SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

old subject, need help airbag light on

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-05, 01:47 PM
videofxr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old subject, need help airbag light on

Made error today when changing bulbs in SC cluster. Turned on ignition with cluster disconnected, airbag light on now.
I have made tons of attempts to clear code using TC/AB grounding method but still have
the light. Any tricks and any help. Is the light suppose to go out when I am ground the
alternating pins. It goes out, but when I am on the final grounding and holding TC, the light comes back on and flashes the error code.
Old 08-04-05, 01:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

2 different ways to do it: http://lextech.org/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=67&
Old 08-04-05, 02:02 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried that damn paperclip method and it didn't work for me either. What you have to do is dig up an old thread by "siniquezu" where he talked about a little "switching device" he rigged up to make this process easier. From what I recall it was a simple toggle switch wired up to 3 wires, the end of each wire had a paperclip on it. One clip ground on the door hinge, a second clip in the TC port, and a 3rd clip in the AB port. He then flipped the switch a couple of times and it turns the light off...it's all in the timing of the switching and the toggle apparatus makes the switching more uniform. He bought all the parts for the toggle thingie from Radio Shack for like $10 I believe. I really wish I could find that thread for you but I couldn't. Maybe someone else can chime in and correct anything incorrect I may have stated. Good luck to you

edit-Here it is, but the pics aren't showing anymore: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...293#post852293

-Mike

Last edited by mikeloc24; 08-04-05 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 05:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

That was the method on my link.
Old 08-05-05, 05:55 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I've cleared it with two wires and a good ground. The Repair Manual explains the process very well and once you FULLY understand how you need to alternate the wires, it's pretty flexible with the timing.

The secret is overlapping the ground times on the two wires. First time I tried to clear the light it took maybe 3 or 4 tries and it cleared.

I've been contemplating making an airbag light clearing module with the right timer IC's. Should be pretty cheap and only require to to plug in three wires and press a button.

But it's easier to just ground the damn wires yourself.
Old 08-05-05, 07:13 AM
WEBINTL
Pole Position

THIS IS AMAZING MINES JUST CAME ON YESTERDAY AS I WAS MESSING AROUND MY LIGHT SWITCH. THANKS GUYS
Old 08-05-05, 09:29 AM
videofxr
Rookie

Default Found Problem, Thanks to all

I found the problem, my jumper to AB had a bad alligator clip, so that wasn't working.
Rest first time with new jumper. Thanks to everyone for all their help.
Old 08-05-05, 03:26 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took me a while to get it too. Drove like this for the past two years. After re-reading the thread, I gave it another shot.

Tried different speeds, and noticed when I did it at a less rapid pace, the airbag light cleared! Hooray! Before that I was getting code 41.

Finally, I'm so happy. Now if only UPS will deliver my distributor, I can be on my way back to New York.