RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

What to choose? 13' RX, 12-13' X5, 12-13' ML, or ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-15, 04:55 PM
adgvpm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own all three makes - Lexus, Mercedes, & BMW. When it comes to service and parts, there is not that much difference between any of the brands. Likewise, from a reliability perspective, I've had just as good luck from the German brands as I do with the Lexus. The key is to perform the required maintenance and fluid changes when the cars need to be serviced.
My recommendation is to go with the SUV that you will most enjoy everyday; the one that will put a smile on your face when you look at it in your garage. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, so get the ones that best meets your needs.
Old 02-08-15, 08:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by adgvpm
I own all three makes - Lexus, Mercedes, & BMW. When it comes to service and parts, there is not that much difference between any of the brands. Likewise, from a reliability perspective, I've had just as good luck from the German brands as I do with the Lexus.
I just cannot disagree with this more. I know many people with BMW and Mercedes vehicles as well as others with Lexus vehicles. There is no doubt that as they age the BMW and Mercedes owners pay more for service and parts, and their vehicles are less reliable. This is supported by independent stats also.

If you're going to buy it new and keep it three years, then yeah they're all about the same. But if you are going to keep it past 6-70k miles and be out from under the warranty, the ONLY vehicle I would choose is the Lexus...and that comes despite me actually preferring the BMW and MB competitors for the RX.
Old 02-08-15, 08:27 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Correct. After 4 years, the price of MB maintenance literally sky rockets. Actually from years 1-4, MB service can actually be cheaper than Lexus service, since Lexus suggest every 5K miles rather than 10K like MB. Thats 8 services for Lexus versus only 4 for Benz. After that MB starts tacking on Transmission oil changes that cost upwards of 600 dollars at the dealership. Brake fluid change as well for about ~300 dollars
Old 02-09-15, 06:04 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by adgvpm
I own all three makes - Lexus, Mercedes, & BMW. When it comes to service and parts, there is not that much difference between any of the brands. Likewise, from a reliability perspective, I've had just as good luck from the German brands as I do with the Lexus. The key is to perform the required maintenance and fluid changes when the cars need to be serviced.
My recommendation is to go with the SUV that you will most enjoy everyday; the one that will put a smile on your face when you look at it in your garage. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, so get the ones that best meets your needs.
We all have different experiences and I appreciate everyone's views, but I also have a very different opinion on reliability, service and parts between my rides:
  • My BMW 335i had fit and finish problems with paint, an unaligned top with a bad gasket causing leaks that had to be replaced in the first 2 weeks of ownership, and an engine that went into limp mode multiple times -- twice while I was hundreds of miles away from home that eventually had a class action lawsuit... and dealership service that was far from what I would expect from a premium brand -- telling me "that's just the way it is" when my top leaked and dripped on me in the rain (not in a carwash), bird #$(* allowed to sit on my finish twice while it was waiting for several days in their lot on parts, etc. etc. I sold that car and will never have another BMW because of the experience with the vehicle and two different dealers.
  • My MBZ SLK OTOH has been good reliability-wise in the first 18 months of ownership; only a problem with the convertible top that needed realignment the day after I took delivery; but a special-ordered paint finish that definitely has matching problems across panels to the bumpers and side mirrors that I'm told is "they way they come" so I live with it. My impression is neither German brand has a paint finish as good as any of my Lexi have been.
  • I am a very low mileage guy these days, but always have factory-recommended service done based on time without exception. My impression is the cost of "normal service" at 2 different BMW dealerships is the highest of all; MBZ and Lexus are about the same. Assuming my SLK does not have any major issues after warranty expiration, it will in total cost less than my Lexus for normal maintenance. The subjective opinions I obtained and research I did on various BMW/MBZ sites before purchase, left me with the impression that as years increase after warranty expiration, the cost of maintaining those German brands will exceed that of a Lexus. Also of interest perhaps is BMW seemed to always take days to get parts in when needed, whereas Lexus in all situations except one, has had them in stock or by the next day when needed.
  • If someone is interested in the latest and greatest technology, my impression is the German Brands -- especially MBZ -- tends to lead the pack. BMW & MBZ both also appear to keep improving each MY with new technology as they keep moving it across each of their models, and not just at major refreshes, e.g. new color displays, new infotainment interfaces, support for new iPod/Phones and CarPlay, new or updated safety systems, etc. Whereas, Lexus tends to lag in comparison perhaps because of their more conservative nature and reliability objectives, making changes to their models at new introduction and major mid-life refreshes, but seldom in-between with anything of significance. Lexus may be improving in this more recently, but I still have to give the nod to the other brands from my own experience.
In the end, I feel most confident in my Lexus when it comes to reliability, after sales support and total cost of ownership for the 6-8 years I tend to own a vehicle. My RX300, 400h and 450h have all been nothing but great -- as was my SC300 and SC430. The only reason I looked at and tried the German brands is when Lexus did not have the major features (like a hardtop convertible) that met my mid-life crisis needs.

Last edited by BertL; 02-09-15 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Clarification