SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How do I convert 92 to 97 instr. panel w/passenger air bag?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 09:39 AM
evans92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I convert 92 to 97 instr. panel w/passenger air bag?

I am hoping to convert my 92 SC400 instrument panel (without passenger air bag) to a 97 panel (with passenger air bag). To make the new airbag work, is it just a question of creating a pigtail to power the air bag, or should I be looking at replacing the center crash sensor and one or more of the instrument panel wiring harnesses? If the latter, do I need to have a 97 sensor and harness, or will earlier 93+ ones work? Any other issues to worry about?

Has anyone done this before? I tried searching the forums, but unsuccessfully.
Old 08-27-08, 03:30 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the 92 doesnt have the passanger air bag entirely. the chassis harness and the dash harness between the two cars would be different.

let me get this straight...you want to put a 97 gauge cluster into a 92 or the 97 complete dashboard and all into a 92 sc400 without one?

if you want to swap the whole dash i dont really see the point. its a lot of money just in parts for the conversion. the dash from the 93+ is the same as the 97. the only difference is the 93-96? have a multi-piece wood trim around passanger air bag and 97+ have a one piece design.

if you want to add the passanger air bag and that is your only goal in the swap then i would say not to bother with it. if you want to swap just the gauge clusters there should be a few write ups on that if you search.
Old 08-27-08, 04:04 PM
evans92
Driver School Candidate

The goal is to connect/add the passenger air bag. I have the 97 instrument panel (dashboard) for "free" from an interior I bought primarily to refresh/upgrade my seats, steering wheel, door panel, etc. I thought it would be worthwhile to protect the passenger with an air bag if it could be done.

I did not get the instrument cluster gauges with the interior (the seller was doing a convert to black on black), so if I have to upgrade the wiring harnesses for the air bag, it is possible that will screw up connections to my 1992 clusters.
Old 08-27-08, 10:59 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the easiest, fastest, and cheapest way to do it would be to sell your 92 and buy a 97.

even year to year, there are so many minor differences between cars. junction blocks, plugs, etc. all sorts of stupid little things.

you'd basically need the complete guts from a 97, and I mean everything in the entire car.

not worth the effort
Old 08-27-08, 11:38 PM

Default Help...

ok so im doing the same thing kinda...... i have almost 90% of oem blank interior from a 1993. my car is a 92 but i dont need the airbag to work i just need it to fit! please help!! asap im planing on doing a whole day surgery to my interior tommor.....i hope it will fit..... pm me to let me knoe please thanks!
Old 08-28-08, 09:11 AM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're just trying to put the dash in, I wouldn't think there would be any fitment issues.

So far as making that passenger airbag actually work, good luck man, seems like a lot of trouble to me, but it's nice to see some people caring about their passengers, lol
Old 08-28-08, 09:39 AM
evans92
Driver School Candidate

Since I also own a 1985 zx300, I won't ask 1985zcar why he is lol about my concern for passengers. But you would think he would have more concern for his own mother.

As for fitment issues asked by djKevin510, it will fit. The main part of the dashboard is exactly the same for attachment, etc. However, there is a support piece that runs along the back of the dashboard (top and sides) that includes hollow air ducts formed out of black plastic that is different between the years. The support piece from a 92 may fit the 93 if you leave out the air bag and jury-rig a couple of attachment points. This support piece probably was redone in 1993 to accommodate the air bag. However, you should have gotten the support piece still attached to your 93 dash. Most people would not think to separate them when removing the dash from the car.

As far as the instrument panel mating up to the a/c and heater, all the intervening air duct pieces are exactly the same for 92 and 93, so I am assuming that air flow will work ok.

That just leaves the wiring harnesses, and center sensor (which may have the connector for a wire to the passenger air bag). I have not yet done the research. I am hoping that the harness just has an extra run for the air bag, and that the rest will be ok. I was hoping that someone on the forum could help me out with some experience with this.

By the way, there is one piece below the glove box that the 93-97 instrument panel has that the 92 does not have. I am currently missing that piece. I assume it is black, and it hides under another colored trim piece with grills. The new piece has three rectangular holes where the grills are on the other piece, to allow air flow I assume. It is a support piece that you will need from whoever sold you the interior. If anyone has a spare one, send me a PM.

There are several black pieces from the 1992 instrument panel that are the same for the 1993+ panels, and are always black regardless of the interior color. Since they are not colored, they may not have been given to you when you bought your interior (unless you bought a black interior). You can reuse the ones from your 1992 panel.
Old 08-28-08, 11:56 AM
phrozen
Lead Lap

the dash bar for a 92 is different then a 93+ so u need to get a dash bar form a 93 up if u have a 92 since 92 dosent have a pass airbag
Old 08-28-08, 12:06 PM

i have the dash with the stock wireing harness...and that metal support part... mybe i can use my airbag as well lol