SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help!!! Is Lexus Oem Black Paint Single Stage???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-08, 10:34 AM
98supra6sp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Is Lexus Oem Black Paint Single Stage???

My painter and I have experienced the worst paint fiasco with painting my father's black on black 98 Sc400. When I bought the car used last November it was what I considered a five footer. The car had what appeared to be halo's throughout the paint job especially on the hood roof and trunk, which was described as solvent pop. My father's current car is an immaculate 92 SC400 in dark green/tan with roughly 103K miles. I could not ask him to give up his favorite car, for a car that looked worse than his. To make a long story short I had my painter sand it down and than prime, seal spray it and clear it with the Global line of PPG paint products. According to PPG this was their top of the line paint. He had over 150 hours into it and I have 200 plus pictures of the car in all of it's stages. He wet sanded and rubbed it out and the car looked like wet glass, I couldn't have been happier with the results of his meticulous paint work. Before assembling the windows he backed the car out into the sun for the majority of the day and than later that night pulled it back into the garage and left it for two days. When he got back and looked at the car all of the halo's re-appeared. He called me and said that he had some bad news and the paint job was ruined. I had just seen it three days ago and it looked perfect. I was wondering if it had been vandalized. He told me than that the Halo's reappeared. We were both sick. So I agreed to re-purchase the paint and related products. He sanded the car down all the way to the the primer and in some places to the metal. This time he used heat lamps and more time between coats especially between the paint and clear coats. The car looked great again. He waited an entire month for the paint to cure before attempting the wet sanding and buffing process. This second time he wanted to make sure that that these Halo's would not re-appear especially before he spent a full day rubbing and wet sanding the car again. The car was here during the beautiful winter weather of MI. Once we had a day of sun he put the car outside in the sunlight for the entire day. When he brought the car back inside the garage to wet sand and buff it he noticed the Halo's starting to form again. That was early April. I have talked to several painter's over the past few months and the consensus is that he will need to chemical strip the entire car including all of the plastic down to bear metal and plastic. He has been dreading this since he know has just shy of 300 hours into this paint job. Hopefully next week the chemical stripping process will begin. Does anyone know if the black paint used by Toyota/Lexus is actually suppose to be a single stage paint. The reason I ask is that I was on VIPIMPORTS.com and they were showing a Black 98 Supra TT 6spd, exactly like mine and they said that the front fenders, hood, and bumper were correctly re-painted in the single stage black paint exactly like how it left from the factory. My painter also said that when removing a lot of the trim that he too felt that the original paint job was a single stage Black with no pure. Do any of you SC or Supra fanatics out there know definitively if this car came from the factory with no clear and just a single stage black paint.

Last edited by 98supra6sp; 06-13-08 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-13-08, 10:50 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's black onyx factory Lexus color, then it's probably a single stage paint. That's how you get that rich oily blackness.
Old 06-13-08, 10:52 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did some more search on black onyx lexus cars, and I am pretty sure now that it's a single stage paint with no clear.
Old 06-13-08, 11:35 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

simple solution...... Anyone ever see a black sc peeling?
Old 06-13-08, 02:31 PM
J:M
Pole Position

Talking

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
simple solution...... Anyone ever see a black sc peeling?
I'm a laymen when it comes to paint. I don't understand what that means. Can someone explain?
Old 06-14-08, 10:57 AM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you DONT have to keep the same paint u CAN go a different route and change the color
Old 06-17-08, 12:26 PM
broman
Driver School Candidate

OEM black onyx does not use clearcoat. Paint guy confirmed this when I had the front resprayed; he was surprised. G/L!
Old 06-17-08, 12:34 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey 98supra at my dealer they have a black SC thats in the body shop right now i'll ask the painter whats the deal with ur topic tomorrow.
Old 06-17-08, 01:44 PM
98supra6sp
Driver

Thanks guys. My painter said that it was single stage but I kept saying that there was probably no way that Lexus/Toyota would not use base coat clear coat. I guess I am wrong and he is correct. This whole situation just sucks. This solvent pop or halos is just relentless. I guess the next step is chemical stripping the whole car down to bare metal. Heck maybe third time will be the charm. I sure the hell hope so.