RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 450-Intuitive Park Assist

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 06:32 AM
cat350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 450-Intuitive Park Assist

I have this feature on my 2006 car (a Mercedes R) and would like it on an RX. The dealer tried to discouage me, and seemed uninformative. Is this available on the RX? and does it conflict with the back-up camera and the navigation package?
Old 03-07-11, 07:02 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cat350
I have this feature on my 2006 car (a Mercedes R) and would like it on an RX. The dealer tried to discouage me, and seemed uninformative. Is this available on the RX? and does it conflict with the back-up camera and the navigation package?
To me, the Park Assist is very valuable. It saved me a few times when there were raindrops on the rear camera and I couldn't clearly see/judge the distance between the bumper and what's behind.

Having this would not in any way conflict with your camera or nav package, in fact it works with the above to give you a higher awareness of your surroundings.

Sorry, did I just sound like a commercial? I really love that feature!
Old 03-07-11, 08:59 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Its even better when you have it with navigation because then the picture of the sonar comes up on the backup camera at the same time so it is all integrated. for 500, its a bargain almost.

That said, I dont find it too helpful. Even at the lowest volume, and shortest distance set, it still beeps way too early. lol
Old 03-07-11, 09:48 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PA definitely works as intended. It came on my 450h that was on the lot that I purchased. I had never has this option on a vehicle before. I enjoy having it as an option, but I would not special order a vehicle just to have the PA option.
Old 03-07-11, 10:01 AM
Barrington
Rookie

Our new 2011 RX has it and I think it is a great feature. It comes in handy when a certain family member pulls in and out of the garage!
Old 03-07-11, 04:06 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

If you can go to another dealer that could help this one is just out to sell you what he have on lot.
Old 03-07-11, 08:01 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i have park assist, and i love it. esp helpful if you are backing into a parking spot and you don't want to stick your head out the window looking backwards to make sure you don't hit anything!
Old 03-09-11, 09:08 PM
Mossy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The X Men
The Intuitive Parking Assist is available in the Rx350, but it only comes in the following option package in the NY area:

•Leather-trimmed interior
•Lexus Memory System
•Power moonroof
•USB audio input
•Rear-armrest storage compartment with cover
•Power rear door
•Electrochromic (auto-dimming) outside mirrors
•Intuitive Parking Assist
•Heated front seats
•Backup camera [1]•Wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift ****

If you want additional options such as Navigation system and whatever else, you will need to special order your RX350. Most dealers discouage their customers from special orders and want to sell you what they have on their lot.
Actually, not necessarily true that a special order would be required. IPA was high on my list as well, along with Navi and RSES. I live in NY and my dealer happened to have two RXs with the package above, plus RSES and Navi on the lot. This was after another dealer tried to dissuade me from pursuing the IPA, saying that Lexus typically does not put them on cars with the backup camera because they believe it would be redundant. As others have said, my experience is that they work hand in hand very nicely. Although I don't rely solely on these tools, I would not be comfortable with just the camera. Just an added measure of security.

Having said this, the front sensors do tend to go off quite a bit. Just pulling through a drive thru (bank, pharmacy, food) or parking close to a pillar and they go crazy. I guess that's the point though.
Old 03-09-11, 09:21 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mossy
This was after another dealer tried to dissuade me from pursuing the IPA, saying that Lexus typically does not put them on cars with the backup camera because they believe it would be redundant. As others have said, my experience is that they work hand in hand very nicely. Although I don't rely solely on these tools, I would not be comfortable with just the camera. Just an added measure of security.
yeah, agree with the above. both ipa and the camera work hand in hand very well together

Having said this, the front sensors do tend to go off quite a bit. Just pulling through a drive thru (bank, pharmacy, food) or parking close to a pillar and they go crazy.
could be either your sensor is defective or some dirt on the sensor. try wiping your front sensors clean and see if you get less false positives. if you get the same problem, might be time to have the dealer take a look at it
Old 03-10-11, 10:12 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

the ones that I have go off all the time in the drive up I just turn it off there and go on with life
Old 03-17-11, 09:54 AM
cactusgary
Driver School Candidate

Default Park assist

Originally Posted by cat350
It is not the same nor as good as the merc I have both. The "engineers" at Toyota inadvertently left out a front sensor - so believe it or not - you can bump into a car in front of you - wreck your bumper etc. Now that is progress! Have no idea why they would do that. The park assist should be renamed low impact speed assist It does not conflict with the backup camera.
Old 03-17-11, 10:20 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ cost savings. If you buy a GS, GX, LS, GX, you get the extra two sensors
Old 03-17-11, 03:12 PM
cactusgary
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
Its even better when you have it with navigation because then the picture of the sonar comes up on the backup camera at the same time so it is all integrated. for 500, its a bargain almost.

That said, I dont find it too helpful. Even at the lowest volume, and shortest distance set, it still beeps way too early. lol
What about the front? Any idea why the indicator only beeps for the sides and not the front of the car distance?
Old 03-17-11, 03:17 PM
cactusgary
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ cost savings. If you buy a GS, GX, LS, GX, you get the extra two sensors

Thanks I did not see your earlier post - really am annoyed by this - the car (all options) cost more than a Diesel ML - which I now regret not buying.
Old 03-20-11, 01:41 PM
cactusgary
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The X Men
A MB ML350 BlueTEC option like a fully loaded RX350 will cost $63300, while the Rx350 fully loaded cost $57000.
I am talking CDN prices: the 450h, fully loaded was 74,000; the equivalently optioned ML diesel was 73,000.