RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2014 RX350 F-Sport VSC question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-13, 09:41 AM
Browninggo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 RX350 F-Sport VSC question

It's snowing in Michigan. I pushed the stability control button which is by the heated/cool seats control and I noticed it is off on the center console. How do I turn it back on? I see how to turn on the extra traction for snow control but not for stability control. It's the wife's vehicle I haven't drove it much to mess with it. Thanks
Old 11-23-13, 10:17 AM
Blackberry
Driver School Candidate

Press the stability control button again
Old 11-23-13, 10:45 AM
Browninggo
Rookie

I thought I tried that and still showed off...let me go out and try again thanks Blackberry
Old 11-23-13, 10:52 AM
Browninggo
Rookie

I was just in the drive b4 pressing with the control...I drove around the block this time. So press it and it shows Stability TRAC OFF on center info. Press again and it goes to other modes so that is when it is on. Shows steady OFF when not activated. Thanks Blackberry!
Old 11-23-13, 02:36 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Browninggo
It's snowing in Michigan. I pushed the stability control button which is by the heated/cool seats control and I noticed it is off on the center console. How do I turn it back on? I see how to turn on the extra traction for snow control but not for stability control. It's the wife's vehicle I haven't drove it much to mess with it. Thanks
Press it until the yellow icon on the dash disappear. it might take 1-2 seconds of holding the button.
and even if it's says OFF, it's not really OFF ( not engaged). i say LESS sensitive vs when it's ON.
if the computer sense that you need more stability, it will engage on its own.
Old 11-23-13, 05:29 PM
Browninggo
Rookie

Thanks for the info Mark. Greatly appreciated
Old 11-25-13, 11:10 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I believe VSC is not easily defeatable. It is traction control that can be temporarily disabled. On the 450h, driving over 25MPH will re-engage the trac control.
Old 11-25-13, 11:12 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Press and hold the trac-off button for 3 seconds. You will see an orange icon pop up to let you know the vsc is off as well as the center display that says trac-off.
Old 11-25-13, 11:22 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
Press and hold the trac-off button for 3 seconds. You will see an orange icon pop up to let you know the vsc is off as well as the center display that says trac-off.
I'm sure going to try that now on the 450h. Hopefully it works the same way with VDIM.
Old 11-25-13, 12:31 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The '10 450h with the sport package has the ability to turn off VDIM. Haven't figured out how to do it though.
Old 11-25-13, 12:40 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VSC vs VDIM

Just staving off the inevitable question:

Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) is an integrated vehicle handling and software control system developed by Toyota. It involves an omnibus computer linkage of traction control, electronic stability control, electronic steering, and other systems, with the intent of improving responsiveness to driver input, performance, and overall safety.[1] The system was first introduced in the Japanese domestic market in July 2004, when Toyota debuted VDIM on the Crown Majesta. This was followed by the VDIM's export debut on the third generation Lexus GS, which was launched in 2005. VDIM integrates the company's Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), traction control (TRAC), anti-lock brakes (ABS), electronic brakeforce distribution, brake assist and Electric Power Steering (EPS) among other systems[2] which previously worked independently using proprietary software.[1] This way all the systems function together rather than the ECU prioritizing which is the most important. VDIM was initially designed for rear-wheel drive cars.[3]

VDIM's capabilities expand upon Toyota's stand-alone Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) system which was introduced in 1995; VSC remains the baseline electronic stability control system used by the company. VSC by definition does not intervene until after a skid is detected,[4] while VDIM takes measures to prevent skids, slides, or wheel spins rather than just take action after tire slippage has occurred.[1][5] This is done by constantly making corrections in a subtle manner that are transparent to the driver.[6][7][2] In further contrast with VSC, VDIM can also calibrate driver steering input according to vehicle speed, with active steering and throttle adjustments to improve ride quality and directional control during performance driving, such as in slalom courses.[4]

With the EPS system VDIM instantly varies the amount of power steering assist depending on driving conditions.[8] In vehicles equipped with Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS), VDIM also manages steering gear ratios to help the driver maintain control.[9] Initially, the system was only offered on vehicles equipped with Electronically Controlled Brake (ECB), but this is no longer required.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Dynamics_Integrated_Management