SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

A/c problem??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 06:45 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/c problem??

I recently cracked and repaired my high pressure A/C line on my 92 SC400.

I completed the repair and it seems to be holding really good!

I went to my buddy at the local Toyota dealership and had him re-fill the system with R-13 Freon!

He put it under pressure and said it is holding pressure!

I disconnected the battery for 15 seconds to reset the ECU!

I turn on the A/C and the compressor does not turn on now????

The compressor was working perfect 5 days ago before I broke the line......I dont understand????

The clutch isnt frozen or anything.
The A/C light on the dash does not blink when it is turned on.....the light stays on like normal.

Its just the Compressor does not turn for some reason?????? any ideas???
Old 01-15-09, 09:49 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

anyone know if there is anything that needs to be reset??

could the fact that its 0 degrees out have anything to do with it??
Old 01-15-09, 11:30 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Just checked and it appears my fix didn't hold..........there is oil all over my repair so I can only assume the A/C I just put in it for $35 is in the atmosphere by now....:-(

What do you guys think about this???
Link = http://www.autoacsystems.com/_store/...inerepair.html
Old 01-16-09, 06:09 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

why are you trying to reinvent the wheel. you posted your previous problem and you got answers from knowledgeable members and even a vendor.

you were quoted 200 shipped for a perfectly good used line. you didnt want to do that and opted for a DIY route which i understand and respect. i try to do as much as i can on my own either to learn how to fix it and get experience or because it is easy and saves me money. you took the time to fix it and paid to have it refilled and its still fubar'd. it leads to only one conclusion and 2 decisions to be made.

at this point, i think you need to have someone with experience fix or help you fix this OR contact ALIGA(gazi) and order the new line from him. think about this before you dump close to 200 bucks on a kit that i doubt you will use ever again in your life.

DIY only works and saves you money IF you do it right
Old 01-16-09, 06:59 AM
Mistahxken
Driver

gotta agree with that ^^^^^^^
Old 01-16-09, 08:31 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggle View Post
Im just really mad because I Just had the system vacuumed out and refilled with oil and R-13 freon about 3 weeks ago!

I was just wondering if the entire line had to be replaced or there was some type of repair solution. Replacing the entire line looks like it would be a huge pain in the ***.

Has anyone ever replaced the "high pressure" line that runs along the bottom of the car parallel with the radiator??

I figured there may be some sort of "wrap product" on the market that you can just wrap around the part that is leaking?

My leak is right where there is a bracket holding the line! Please Dont laugh at the rubber band and zip tie! HA HA

Reply quote by SHOLEXMAN:
Hey man it is R-12 not 13 edit that. Replace the line don't (JB weld ) the line on a high pressure side epic fail. Welding it would work ,but if the weld goes into the small hole inside the tube you would have a restriction. That would cause high pressure in the lines and cause the line or a fitting to blow off. Not worth spending more money on a ghetto fix. You also run the risk of wearing the rest of the life out of the compressor because of the higher line pressures. You can find the line at a junkyard if you want it for cheaper. Replace the o rings on the ends of the lines. DO NOT use black o rings those are not for A/C use. Or you can go to a custom line shop and they can make your own A/C replacement line they just use the end fittings. Tell them the length and if you need a certain bend in it somewhere tell them that also. From the picture it looks like your leaking coolant man. Do you have another leak besides that or is that the leak and you thought it was your A/C?

Dude are you straight up retarded or something?! You didn't listen to anything I said! You decided to go the ghetto way and do you expect to happen! You lost all the refrigerant and that is why the a/c compressor isn't kicking on. It isn't sensing any pressure in the system! They don't make R-12 anymore! Its not R-13! Unless you got lucky enough to find some ,but that is really rare these days. He most likely put R-134A because a retrofitted A/C system takes that. REPLACE THE LINE AND THE O RINGS NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!

Mods you need to lock this thread before this gets out of hand. This kid doesn't want to listen.
Old 01-16-09, 12:25 PM
User1321989
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WEEEE TARDED!!!!....

solid advice......not so solid action....
Old 01-16-09, 12:38 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Replacing the entire High pressure line isnt an option

My system is R-13.....I did the swap a month ago!

1.) Doesn't make sense to invest $200 for a used A/C Line on a old 92 SC400!

2.) The removal/install of the line requires way too much stuff to be removed.....its just not justifiable to wrench for hours in -20 degree weather.

I checked the system today and it still seems to have plenty of pressure in it........I think my repair just has a very very very small leak.

