SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tinting my Tails

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 06:38 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Tinting my Tails

So i wanted to tint my tail lights and ive been looking for that spray stuff and was told by a friend, who did it to his car, that he used window tint spray for model cars from a hobby shop and he likes the results(and i do too lol). i havent been to any hobby shops yet to look for it because there arent any close to me or that are open when im ready to buy it so i picked up some $10 tint from auto zone and am going to try it and see what happens, if it looks stupid then i'll take it off and make a real effort to get some tint spray but if it looks good, then ive got tinted tails for $10. Either way i will post pictures of the end product if its good or bad. Has anyone else used window tint for this, and if so how did it turn out?
Old 04-25-07, 07:22 PM
wildrice09
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocessk3
So i wanted to tint my tail lights and ive been looking for that spray stuff and was told by a friend, who did it to his car, that he used window tint spray for model cars from a hobby shop and he likes the results(and i do too lol). i havent been to any hobby shops yet to look for it because there arent any close to me or that are open when im ready to buy it so i picked up some $10 tint from auto zone and am going to try it and see what happens, if it looks stupid then i'll take it off and make a real effort to get some tint spray but if it looks good, then ive got tinted tails for $10. Either way i will post pictures of the end product if its good or bad. Has anyone else used window tint for this, and if so how did it turn out?
I've done something similar to this before. I used cling on tint for windows instead. Personally I think that it looks ok but I decided to take them off. Looking at your sig, you have a 95 or 96, so I would say just buy some transparent candy apple red spray paint and paint the top orange part of your tails. I think it looks ten times better. Good luck
Old 04-25-07, 10:20 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I'm about to tint the back of my lights in black, and I plan on using just a window tint darkener... So I hope that works.
Old 04-26-07, 09:07 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

window tint would be the best because the spray can get uneven and looks rough. tint is reversible so if you dont like it, you can remove it.

see ya tommorow
Old 04-26-07, 06:24 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Originally Posted by wildrice09
paint the top orange part of your tails.
95-96 models dont have that top orange strip its 92-94 that does, my top is red and bottom is red with white reverse and a small orange section for turn signals. i tried the tint and unfortunately it doesnt work(cant get out all air pockets b/c of curved shape). i think i might just order the tint spray off the internet because i cant find any hobby shops near me that have it.
Old 04-26-07, 06:46 PM
LayinLo
Pole Position

If all else fails and you want to be on the "safe side" you can go have it painted at a body shop, they can spray a light coat of blk, and who knows maybe if you work it right they can do it for free. OK maybe not for free, but almost next to nothing. Believe me you'll be happy. I've done it plenty of times and I get all kinds of praise.
Old 04-26-07, 07:09 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

thats actually not a bad idea, thanks. i'll look into that this week
Old 04-26-07, 09:29 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use VHT niteshades.... ive done it for my friends '06 330i, '99 integra, and '02 eclipse taillights and my sc4's sidemarkers

theyve all liked it.. i had no trouble with air bubbles or such and just sprayed a couple coats of clear after to make em really shine
Old 04-27-07, 01:09 AM
wildrice09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rocessk3
95-96 models dont have that top orange strip its 92-94 that does, my top is red and bottom is red with white reverse and a small orange section for turn signals. i tried the tint and unfortunately it doesnt work(cant get out all air pockets b/c of curved shape). i think i might just order the tint spray off the internet because i cant find any hobby shops near me that have it.
O yea sorry. My car is a 95 too but for some reason it had 92 tails on it when I bought it but I didn't know anything about the car then.

Well when I used the tint it worked out ok. I had maybe one or two very small airbubbles in it. Heres a few pics of what it looked like.

Old 04-27-07, 05:16 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

thats not bad looking, i think im just going to give in and buy the VHT nightshades off the internet, everything else seems too complicated or doesnt turn out just right, i want perfection lol
Old 04-27-07, 11:27 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

i just bought four(because its so hard to find and only $5, what the hell) cans of tint spray at a hobby shop. i havent put it in yet but i will soon hopefully.
Old 04-27-07, 11:42 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

do it now for tonight man! haha btw i fixed my car
Old 04-27-07, 11:45 AM
Bandit400
Driver School Candidate

let us know how it goes rocessk3

I look forward to hearing the story because I'm considering this simple upgrade myself.
Old 04-27-07, 07:21 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

trust me, i'll keep everyone updated
Old 04-27-07, 07:36 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

i wanna see this! hurry up lol

Quick Reply: Tinting my Tails