RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Door is permanently LOCKED!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-15, 06:39 PM
hgogate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door is permanently LOCKED!

Ok so I know this is gonna get some laughs from some of you.... but have NO CLUE how to solve this problem

I read the DIY of replacing the actuator motor on the 2008 RX350. Took out the actuator... no issue, opened the clips... no issue there either. However when I was prying the plastic open, the actuator slipped and the plastic opened up spilling the main gear on the ground. I was however able to put in the new motor, put the actuator back like before (or so i thought), closed everything up... looked fine, put it back in the car.
Tried the door locks and they worked!!! So I shut the door...... thats where the problem began. I CANT OPEN IT ANYMORE!!! Neither from the inside or the outside!!!! Both door handles (inside and out) are non responsive. The door locks work fine, car appears to lock but the door is non- openable!

So I think ... when i was putting it all together, the gears in the actuator are supposed to somehow connect to the actual lock mechanism piece (the one between the door and the car body which is wedged into the actuator), which is what i forgot to connect (or slipped out when it fell to the ground).

I could fix it... if i can get the damn door open. Hell Ill buy a new actuator... if i can get the door open...... can anyone tell me how the hell to get the door open????? Help!!!

Thanks
Old 05-03-15, 05:40 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this has happened to customers cars in the past (when i worked at Acura) the only way, is to get into the car (obviously use another door) and remove the door panel. it will be very difficult, and you may damage it. but there really isnt another option.

i never did damage the door panels, they are pretty tough and can take alot of abuse

goodluck
Old 05-03-15, 06:53 PM
hgogate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess thats the only option.... i tried everything else. The problem is that the trim is hidden beneath the rest of the body trim/upholstry on the inside. Im sure the clips will be damaged taking it out. Im gonna consider taking it to a body shop tomorrow to see if there is another way.
A friend recommended taking the entire door off.... although I'm not sure thats a good idea!
Old 05-04-15, 12:04 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

by taking off the door i assume you mean un bolting the hinges. if so, you will still have to deal with the latch.

not to mention the door is very heavy, and awkward. you might end up damaging paint which will cost you.
Old 05-04-15, 03:00 PM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a long shot , If the door is just not unlocking maybe you could slid a wedge in between the glass and the outer door panel to give you maybe 1/2 inch gap and slide some kind of rod or slim Jim or door unlocking tool of some kind down to the latch and catch the latch arms . you would be fishing in the dark but you might get lucky and catch the right spot . Kind of like the old days of breaking into cars . Taking the door panel off with it shut is almost impossible .Might help to take seat out first . A body shop would be a good place to try this , they have done it in the past if they have been around any length of time .