RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Genie Intellicode and Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-03, 02:03 PM
eisens
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genie Intellicode and Homelink

My Genie garage door opener uses Intellicode (rolling codes). I read the Lexus & Genie books but still can't get it to work

Can someone walk me through this?

I put the opener up to the Homelink and got them in sync (I think)

Do I now have to do something on the Genie end???

HELP
Old 10-22-03, 02:52 PM
johnnieliu
Driver

It took me a number of tries to do the programming. I can't remember the exact steps, but what did the trick for me was a "2 button push" to reset the RX330 Homelink memory. Once reset, I had to depress my Genie's remote while pushing one of the 3 Homelink buttions. The last step was to press a button on the Genie "head unit" to turn off the rolling code feature, and within 30 seconds, press the same Homelink button I used in the previous step. Kind of vague, but it worked for me. Hopefully, you can put these suggestions togther with the reference material and make it work.

JL
Old 10-22-03, 05:26 PM
o8yb
Rookie

I have genie too.
In the RX330 manual, it states you hold the button for 30 seconds. No, that doesn't work in my case. after many tries, I decided to hold it longer until it work I have to hold it for like 60 to 75 second before homelink register it (blink). After that it works great. Try to hold the home link button longer.
Old 10-22-03, 07:38 PM
wantalexus
Rookie

I also had to do this several times. It seemed that I was doing everything correctly, but it still wouldn't work. What I finally had to do was push the "learn" button on the opener itlself after programming the remote. Read the manual for the opener and find out where this button is. Mine is on the back. After you push it the light will flash once meaning that it has registered the new remote. You might need to do this for your other remotes also after programming the homelink. I had to but am not sure if I had everything so screwed up that I had to start everything over again.
Old 10-24-03, 02:50 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not sure how the specific Genie model differs from my Sears Craftsman brand with rolling random codes, but in my case the Lexus manual said to program the Homelink using the remote like normal, then go to the motor mechanism on the ceiling and press the program botton on the unit. From that time you have 30 seconds to go into the car and press the homelike button that you just programed and the main unit then learns the codes. It worked for me on the first try.
Old 10-24-03, 04:34 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in as a Genie Intellicode garage door opener/HomeLink user. I also had trouble getting it to program correctly. Here is what I found out after trial and error (too many trials!).

First, you must clear the memory of the HomeLink system by pressing the 2 outside buttons for 20 seconds until the light flashes. Then you can program the HomeLink button by pressing and holding the button you want to program for 20 seconds until the light begins to flash. Next, bring the front of the Genie garage door opener to within an inch or less of the HomeLink button you are programming and press the garage door opener button. The light will flash faster once it 'learns' the code. If it doesn't then keep trying by pressing the button on the garage door opener and moving the opener around the HomeLink button a bit. This part can be tricky. Once this step is complete, the rest is easy. Climb a ladder and press the training or learning button on your garage door opener and within 30 seconds get down and press the programmed HomeLink button 2 - 3 times about 1 second apart. This has worked for me every time. The tricky part is getting the HomeLink button programmed. Just keep trying and moving the remote opener around the HomeLink button until it flashed rapidly.

Hope this helps you guys.

Jeremy
Old 10-26-03, 06:20 PM
tyberco
Driver School Candidate

I have a Genie opener with rolling codes. It took me a while to figure out how to set the Homelink, but I finally did it. There are basically two steps, and I was only doing one.

First, program a homelink button to match up with your remote. Directions for this are in the Lexus owner's manual.

Second, program the opener to recognize your newly programmed homelink button. Directions for this are in the Genie manual (available on their website if you don't have yours.)

Sorry I don't have the specifics, but it was very easy once I realized I needed to do both steps.

Hope this helps.

Ty

Last edited by tyberco; 10-26-03 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-26-03, 10:19 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by tyberco

Second, program the opener to recognize your newly programmed homelink button. Directions for this are in the Genie manual (available on their website if you don't have yours.)

Sorry I don't have the specifics, but it was very easy once I realized I needed to do both steps.

Hope this helps.

Ty
I believe the direction for rolling code openers are also in the Lexus Owners manual. That is were I got the information to program my rolling code opener.
Old 04-04-21, 05:12 AM
L3xusGX
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremyp111
Count me in as a Genie Intellicode garage door opener/HomeLink user. I also had trouble getting it to program correctly. Here is what I found out after trial and error (too many trials!).

First, you must clear the memory of the HomeLink system by pressing the 2 outside buttons for 20 seconds until the light flashes. Then you can program the HomeLink button by pressing and holding the button you want to program for 20 seconds until the light begins to flash. Next, bring the front of the Genie garage door opener to within an inch or less of the HomeLink button you are programming and press the garage door opener button. The light will flash faster once it 'learns' the code. If it doesn't then keep trying by pressing the button on the garage door opener and moving the opener around the HomeLink button a bit. This part can be tricky. Once this step is complete, the rest is easy. Climb a ladder and press the training or learning button on your garage door opener and within 30 seconds get down and press the programmed HomeLink button 2 - 3 times about 1 second apart. This has worked for me every time. The tricky part is getting the HomeLink button programmed. Just keep trying and moving the remote opener around the HomeLink button until it flashed rapidly.

Hope this helps you guys.

Jeremy
I know this is an old thread but wanted to say these directions are still spot on for 2021 models. As others have mentioned in follow up posts, you must do both parts in the manual to get the Homelink to work correctly which isn't very clear. Either way, I'm just thankful for the post since I was about to just Velcro my old garage door opener to the inside roof line.