is a method to checking with a paper clip you can search for, I did it years ago and it does work.
Old 11-09-11, 09:33 PM
lexusLO
Driver School Candidate

Do you know where to find it on here? im not too good on this site im kinda new..
Old 11-09-11, 10:05 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusLO
Do you know where to find it on here? im not too good on this site im kinda new..
I would just have it checked out at a pepboys or autozone etc, Are you an SC3 or 4? if its associated with the cats it could be an O2 sensor, it almost sounds like an ignition coil or igniter perhaps. But you need to have your code checked out.......You will have to do a search as far as my previous suggestion under possibly "checking codes" etc......Heres one I was a part of 5 years ago though to start.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ad-merged.html
Old 11-09-11, 10:23 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

BTW that link I added was for the O/D blinking codes IE the shift solonoids, I am sure someone here can suggest a way to check the other codes.
Old 11-10-11, 05:02 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

CEL codes can be checked with a paper clip or a wire with two bare ends.

Car needs to be in neutral and power on but not started.

Put one end of the paperclip/wire into Te1 and the other end in e1.

The light will blink a code, codes are alwasy two numbers/

Let us know what code pops up.
Old 11-10-11, 05:44 PM
lexusLO
Driver School Candidate

alright thanks. ill try it when i get home and let you know
Old 12-03-11, 05:57 PM
lexusLO
Driver School Candidate

Default Body Work

i dont know if i asked this before so apologies if i have but anyways, i need to fix my right front fender and i ask around for prices on one but everybody says it might be costly because i have a 92 and its old so its harder to find. now my question is that would i be able to buy a fender for a newer sc and still put it on my 92? and also , if i bought a fender is it cheaper to put it on myself or is it better to pay for it to be put on at a shop?
Old 12-03-11, 06:28 PM
Arkansas
Pole Position

I dont think the fenders changed on the cars through the years. And install depends on if u know what ur doing and have the means of doing it all. Ive completed an autobody course and can tell u theres more to installing a new exterior part then what u think.

First off is getting it ready to be installed. if theres any dents they need to be removed which requires u to hammer, bondo, sand, prime, sand, and then ur ready to paint. But uve also got to prep the inside of the fender as to keep it from rusting. This process is called "edging" because all the areas that can show must be painted before actually installing.
Next is to carefully install the fender. And now is when it gets to the more difficult part. The actual painting begins.

Dependant on the color of ur car, unless its black, ull have to blend ur paint into the rest of the car like ur hood and doors. Then completely spray ur fender, and then the next coat work out onto the hood and doors a lil, then a little farther on the next coat. Then clear coat everything.

Now....would u rather do all that, or let a shop spend a couple days on it for a lil extra money?
Old 12-03-11, 07:17 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure its the same as older years. For sure 92-96. You can find used ones everywhere and pretty any oem color. I would suggest you install it yourself. Its not difficult, heres a diy:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...moval-diy.html

Also a great tool for looking finding valuable info is the "search" function on the tool bar
Old 12-03-11, 08:03 PM
Arkansas
Pole Position

Just because theyre the same oem color doesnt mean exact match. The donor vehicle could be more faded then ur vehicle. And if ur like me, those things really stick out cuz I notice them
Old 12-03-11, 08:32 PM
lexusLO
Driver School Candidate

i know about the search tool but i ask on here because this is a lexus forum and i would trust people who own a lexus opposed to random sites? lol but ill probably take it to a shop and get an estimate on the work. i just thought i would save a few bucks doing the work at home