RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Nav on RX: is it a must

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-12, 08:39 AM
idahorx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I'm still on the fence, and will think about this a bit more.

Some people mentioned that the Nav package provides control and config for many other car functions. But as far as I can tell from the reference manuals, the Display Audio system provides all of those functions (including the backup camera), except of course for the Nav and Enform capabilities. The Nav costs almost $2K more than the Display Audio system. So what I'm thinking about is whether I'll feel like I spent $2K for something I already have.

And we've had our Honda Pilot for 10 years, and would expect to have this car for about the same period. So resale is not a compelling issue for me at this time.

We currently use our Garmin on road trips, and I always load the latest updates prior to a trip because new roads get built and business move. And since we do our road trips out west, I like the elevation display feature on my Garmin. I'm trying to imagine whether I'd find it useful to have the built-inGPS around town; having it always ready to go.

I'll go ponder this for a while. Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-16-12, 09:30 AM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

"So resale is not a compelling issue for me at this time."
WOW! That's what you should be pondering, as this often overlooked factor can cost you thousands of dollars.
My brother recently, for various reasons, bought a new Cadillac. Two years later he sold it, at 50% of it original cost. My 12 year old SC is at about that percentage right now.
Cars that retain their value, even though more expensive initially, often return the marginal cost increment a few years later at re-sale, and the same often goes for desirable accessories.
As for sticking a Garmin to your windshield, that's just tacky.
Especially if all you care about is appearances, like me.
Old 11-16-12, 09:36 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by idahorx
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I'm still on the fence, and will think about this a bit more.

Some people mentioned that the Nav package provides control and config for many other car functions. But as far as I can tell from the reference manuals, the Display Audio system provides all of those functions (including the backup camera), except of course for the Nav and Enform capabilities. The Nav costs almost $2K more than the Display Audio system. So what I'm thinking about is whether I'll feel like I spent $2K for something I already have.

And we've had our Honda Pilot for 10 years, and would expect to have this car for about the same period. So resale is not a compelling issue for me at this time.

We currently use our Garmin on road trips, and I always load the latest updates prior to a trip because new roads get built and business move. And since we do our road trips out west, I like the elevation display feature on my Garmin. I'm trying to imagine whether I'd find it useful to have the built-inGPS around town; having it always ready to go.

It is a tough call; it is amazing one gets such a half *** NAV in cars for $2K and such a nice one for $300!! I miss my TomTom which always told me actual speed limit and my real speed on face and lanes and notified me of school zones,,,and on and on. Factory NAV is strictly A to B!
Old 11-16-12, 11:32 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
It is a tough call; it is amazing one gets such a half *** NAV in cars for $2K and such a nice one for $300!! I miss my TomTom which always told me actual speed limit and my real speed on face and lanes and notified me of school zones,,,and on and on. Factory NAV is strictly A to B!
Not really surprising about the cost difference. TomTom and Garmin can design stand alone units and continually update them as technology improves, and having them made in China keeps costs down. But a car manufacturer has to spend a lot of engineering time designing a Nav system that knits lots of the car's functions together and since a vehicle has a run of five or six years it's not as easy to upgrade the systems from year to year. Add on the premium we pay for a luxury vehicle and a $2k price tag is not surprising. Compare it to what they get for upgraded wheel or brake options and it isn't out of line.

We keep our vehicles for about ten years so amortized over that period it is very reasonable.
Old 11-16-12, 12:24 PM
jimmymagic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was showing the Lexus service advisor the features on my Garmin (free traffic, lifetime updates, search features, etc) and he said that compared to the Garmin, Lexus wasn't worth the money.

He was also impressed by the after-market mount I had for the unit.