Why are you giving me such a hard time for trying a DIY fix that cost me only $30??.....It was worth the chance that it may work.

Just wondering what you guys think about this solution?? = http://www.autoacsystems.com/_store/...inerepair.html

Its a repair kit for the exact problem I have!...........If I had know this existed last week I would have just given this a try in the first place!
Old 01-16-09, 12:44 PM
User1321989
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dirkdiggle
Replacing the entire High pressure line isnt an option

My system is R-13.....I did the swap a month ago!
WTF IS R13?? R12 yes... R13? is this new?

1.) Doesn't make sense to invest $200 for a used A/C Line on a old 92 SC400!
If it doesnt make sense then dont fix it and shut up about it

2.) The removal/install of the line requires way too much stuff to be removed.....its just not justifiable to wrench for hours in -20 degree weather.
IF its -20 WHY THE **** ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT A/C??? Move to florida then *****!!!

Why are you giving me such a hard time for trying a DIY fix that cost me only $30??.....It was worth the chance that it may work.

Just wondering what you guys think about this solution?? = http://www.autoacsystems.com/_store/...inerepair.html
MOST everyone in here has a lexus at one time or another, and/or cares enough about their cars not to half *** things....maybe you should ask the guys in the honda/acura forums....i know i've had my fair share i used to half *** it too....now that you should of grown up to the big boys, do things like the big boys, the RIGHT WAY!!!

Its a repair kit for the exact problem I have!...........If I had know this existed last week I would have just given this a try in the first place!

I really dont understand you... READ ABOVE
Old 01-16-09, 01:04 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

I am moving to Florida in a week or 2.....that's why I need to get the A/C fixed.

Mine no longer uses the R-12........I did the swap to the new R-134 stuff.....that doesn't make sense???

Investing $200 for a used line that may or may not hold up + many hours of labor into a 1992 SC400 with 170k miles does not seem logical too me.....not sure about the rest of you???

It does make sense for me too get this fixed but within reasonable means! If one of my more inexpensive solutions work, I can then let everyone else know and it may help someone else on a budget in the future!

I appreciate everyone telling me the 100% correct way to do this fix, I can then price that solution out and if its not within the budget I have to be creative and come up with another solution.............don't understand all the hate going on here??
Old 01-16-09, 05:18 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you are offered to buy a line from a Club Lexus vendor. if that line doesnt work you get your money back. this isnt your local scrub junk yard.

i have an idea. if you are complaining of how cold it is to work on the car and all that jazz, why dont you go to florida and buy the line there and install it. warm weather makes you work faster
Old 01-16-09, 05:19 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dirkdiggle
I am moving to Florida in a week or 2.....that's why I need to get the A/C fixed.

Mine no longer uses the R-12........I did the swap to the new R-134 stuff.....that doesn't make sense???

You weren't listing it correctly at all! It is R-134a and you kept saying R-13 which was not even close durrrrrr.

Investing $200 for a used line that may or may not hold up + many hours of labor into a 1992 SC400 with 170k miles does not seem logical too me.....not sure about the rest of you???

Go to a junk yard dingleberry and you can get it for much cheaper. Lines don't fail because they want to they fail because people like you cut into them while trying to use brute force to take something out. It only may take only 2 hours if that I don't know what your talking about unless your trying to use a screwdriver lol.

It does make sense for me too get this fixed but within reasonable means! If one of my more inexpensive solutions work, I can then let everyone else know and it may help someone else on a budget in the future!

If your going to complain about a $200 or less fix you might as well get a Honda like mentioned above. I mentioned another place aka custom line shop. They shouldn't charge over $100 for a line if they do go somewhere else.

I appreciate everyone telling me the 100% correct way to do this fix, I can then price that solution out and if its not within the budget I have to be creative and come up with another solution.............don't understand all the hate going on here??
Your just not listening and then you make another thread about it that just pisses people off that give you help. Either save the money to buy another line,get one made at a line shop,or run it without A/C thats it. Stop making more useless multiple threads about the same issue!
Old 01-16-09, 05:24 PM
User1321989
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
Your just not listening and then you make another thread about it that just pisses people off that give you help. Either save the money to buy another line,get one made at a line shop,or run it without A/C thats it. Stop making more useless multiple threads about the same issue!
x2

or find a local junkyard, most junkyards will guarantee used stuff for 30 days....

stop whining and fix it....or leave it be
Old 01-16-09, 05:57 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

As much fun as this will turn into. Its time to close it.