SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lock / Window / Handle Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 04:20 PM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lock / Window / Handle Problem.

Hey guys, had a problem that just popped back up while 2 more popped up seemingly out of nowhere.

Yesterday I was driving my girlfriend somewhere and she tried to roll down the passenger window, there was a weird grinding/pop noise, and now the window does work, I can pull it closed but it will fall down on its own as I drive, to about 6" down. It stops there for unknown reasons. Now she thinks she broke my car and is having woman issues because of it; but I'll spare you on that part. We get home, and I run around to let her out... the damn outside handle won't work!!! Ack!!!

At this same time, my power lock problem decided to reappear. I had issues with it for most of this past summer and it finally went away on its own . It reared its ugly head once more, just to spite me. My power lock problem is this: I hit unlock (either key, driver door button, or passenger door button) and it partially unlocks, then decides against it, and relocks the car.

This lock problem is usually accompanied with the whole car not responding to the key properly (i.e.: I hit the button on the key, it starts to unlock, but doesn't unlock the driver door OR passenger door, no beep or anything). At this point I have to use my key to unlock the driver door, open it, unlock the passenger door by hand (zomg, oh noes), then use the inside handle to open it. This is a Lexus dammit! Not a Geo!

I did a search and found that the clip on the door handle tends to break. I was all excited and took the door apart today when I got home; broke part of the clip for the power lock while I was at it (go me); so now the wire won't stay in place when I put it back together. Peeled back the film, looked over there and saw the clip sitting there happily. It has not broken to my knowledge. If it is broken, it's hiding it quite well.

My only other thought is that possibly there is a spot in the door (which I am unable to see) where these wires have conspired and decided to mangle themselves and block the window. I don't know why they'd do that to me, I've always treated them fairly.

Any suggestions? Could the window regulator going out have anything to do with this cluster******? I can still hear it trying to work if I press the button, but it seems like it is convinced it is both all the way up and all the way down at the same time.

Ack, ack, ack.