Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Console Storage Box

Old 03-05-13, 11:18 AM   #16
dflowers
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Thanks for the heads up about the extra "secret" space in the console storage. I guess that is where we are supposed to store our gold and silver I would never have known about that space. Nice to have the extra room!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
dflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 12:09 PM   #17
vlad_a
Lexus Test Driver

I actually found the OEM 12-speaker system to exceed my expectations. The subwoofer is enclosed and is in the back. It is a big box that goes under the floor of the trunk. It is the best factory system of any car I owned.

I do not think a simple aftermarket solution in the front will be able to surpass the factory quality. The cig ligher will not have enough power to drive a sub - a direct connection to the battery is needed.

If someone has a base audio system, I would recommend looking into obtaining an OEM sub. Maybe just an enclosure and putting an aftermarket sub in there.

P.S.
Love the secret storage space. It's perfect to put spare clothes for kids.
vlad_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 06:25 PM   #18
dotbowels
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineMan View Post
well. Just remove the folding plastic false floor in the console and ALSO flip sideways the extra door on the left side. You will find another space 3X the size of your armrest storage. There is enough space there for about 7 Ipads stored vertically. It is undocumented in the manual. None of the local Lexus salesmen knew about iy until I showed them.
Thanks for this thread. I emptied mine out and pulled up the bottom. The space is very narrow and I can't find an extra door on the left side. The drivers seat blocks the left side anyway. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks. Dorothy
dotbowels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 07:18 PM   #19
mac12
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotbowels View Post
Thanks for this thread. I emptied mine out and pulled up the bottom. The space is very narrow and I can't find an extra door on the left side. The drivers seat blocks the left side anyway. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks. Dorothy
From the driver's side it is on the left inside the console or toward the front of the vehicle, again inside the console.
Old 03-05-13, 08:38 PM   #20
AKRX
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotbowels View Post
My "secret" door was at the front of the storage space and opened to the left. I was able to fit my manuals into the additional space by placing them in vertically - otherwise the false floor of the storage area wouldn't fit back into place.
AKRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 10:38 PM   #21
s4iscool
Driver School Candidate

boy we could really use some pics here
s4iscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 12:20 AM   #22
SillyGuy
Driver School Candidate

can someone just take photos? ahha
SillyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 04:51 AM   #23
BertL
Lexus Test Driver

As Woodrow suggested back in post #12, there is a picture (albeit a bit small) and description in the owners manual, page 677. Try this online version of that page from Lexus Drivers.
BertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 08:10 AM   #24
dotbowels
Driver

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_03_06.pdf

Page 677 as previously suggested Picture 3 .......................

Explains it pretty good, now when it warms up I will go out & try again. Thanks Dorothy
dotbowels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 08:43 PM   #25
deilenberg
Rookie

Don Eilenberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad_a View Post
I actually found the OEM 12-speaker system to exceed my expectations. The subwoofer is enclosed and is in the back. It is a big box that goes under the floor of the trunk. It is the best factory system of any car I owned.

I do not think a simple aftermarket solution in the front will be able to surpass the factory quality. The cig ligher will not have enough power to drive a sub - a direct connection to the battery is needed.

If someone has a base audio system, I would recommend looking into obtaining an OEM sub. Maybe just an enclosure and putting an aftermarket sub in there.

P.S.
Love the secret storage space. It's perfect to put spare clothes for kids.
Doesn't sound like the 2011 model year. There is a woofer back in the port (left) side side panel in the rear luggage compartment. Nothing I could find under the floor.

And I think the secret hidden space is also a 2013 thing..
Old 03-08-13, 05:14 AM   #26
BertL
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberg View Post
Doesn't sound like the 2011 model year. There is a woofer back in the port (left) side side panel in the rear luggage compartment. Nothing I could find under the floor.

There are differences in speakers based on if one has 9, 12, or Mark Levinson version of the sound system, including if there if a subwoofer or not under the rear cargo area (ML only, I believe). I just checked the thread I started on 2012/2013 differences, and don't see that I found anything about changes to sound systems or speakers between the MYs when I subscribed to TIS last May. We therefore probably need to be a bit more specific in threads like this which of the 3 versions we're talking about.

Yes, the "secret compartment" is a 2013 exclusive until the new MY appears.

As a side note, if someone is looking to improve base response, check out this thread starting around post #13. A couple of posters report good results from adding FatMat or Megamat lining. Further on, MEP has a bunch of good pictures of the sound system locations he lined in his 2010 as well.
BertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-13, 06:41 AM   #27
vlad_a
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberg View Post

That's the woofer I was talking about. It is in a sealed box that extends, albeit slightly, under the floor. Non-ML, 12-speaker version.
vlad_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-13, 07:04 AM   #28
flashydiva
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertL View Post
Folks, for clarity, I think we're at times mixing up two different spaces in this thread.

One is the "open space" literally under the controller that is a pass-thru area from where the drivers and passenger's feet/legs are. This is what I believe the OP was originally talking about in post #1.

The second area is the "secret space" more recently referenced that is completely enclosed under the bottom of the console box where the drivers right elbow generally sits. ...and yes, Woodrow, that is one of the unannounced new things on the 2013 and I fit all my manuals under there (after careful reading)
Thank you. Yes, that is the space I was talking about in Post #1.

Also, thank you for the clarity regarding the 2013 models. I thought I was in the 2010 section, so that makes sense why I couldn't find the secret comparent. Thanks Again.
flashydiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 02:11 PM   #29
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Is it true that Lexus designed that space for Females to put their pocketbooks? If so,I have to put some power tools in there.Anyone remember the film"Mr. Mom"?
My Wife does put her pocket book in there when she's in my RX...LOL.
GoGiantsNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 09:11 AM   #30
TomT127
Driver

The secret space is in the 2012 models. I checked yesterday. The problem was getting to it. Wife has a lot of stuff crammed in the middle console.
edit: I might be confusing this with extra space below the console tray because it's not like the drawing posted in the manual.

Last edited by TomT127; 03-13-13 at 09:15 AM..
TomT127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 09:11 AM

Tags
2010, 350, arm, armrest, box, compartments, console, doesnt, es, es330, hidden, lesus, lexas, lexus, open, rest, storage