RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 rx350 wheel lock socket

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 02:21 PM
jrod82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Best way, go to McGard website. You only need to email them the picture of your lock. They will sell you a key, in less than a week. Cost maybe around $15 tops. It is a shame that the Lexus dealer did not get you a key, they have the master keys for all of the locks (I think there are only 7 keys). I know this because a Lexus Tech showed me. They should have ordered you one gratis.

I have dumped my locks on the RX. Ask me why...one tire rotation, I left the key on the lock and it went to lala land. So I tokk pics, McGard sent me the key.

I still have them on the SC and IS.

In my checklist when rotating tires, final step, take key off lock and keep safe.

Lesson well learned. I must admit I have done it 2x (leave key on lock after I bought a new key and both times found the key in our driveway once and you would not believe it, the 2nd was found on the street by the subdivision entrance, by chance (wife did). Just imagine the crap that I had to endure from the wifey!

Have you heard the line...you are getting old!
McGard came through for me $14.99 including shipping. Very helpful staff. The dealer wanted over $40 for a replacement.
Old 05-12-15, 06:26 PM
tawm
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Locking Nuts Are Too Much Trouble

One of my McGuard Wheel Lock nuts stripped at the dealer -- changing from snows to all season tires every year (and back) took its toll - even though I use separate sets of rims. Although McGuard was very good about sending replacements, ultimately I chose to take them off and just use regular lug nuts. Too much trouble (and risk of being unable to get them off in a flat tire scenario) otherwise.
Old 05-13-15, 10:58 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Last month I accidentally broke the head of the key to remove the locks. At the same time the head of the lock in the tire broke in half. To make a long story short I took the car to a tire shop and they were able to remove all four wheel locks with an special tool for about $20, problem solved.!

Went back to Lexus dealer and purchased a new set of wheel locks with a lock.

Lesson to learn here is that it took the guy less than 5 minutes to remove all four locks without the key, and he was taking his time. I was thinking that if someone really wants all four tires they can have them providing someone has the same tool, looks pretty much like an impact socket. My impression is that wheel locks provide very little protection against petty thieves but not against the pros.

Lets be realistic, next time this happens I am not going to spend a dime on wheel locks ever in my life. What is the point?.
I saw it with my own eyes...