OK, here's my n00b question post

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-03, 08:17 AM
fc3s7
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, here's my n00b question post

Hey everybody -

I more or less introduced myself in the paint colors thread. I'm a long-time RX-7 guy, have had 2nd gen RX-7's since about '96 or so. There's very little I don't know about those cars - I've worked on probably 50-60 of them, built around 15 engines, done most anything you can do to them. So, I hope to bring some of my body of knowledge to the SC community.

If the financing works out, I'll hopefully be in a black '92 SC300 5-speed by the end of the week . My goal for the car is just to keep it nice, with minimal mods - no wild turbo setups or the like. My '88 Turbo RX-7 has absolutely RIDICULOUS mods on it, and a car like that just gets to be no fun real quick - you're more worried about what's gonna break next than anything else.

Anyhow, my plan for the SC is pretty simple - nice stereo/speakers, nice wheels, exhaust for a little better tone (exhaust note is a biggie for me, the SC does sound great stock, though!), maybe the BFI airbox mod, that's about it.

So, on to the noob questions -

- Exhausts. I know there's axle-back and cat-back systems available. Are the JDM Soarer cat-backs not compatible/bolt-on? I think I also read that the SC400 uses a different cat-back setup, so you couldn't bolt an SC400 cat-back on. True? I might just go for a custom-built system - not super worried about power, just want good tone.

- Keys. I saw a link/sticky/what have you of a guy selling keys for the Lexus. Hopefully the used car dealer has the real key, but I test drove it with the valet key (didn't open glovebox/trunk). I believe that you need the VIN and proof of ownership to have a dealer make keys. Are they pricey? Does the car have a remote system stock (remote trunk pop/door unlock) ?

- Power seats. I've yet to see any threads about people having trouble with them - are they pretty reliable?

Anyhow, I'm dyin' to get my hands on that car . Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Dale
Old 11-24-03, 08:44 AM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Welcome,
Try this link, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=Jic+Bullet

If you search, you'll find more info on them.....
Old 11-24-03, 08:44 AM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice to meet ya dale... as far as exhaust goes- your golder, then SC300 can bolt up JDM soarer cat backs, which means you have quite a few options. The most common cat back is the JIC cat back. There are quite a few other cat back for the car, I will have to look in my Hyper Rev (vol. 35) for the other cat backs. And on that note- if you want to get a good guide of what JDM products are out there for the Soarer 2.5 TT, SC300 and SC400... the Hyper Rev Vol. 35 is a priceless publication. (note- it is all in Japanese- but they do post in english if it is for the 1UZ-FE, 2JZ-GE, or 1JZ-GTE... and so on.

I do not know about the keys?

MY power seats have NEVER (knock on wood) had a problem. The leather looks worn but the seats keep moving!

Hope you get the car-
Rob
Old 11-24-03, 08:55 AM
fc3s7
Rookie

Thanks for the input! That's great that the JDM cat-backs bolt right up - I'm sure there's quite a few Soarer exhausts over there .

Anyone have a good source for Hyperrev 35? I've got all the RX-7 Hyper-revs (3 of them) and have spent MANY hours poring over them - they're invaluable. I've been trying to find a good source for that issue, but have come up empty so far.

One thing that will help - a good buddy of mine in the RX-7 club here is a mechanic at the Lexus dealer . That will be a good source for tech info when I need to do some wrenching on the car.

If the used car dealer doesn't have the real deal keys, I'll probably knock some off the price for that, then get a set made.

Speaking of, is there a way to enable the inside trunk opener? When I first looked at the car, the battery was dead (they had left the doors open all day working on it, they're putting in a new passenger side window regulator ) and I don't know if that is part of the reason the trunk opener was disabled. I might have to see if there's a way to just jumper it to pop the trunk.

Anyhow, thanks guys! I've got another browser opening right now reading through old threads - I'll be wearing out the search function today .

Dale
Old 11-24-03, 09:05 AM
themustafa
Rookie

I think a new master key with remote unlock was something like $90 last time i checked; I'm going to have to replace the same thing coming up soon, so let me know if you find a cheaper source.

the inside trunk opener has a lock right next to it between it and the inside fuel door release... its probably locked, and you cant unlock it unless you have a master key.

as far as exhaust goes, i have a borla axle-back system, and although it has a nice note, its not as loud as i would like. hopefully when i change out the headers, it will sound a little bit louder / deeper.
Old 11-25-03, 06:58 AM
fc3s7
Rookie

Thanks! I'm hoping they actually have the real key, and not just the valet key. But, that will be a point in my favor for bargaining a price .

I had a Carfax run on the car, and it's got a clean history.

Did I mention it's a '92 with 64,000 miles on it? Dang!

It will be nice to drive a clean, low mileage car. My daily driver right now is an '86 RX-7 base with 193,000 miles on it . Runs like a champ, but it's just not a nice, clean car by any stretch.

BTW, is there a consensus on best places to get stock parts? I've found a few big Lexus dealers that have an online presence, and seem to discount parts. Big thing I want is a place that will treat me right, have parts guys that are sharp and know what I'm talking about, and will give a fair price.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 11-25-03, 07:33 AM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

Good luck with your purchase-

As for the exhaust, i just went custom- I couldn't justify spending 800 on a system that will only give me a little hp gain. I paid 350 in total for mine, and has the great sound i was looking for without the huge price tag, and it's a little quicker in the higher rpm range also.
Old 11-25-03, 07:49 AM
fc3s7
Rookie

Good point - there's not much sense dropping a lot of coin on an exhaust when you're only looking for a bit better tone and not much more power, especially since I'm not planning on going turbo or anything.

What mufflers did you use for your exhaust?

Dale
Old 11-25-03, 08:42 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by fc3s7
Thanks! I'm hoping they actually have the real key, and not just the valet key. But, that will be a point in my favor for bargaining a price .

I had a Carfax run on the car, and it's got a clean history.

Did I mention it's a '92 with 64,000 miles on it? Dang!

It will be nice to drive a clean, low mileage car. My daily driver right now is an '86 RX-7 base with 193,000 miles on it . Runs like a champ, but it's just not a nice, clean car by any stretch.

BTW, is there a consensus on best places to get stock parts? I've found a few big Lexus dealers that have an online presence, and seem to discount parts. Big thing I want is a place that will treat me right, have parts guys that are sharp and know what I'm talking about, and will give a fair price.

Thanks,
Dale
Steve Ganz has by far and away the best prices on the board. You can reach him at SUPRATRD through our private messaging system. He works at a Carson Toyota dealership in California and supplies all the best Lexus/Toyota parts to us. Another good one is Todd and TMEngineering... they have many toys for the SC you may want to look into. I believe the website is tmengineering.net or .com Enjoy the invaluale knowledge on the bored and don't be afraid to use the search button.

-Anthony
Old 11-25-03, 08:47 AM
fc3s7
Rookie

Good deal - I've already seen his posts, and bookmarked the site.

Thanks!

Dale
Old 11-25-03, 11:34 AM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

Originally posted by fc3s7
Good point - there's not much sense dropping a lot of coin on an exhaust when you're only looking for a bit better tone and not much more power, especially since I'm not planning on going turbo or anything.

What mufflers did you use for your exhaust?

Dale
ractive- but i assure you they don't sound ricey. a muffler is a muffler unless you're doin hks or apex or somethin

Here are some pics, piping is on the second page

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=1