RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

dealer installed options?

Old 11-21-13, 08:55 AM
mshumack
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Not sure I'd call nitrogen a farce as there are indeed some benefits of using nitrogen in tires. The scam part, if there is one, comes from the sales guy who makes all kinds of untrue claims about nitrogen.

Nitrogen is just not a tangible value to me. I get concerned when many of my friends have the impression that once they fill their tires with nitrogen they never need to check the tire pressure. If I had a free nitrogen station within a couple miles I'd likely continue to use it. It is not uncommon for me to see a 30-40 degree temperature drop in one day as a cold front comes through. That equates to 3-4 pounds of tire pressure lost which changes the handling characteristics of a vehicle quite noticeably.

Again, my point was not to knock nitrogen but to point out that, for many, a better alternative would be to spend your money on a good air compressor and check and adjust your tire pressure regularly.
I don't use nitrogen either although some of our premium end fleet cars have it and I believ it does have benefits over O2. The two beneifts (biggest IMO) are 1) there is less corrosion to the interior wheel and TMS because of the lower concentration of O2 (moisture and O2 = corrosion), two the nitrogen is denser so it doesn't leak out as quickly (a std O2 tire fill losses about 4psi/month). But the trouble to top-off the nitrogen each month or so, is not worth the trouble to me.
Old 11-21-13, 02:40 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
The dealer probably doesnt have real nitrogen tanks for the fill, probably just an old air compressor with a "Nitrogen" sticker.

Nitrogen does work however, but i've only witnessed actual Indy, Indy Lights, and F1 pit crews use it in their paddocks. It is more stable to expansion with heat cycling but still needs to be monitored.

bottom line, there is no advantage to nitrogen fill for daily drivers.
THAT is the only advantage to it, and yes, I have seen it in use in NASCAR, from Sprint cup down to the old Winston West we used to run we used it because for two hours of a race you can put in 23 lbs and KNOW it will stay that way without expansion., Even then NONE of us used it in our own cars because it is a waste and we got a cylinder for $12.00 at a Gas supply house that would last for many races and we used it for blowing away moisture, rubber dust, you name it; cheap air!! By the way, the $12 is for a refill; the initial tank was under 1500 lbs pressure and costly;