Just sayin'.
Old 11-16-12, 02:06 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Sounds like excuse for someone who doesn't have it....
Old 11-16-12, 02:11 PM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

For Sure. Those Garmin guys go on and on about how wonderful their little bitty small screens are that stick to the windshield like inside spiders. Just let them go.
Old 11-16-12, 02:20 PM
Cruiter

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Harold, I learned long ago in the retail end of the Auto business that the best deal was the one that made the customer the happiest when he wrote the check so ...... Follow your gut. However all the posts re: the value of the factory NAV are pretty much spot on. If you buy a Garmen, TomTom, or Magellan, they excel in working as primarily a GPS. The NAV system in the RX is just that, a Total System controlling all the systems in the car. In the price range the RX resides in, it's considered 'lacking' if you don't have one and expensive if you do but it does have features you'll appreciate down the road (even 10 years hence). Choose well but you'll get a great car either way.
Originally Posted by idahorx

Old 11-16-12, 03:43 PM
waapples
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typical Japanese in Japan never buy a car with Nav option from the factory, the aftermarket built-it navigation + stereo unit is overwhelmingly large and affordable.

There is a navi+system sold by Alpine I really like, I would have a second thought if I would have bought a brand new car. But chances are pretty slim as I always buy 2-3 yrs old used cars, also the first owner sucks up the cost of having all these options.
Also you have to worry whether the steering wheel functions would carry on or not.

As much as portable they can get, I don't like to use those portable GPS units as the screens are just way too small. I know there are big screen ones available but they are still smaller than I want them to be.

Good luck!
Old 11-16-12, 05:07 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Have you seen dash designs lately? Installing your own radio days are behind us
Old 11-16-12, 08:15 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimmymagic
I was showing the Lexus service advisor the features on my Garmin (free traffic, lifetime updates, search features, etc) and he said that compared to the Garmin, Lexus wasn't worth the money.

He was also impressed by the after-market mount I had for the unit.

Just sayin'.
I agree, I have considered using my portable and than I can monitor Gas mileage/load on
the so called NAV screen....lol
Old 11-16-12, 08:17 PM
upnorth85
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We bought our 2013 2 weeks back. We too struggled with it. But the more I studied the Nav system with my Google Navigation, I realized that the Nav system is way behind Google's dynamic system. With the audio/rear cam package I can do all of the settings on screen and have the enhanced blue tooth as well. Garmins have lane assist, they show the speed limit on the highway etc., and I did not see many such features on the Nav system. As far as resale value goes, we have never sold any vehicle. Use it and pass it on to relatives. Same thing in my home, I make modifications and enjoy the home rather than worry what change might affect the resale value. It is easier earning a bit more money than not enjoying what you have.

So with the enform system already there, a Nav system does not add much if any value to me and so I decided to not have it. You can throw the $200 Garmin every 2 years. You might be stuck with an outdated Nav system for longer period if you plan to keep your vehicle.
Old 11-17-12, 06:22 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

After going to the Garmin web site and looking at the nüvi® 3590LMT for $380 I don't know why you'd get anything else. Lifetime everything, Voice Command, Touch Screen, Bluetooth everything, Data Cards, and on and on. It has it all!!

But then I really want the GoPro HD Hero3 camera!! So probably no Garmin in my future.

For me, when I sat in my first RXh, I thought this is the way I want to drive. Relaxed, comfortable and in a natural driving position and my right arm resting comfortably on the arm rest with my hand sitting on top of the remote controller. No reaching for *****, buttons, sliders and no leaning forward to punch a touch screen. Everything controlled by my right hand and left hand on the steering wheel controls. This was it, this is how I want to drive!

Now into my second RXh, I've learned better. Yes, the wipers start automatically, yes the headlights auto dim, but I have to move my arm and hand to change the cruise control. Now if they only would put the voice command start button down by the the menu, arrows and map buttons so I can call Mother Lexus to download destinations for me even easier, I could almost drive without moving.

I don't know for sure what that $2,000 navigation really gives me rather than a $400 Garmin, but I like it!!

Last edited by DunWkg; 11-17-12 at 06:27 AM.