RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2014 RX 350 rear tilt mirrors adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 07:26 AM
utkinpol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 RX 350 rear tilt mirrors adjustment

Hi,

I have a question about rear tilt mirrors adjustment. Mirrors do tilt a little bit when car is placed in reverse, a manual just states that to do in order to make this function active.

Google search picks up some responses that car is expected to 'memorize' tilt position after you got mirrors tilted, then while in reverse you adjust angle more and after you go back in drive or park it should recall that same memorized angle next time you get in reverse.

My car does not do it. I tried other trick mentioned to start car, then adjust mirrors and seat a little bit, press 'set' and then '1' to memorize new position, then go in reverse and adjust - no use, it does not memorize new tilt angle.

Is it an expected behavior for non-F Sport car? Or was it working on earlier models but does not work on 2014 RX?

Could anybody confirm?
Old 01-07-14, 07:34 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It works this way for my 2010. When I manually angle the mirror down for better visibility, it returns to the original position after I put the car in park.
Old 01-07-14, 07:44 AM
utkinpol
Driver School Candidate

By 'same way' you mean it does not memorize new tilted position after you adjust it? Every time you go in reverse it tilts to same exact spot disregarding previous adjustment?
Old 01-07-14, 07:59 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Think I understand what you mean and if so, then yes, the mirrors will point to the same spot everytime you put the car in (R).

Believe you want to adjust the angle the mirrors are pointing to while in reverse, not sure you can change that.
Old 01-07-14, 08:06 AM
utkinpol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Think I understand what you mean and if so, then yes, the mirrors will point to the same spot everytime you put the car in (R).

Believe you want to adjust the angle the mirrors are pointing to while in reverse, not sure you can change that.
all Toyotas (and most other cars) actually memorize this tilted position if car is equipped with 'memory seats' option, so, I was quite surprised. google says rx does work in same way as all cars but it may be in this 3rd generation it is indeed different. anyway, thanks for the confirmation.
Old 01-07-14, 08:16 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by utkinpol
all Toyotas (and most other cars) actually memorize this tilted position if car is equipped with 'memory seats' option, so, I was quite surprised. google says rx does work in same way as all cars but it may be in this 3rd generation it is indeed different. anyway, thanks for the confirmation.
The side mirrors memorize the angle you set while they are in (D). While in (R) they mirrors will automatically point to the same point every time to give you a better view of the ground.

My 2nd Gen does not have the auto-tilt feature, but because I am low to the ground and have aftermarket rims AND live in NYC I take extra care to avoid curb rash wherever possible. I use the memory seat 2 position to 'point' my mirrors down to exactly where it will benefit me the most. I just hit the 2 position before parking. If you want to turn off the auto tilt function, just leave the mirrors in the 'Neutral' setting and program your seat position the same way. Just have to remember to hit the button before parking. An extra step but gives you the results you want.
Old 01-08-14, 07:12 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

The reverse tilt operation in the RX350 for 2010 and higher is not the same as in other Lexus vehicles i have driven. The mirror doesn't angle down far enough. So you have to manually adjust it down further in order to get a good view of the ground. This has to be done every time you put it in reverse since it always stops short of an optimal downward angle when put in reverse. It doesn't matter that you set the mirror with the memory button. It only goes down so far. The rest is manual and must be done each time you use it. It doesn't memorize the tilt position.
Old 01-08-14, 07:29 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MDames2
The reverse tilt operation in the RX350 for 2010 and higher is not the same as in other Lexus vehicles i have driven. The mirror doesn't angle down far enough. So you have to manually adjust it down further in order to get a good view of the ground. This has to be done every time you put it in reverse since it always stops short of an optimal downward angle when put in reverse. It doesn't matter that you set the mirror with the memory button. It only goes down so far. The rest is manual and must be done each time you use it. It doesn't memorize the tilt position.
I would assume it to be the same for all Lexus SUV series vehicles. It's not designed to point directly to where the rear wheel would meet the sidewalk because the assumption is that you're not putting aftermarket rims on them. Think it's more designed to work in conjuction with the rear view camera and capture the rear quarter panel. Purpose being that you will have larger tire sidewalls and thus more likely to go up on the sidewalk (instead of occurring curb rash) and thus more likely to hit a sign post or fire hydrant. Just an assumption though.

Never tried to set the memory position on the RX but would seem weird that it wouldn't save the downward position you set it at. Any idea on how much of a degree difference from memory?
Old 01-08-14, 08:13 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Back in the day, I tried this feature on an ES loaner. The right mirror would go way down, becoming useless in seeing objects behind the vehicle, such as pedestrians and other cars. If this was still the case, I would certainly disable this feature. However, the 3RX tilts the mirror enough to see more of the sidewalk, yet retains the view of objects behind. If I'm parking next to the curb, I just hit the down button for the mirror adjustment and the mirror moves down, giving me a better view. I like the fact that it will return to its stored position once I'm parked, so I don't have to worry about readjusting it, as I do on my IS300 that doesn't have memory functionality.
Old 01-08-14, 08:44 AM
wase4711
Rookie

Frankly, I hate this feature; I park in my garage, and it annoys the hell out of me when the mirrors go down, so I always "disable" it..
Old 01-08-14, 09:44 AM
2010morx
Rookie

Yeah mines in the garage as well.....as vlad_a stated i can still see objects behind me. Or i too would disable it!
Old 01-08-14, 03:58 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

I too park in my garage each night. However, I park on the street each day at my workplace. I want to see the curb when I back up or have to parallel park. I REALLY don't want to scratch my chrome wheels on the curb. My ES350 used to angle down considerably more than my RX. It allowed me to see the curb without having to re-adjust the mirrors each time. If I was just backing my car out of the garage and wanted to see directly behind me I would put the side view mirror selector in the middle section and the mirrors wouldn't tilt. Then I'd put the switch back to one side or the other when I needed them to tilt. This is not a big deal in my RX, since there is a work around with the manual tilting. But it is less convenient for my purposes anyway.

Last edited by MDames2; 01-08-14 at 04:05 PM.