RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX extended warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-15, 10:27 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RX extended warranty question

Last April we decided that our 2006 RX was getting tired and we wanted something new. The RX, we thought, was a hair too big and not as fuel efficient a we'd like, but the NX wasn't out yet. So we did a 27 month lease on a 2014 RX and figured we'd turn it in and buy an NX in July 2016.

Turns out we like the size of the RX and using regular gas (versus our old RX which required premium) takes some of the sting out of the fuel costs. More importantly and surprisingly, I am finding that the NX requires premium fuel. The fuel advantage of the NX, even at $4/gal let alone now at "just" $2 is minimal. So maybe we'll buy our RX at lease end.

What's the story with the Lexus warranties available? I had one on our old RX and it worked well. What's available and what do they cost? Can I still get one even though it's almost a year after new-car delivery? Do I shop dealers for this? Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 01-17-15, 11:11 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Daryl,

I suggest you do a couple searches here on extended warranties. Some very lengthy and valuable threads with pros/cons on various versions and if you should even consider buying one. It's probably not worth repeating all that again.

Net is: There are 3rd party versions as well as Lexus versions. For the Lexus ones (which is all I would personally ever consider), there are a couple of tier options, with "Platinum" being the most comprehensive and only a few dollars/year more than the lower one for almost "bumper-to-bumper" warranty like you enjoy with the standard new-vehicle warranty. Your options will go up to a max of 8 years from original purchase date. Availability is via Lexus dealers who set their own price. You can purchase the extended warranty as long as your standard Lexus Warranty is in effect from any dealer who will attach it to your VIN, so it follows your vehicle no matter what dealership you go to in the future service. If you were to sell/trade your RX, you can transfer the extended warranty, or you can cancel it and get a prorated amount back for the unused months. In the threads referenced above, you'll find members list a couple people with their contact info at Lexus dealerships that consistently cut a great price via phone/email/fax. In my particular case on my 2013, my local dealer matched that price, so you can negotiate it to some degree -- no different than your vehicle purchase.

Good luck, and enjoy that RX!
Old 01-18-15, 07:11 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

We were in a similar situation, looking for a "smaller" SUV to replace our 2009 RX. Waited until I could drive the new NX. When we finally did; we didn't like it! Too cramped inside, 4 cylinder, albeit turbocharged, felt underpowered for what we were going to use it for and that premium gas premium as well. So we traded the '09 on a '15 RX. Thought it would be wider than the '09 and were happy with the powered folding mirrors (missing on the NX), but as it turns out, the '15 seems a wee bit narrower mirror to mirror; no need to fold 'em! So we are happy we stuck with the RX. Even though we are only 2, it much better suits the purpose for us.
Old 01-18-15, 08:02 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
We were in a similar situation, looking for a "smaller" SUV to replace our 2009 RX. Waited until I could drive the new NX. When we finally did; we didn't like it! Too cramped inside, 4 cylinder, albeit turbocharged, felt underpowered for what we were going to use it for and that premium gas premium as well. So we traded the '09 on a '15 RX. Thought it would be wider than the '09 and were happy with the powered folding mirrors (missing on the NX), but as it turns out, the '15 seems a wee bit narrower mirror to mirror; no need to fold 'em! So we are happy we stuck with the RX. Even though we are only 2, it much better suits the purpose for us.
I agree. The new styling of the nx had me intrigued, and excited, until I sat in it. Didn't even have to drive it and knew it was too cramped and the seats were uncomfortable. But I really liked the NX styling and build quality. I have a 2013 rx f sport and the only thing I wished it had was a adaptive suspension, which will likely be included on the 2016 model refresh, since that option is on the new, less expensive NX. My only worry is that the new Rx will grow in size to accommodate a third row. Right now I think it is the perfect size, even with my three kids that I have to cart around occasionally. But we will see. The 2016 is supposed to be unveiled in April at the New York auto show.
Old 01-18-15, 09:34 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Daryll40, I changed the title of your thread since you're asking about an extended warranty purchase. Bert is right on the money. I'd just add that there is a fee to transfer the warranty. I'm sure you're aware of that having had extended warranties before.