RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Inside Cargo Cover/Shade

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-15, 06:54 AM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside Cargo Cover/Shade

I was closing the back door last night and notice a shade or sorts that retracts into the back door. I didn't even know that it was there. There are brief instructions on the underside of the back door, and also in the owner's manual. Neither of these make sense to me. Looking at the cover itself, the left side seems to be slightly loose and can be pulled out just a little. The right side is firmly anchored in place. How can I remove this cover?
Old 05-09-15, 09:33 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The small panel that attaches to the rear cargo hatch should be "plugged-in" at all locations. It will be flush against the inside hatch door when you have it installed right. If you don't, it's a potential place for future squeaks and rattles. Just keep giving it a college try per instructions you've found to get it all the way in. It's DIFFICULT but IMHO you need to keep working it until all plugs go in, and pray you never knock it off when carrying something in the rear and have to go through the process again. Good luck.

There are other threads on the "tonneau cover" with more info. Basically the piece you see attached to the hatch is there so that when you have the tonneau cover fully extended to the rear, only a small area is visible through the back window. ...and yes, you can see a lot between the back seats and where the tonneau cover is normally retracted to. Hoards of discussion (and my dissatisfaction) on that as I said in other threads, as it wasn't a problem in the 2010-12s that had "flaps" attached to the rear of the back seats and the tonneau cover retraction bar, but as of the 2013, Lexus chose to eliminate them.
Old 05-09-15, 10:05 AM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Originally Posted by BertL
The small panel that attaches to the rear cargo hatch should be "plugged-in" at all locations. It will be flush against the inside hatch door when you have it installed right. If you don't, it's a potential place for future squeaks and rattles. Just keep giving it a college try per instructions you've found to get it all the way in. It's DIFFICULT but IMHO you need to keep working it until all plugs go in, and pray you never knock it off when carrying something in the rear and have to go through the process again. Good luck.

There are other threads on the "tonneau cover" with more info. Basically the piece you see attached to the hatch is there so that when you have the tonneau cover fully extended to the rear, only a small area is visible through the back window. ...and yes, you can see a lot between the back seats and where the tonneau cover is normally retracted to. Hoards of discussion (and my dissatisfaction) on that as I said in other threads, as it wasn't a problem in the 2010-12s that had "flaps" attached to the rear of the back seats and the tonneau cover retraction bar, but as of the 2013, Lexus chose to eliminate them.
After posting this, and before reading the reply, I went back and fiddled with it again. I was able to remove and reinstall it securely. It was not fully inserted/seated on the one corner. Thanks as always for the detailed reply and information. It seems that I'm learning something everyday. Now to that end, what's up with the dual climate control? I see temp controls for driver and passenger, but no "dual" button as shown in the manual. How do you return it to driver for both sides mode beside adjusting the passenger temp to match?
Old 05-10-15, 04:32 AM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dadofruth
After posting this, and before reading the reply, I went back and fiddled with it again. I was able to remove and reinstall it securely. It was not fully inserted/seated on the one corner. Thanks as always for the detailed reply and information. It seems that I'm learning something everyday. Now to that end, what's up with the dual climate control? I see temp controls for driver and passenger, but no "dual" button as shown in the manual. How do you return it to driver for both sides mode beside adjusting the passenger temp to match?
through the on-screen menu - there's a button
Old 05-11-15, 05:19 PM
Dadofruth
Rookie

Originally Posted by gklatv
through the on-screen menu - there's a button
Got it. Thanks.