RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Brake Indicator Light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-13, 08:56 PM
Bill C
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brake Indicator Light?

I have a problem with the Brake indicator light. After I release the Parking Brake, the light goes off, but comes back on intermittently,
I thought it was a bad or sticky switch on the Parking Brake, but I was told that it could be indicating bad front brake pads.
It's a 2007 RX 350, with 100K miles. No brake problems, that I know of ?.
Old 12-01-13, 09:19 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

low brake fluid...
Old 12-02-13, 12:07 PM
steven4422
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having similar issue, my brake light button still lit up after fixing brakes and brake fluid topped off...
Old 12-02-13, 12:54 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Could be the brake switch. Do a search on brake switch.
Old 12-05-13, 04:17 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Read your owners manual. That light is for more than just letting you know that the parking brake is on. There is a problem with the system.
Old 12-08-13, 01:11 AM
Bill C
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brake Indicator Light?

Thank You very much. I added about 3 oz of brake fluid and the light is now off!
Old 12-08-13, 06:11 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill C
Thank You very much. I added about 3 oz of brake fluid and the light is now off!
Wondering where that 3 oz. of brake fluid went??? I'd have this inspected.
Old 01-02-14, 03:01 PM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New here so I hope I don't step on any toes!

Searched everywhere but can't come up with a solution.
2008 RX350, 60K miles.

Instrument panel brake light stays on (BRAKE displayed) and a single beep is emitted only when accelerating at low speed - like from a stop.

>Adjusted parking brake per posts. (Both nuts are 10mm and need a deep socket).

>Checked and topped off the brake fluid reservoir (it was low but not empty).

>Repeatedly moved the brake fluid reservoir interior float up and down.

>Low brake fluid usually means the pistons for the disc brakes are filling up as the brakes are worn down in my experience.

>Checked online to find out about brake wear sensors but the RX 350 apparently doesn't have them.

>Re-set the computer by disconnecting the battery for an hour.

Questions:

1. Anyone have knowledge of the cause of the brake light being continuously on?

2. Will a brake job solve the issue? (There is the possibility that it could be a faulty switch somewhere.)

3. Any recommendation of a brake pad brand / material? Quality trumps cost IMO.

4. Considering replacing the rotors. Brand recommendation?

Thanks for any knowledge, suggestions, and replies.
Old 01-02-14, 03:33 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, GWD.

Did you have a scan tool attached to your RX to read the error code? Always a good idea instead of just clearing the error. The CEL on the dash do not always give full and proper information for a diagnosis. Parts stores such as AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts normally will read these errors for free.

According to the Owner's Manual here are some of the reasons why that light comes on:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_05_02.pdf

Brake Indicator Light?-screen-shot-2014-01-02-at-6.21.51-pm.png

Sound familiar?

So, I would be looking at the parking brake as the main culprit. Perhaps those are not releasing properly on the rear of your RX. Note that these are separate from the rear brakes themselves and are more like the old drum brakes.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X350-2008.html

As for brake pad brand, you can stick with the OEM or perhaps even Akebono which produces many of the OEM pads for a number of manufacturers. The latter are available from Amazon and a number of other places such as RockAuto.com. Rotors would be OEM or Centric, IMO.
Old 01-02-14, 07:19 PM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

RX330inFL: Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions.

The CEL is not on, just the brake indication light.

I sincerely hoped the problem was the brake fluid level. Filling the tank didn't get the hoped results. That is why the little float was pumped up and down. It seemed like some air was expelled when this was done. My other thought was that a little bubble of air is still in the sensor and preventing a electrical connection from happening.

On my Tundra, the emergency brake chime will sound continuously rather than just the occasional single beep at low speed like with the Lexus. That is what is causing confusion. But I'll see if the parking brake pedal area can be accessed. When the parking brake was being adjusted it was very difficult to see much of anything.

The parking brake cable "wishbone" under the driver's seat area was checked with the brake on and off. When on, everything was tight. When off, the cables were all loose. It doesn't seem like any drag is happening on the parking brakes.

So, in summary, I'll try:
>Revisiting the brake fluid reservoir.
>Get an evaluation from a scan tool.
>I think the parking brake on/off switch is on the parking brake pedal somewhere rather than on the pads. The switch will try to be located.

Thanks for the suggestions for the brand of new pads and rotors. That will be the direction I'll take.
Old 01-02-14, 07:44 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GWD
The CEL is not on, just the brake indication light.
That was just a general reference to any of the dash warning lights which come on and not just the "Check Engine Light." These warning lights come on in the oddest combinations and for various reasons which do not always seem to correlate to the problem. Thus, the need for actual error codes from the scan tool.
Old 01-02-14, 09:09 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my parking brake cable stick one time and gave the same notice. I had to spray some liquid graphite into the cable cover to release the cable. It is hard to get to but do any place the cable goes into the cover, even at the P-brake pedal. This was on my 2000RX 300.
Old 01-03-14, 04:57 AM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me this weekend. I'll report back (Pet peeve: when someone asks for help and then disappears from the forum.)

Hey, jgr7, I'm located in Vacaville as well - small world. Is there a Lexus mechanic locally that you recommend? (Hijack my own post!)

The parking brake switch has been found for around $30 so I know what it looks like. The "where is it" is the issue. Being under the dash a couple of times has been discouraging with my ham hands. It may be best to try to dismount the whole pedal apparatus.

(EDIT: Did some more searching and found a parts diagram. But the most helpful was eBay - of all places. There were photos of units for sale. It also appears that there are three (maybe two) mounting bolts if I can get to them.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Indicator Light?-lexusparkingbrake.jpg  

Last edited by GWD; 01-03-14 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-03-14, 07:59 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GWD
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me this weekend. I'll report back (Pet peeve: when someone asks for help and then disappears from the forum.)

Hey, jgr7, I'm located in Vacaville as well - small world. Is there a Lexus mechanic locally that you recommend? (Hijack my own post!)

The parking brake switch has been found for around $30 so I know what it looks like. The "where is it" is the issue. Being under the dash a couple of times has been discouraging with my ham hands. It may be best to try to dismount the whole pedal apparatus.

(EDIT: Did some more searching and found a parts diagram. But the most helpful was eBay - of all places. There were photos of units for sale. It also appears that there are three (maybe two) mounting bolts if I can get to them.
I haven'thad to use a local mechanic for my RXs, just traded my 08 for a 14 Fsport. I have used Stones automotive though for brakes and tires as well as some other work on non Lexus cars like Honda.
Old 01-04-14, 01:00 PM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

Update:

First, decided to eliminate the brake fluid issue. Removed the tank and tipped it all directions then started the car. Brake light still on. Removed the plug-in. Light still on. Attached a jumper between the plug's two contact. Light still on. Brake fluid as a problem eliminated.

Next was the parking brake switch. Had to remove the bottom door panel (no screws, just several clips), the panel to the left of the parking brake (two plastic plugs), and the lower dash panel (10mm bolt on the left side, Phillips head screw behind a hidden panel on the right side, then several clips). The panel was left hanging from the several wires.

The switch could be clearly seen. It had rotated enough that the special bracket on the brake pedal arm could not depress the activation button. The switch was rotated back and the car started. NO BRAKE LIGHT!

The switch was fairly tight and the single Phillips head screw just could not be accessed for tightening without removing the parking brake assembly. And I had a couple of 90* screwdrivers to try. (Forget it, the whole dash area would have to be removed.) Instead, some hot glue and duct tape was used to secure the switch.

It is all back together and working just fine.

Thanks to all for the guidance. Hopefully, I can help someone in kind if the opportunity presents itself.